Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Official Lyrics Q&A Thread....

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BassWizard55, Apr 20, 2003.

1. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    I thought this might be a good idea to share our interpretations of lyrics.

I'll start it off with a question...What is the 'neon god' in Simon & Garfunkel's 'Sounds of Silence'? I assume it is somesort of sign, but is it a metaphor for something?

2. Personally, I try not to get too deep into interpretting someone's lyrics. There are times when it's pretty blatant what a person means when they write a song and other times when it is somewhat more abstract. I feel that the interpretation of lyrics is sort of a personal experience in which the combination of songs and lyrics can invoke a feeling in you that the writer might not have anticipated or intended.

For example, "Burn One Down" was one of my favorite songs for a long time. I felt I connected with it in a very personal way...until I found out that it was a song about legalizing marijuana. In retrospect it is pretty obvious what the song was about, but I was blissful in my ignorance, and finding out that it was something as trivial as that destroyed the mystique surrounding the song. Now I don't enjoy the song much at all.

My girlfriend and I used to exchange songs with one another that we liked because they invoked a special feeling in us, even if the lyrics talked about "wanting to kick your man outta the house," or "My woman done me wrong".

That being said. I think by "neon god" it's an allegory for the way in which people commodify and commercialize spirituality. Making the world and spirituality and the journey of life into less of a personal experience and more of a social one while sacrificing any hope of finding themselves.

IMO.

3. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    Well said. I have a new found respect for you Will.

4. Now dance.

;)

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    What the heck is Freddy Mercury saying in Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust"? You know the part where he says, "I'm not adopted," or "I'm not a doctor," or "I need a doctor."

What are you saying Freddy!? Aaaaaaarrrrrrgh!

What about when the Steve Miller Band sings, "Bingo Jed had a light on"? Who's Jed? Why did he leave the light on?

Think about it, I'll wait.

6. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Big ol' jet airliner

It's a commonly misheard lyric...

7. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    most people over-analyze songs. most songs are much more simple than they think. ive gotten pretty good at interpreting.

try to interpret Blood Brothers lyrics, now thats a different story...

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Here's a lyrical question for you hategear... in the Gwar song "Penis I see" is it based on an actually murder/rape or is it just being general... the whole "Stiched up like a baseball head." and "Now she's in the funny papers."

crazy dave brockie.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

This is true in a lot of cases, especially modern music is very upfront about everything, but in a lot of cases there are little stories behind lyrics or metaphors, etc. Ya know, that's why I think this is a good idea for a thread. I started a thread like this a while back, it bombed. I hope this one does better.

10. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I hope HateGear was kidding, especially since the song's title is........Jet Airliner!

11. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
  12. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Actually, I always thought it was about Dave's love for America's Favorite Pastime.

What about "choke me in the shallow waters, before I get too deep"? What does that mean, huh?

13. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Actually, nothing. She said she was just singing stuff off the top of her head when they came up with that song.

14. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I heard on the radio that STP's "Interstate Love Song" was about an affair in a roadside rest area. I just read the lyrics and have to say, I don't see that at all. Is it just because of the title? Am I stoopid?

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Not a bad thread Idea, though I can imagine it could get pretty muddied, especially when Mooks like me toss in...

joni mitchell!?! what the hell is she talking about:confused:

:p

16. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I was always rather fond of the Credence (CCR) song Bad Moon Rising.

Therrrrrrrrrrrrre's a bathroom on the right..."

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Wow, that is absolute gold. I was just about to bring up the "kiss this guy" mishearance (as they put it) in this thread.

That website will keep me entertained for a while. :D