Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Official Markbass Club Pt. 2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JimmyM, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
  2. Dave Muscato

Dave Muscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I need to upload the pics from my camera, but I have new ones of my small rig, which includes a LMII and a Schroeder 1210L (my big rig is in my signature).

3. Register_To_Disable

4. Well, well, well.
    Who'd have thought that (so called) ugly little black and yellow thingy would have reached a THOUSAND posts?
    Lucky Markbass aren't popular hey?

Way to go Marco!
    Can't wait to read what we're talking about at 2000 posts!
    Momark I presume?

5. Dave Muscato

Dave Muscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Here's a pic, finally!

[​IMG]

The whole rig (including bass) weighs less than 50 pounds, I can carry it in one load from the van (cab in one hand, cable bag with head in the other, and bass in a bag on my back), and I've used it to play to 800+ with a full band and NO P.A. support! :bassist:

Only need the two cables pictures (Phil Jones Speakon-to-1/4" speaker cable, and Monster Bass 1/4"-1/4" instrument cable), plus the power cable for the amp.

MTD Kingston Artist 5 --> Monster Bass 21' 1/4" angled to 1/4" straight --> Markbass LMII --> Phil Jones Speakon-to-1/4" --> Schroeder 1210L

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Cool how you guys bring up your single speaker rigs just as I'm coming to the conclusion that I think I prefer single speakers these days. I never used to, but I think I do now. It took a long time to get used to it because I equate bass with big (or at least medium), but when I use a single speaker, my sound is way more even across the stage, and it moves plenty enough air to make me quite happy.

I've been trying to adhere more closely to things Bill FM says about sound onstage, and the more I do what he says, the better it keeps sounding to me. My main rig used to be a Mini CMD121P on a B-15 cab, but now I'm alternating between my Mini CMD121P by itself or a B-15 by itself. It's funny...I used to not care about any of this audiophile crap like comb filtering and phasing and beaming and all that, and now I'm realizing it's all a major reason I haven't ever been completely happy with my live sound. At first I thought the Markbass combo sounded a little thin by itself, but angling it up toward my head and rolling off excess highs with the VLE fattens it up and tames that piezo down. So maybe there is something to that audiophile crap after all ;)

7. Bassybill: Replying from the first thread. Thanks for the suggestion of the Mark Stand. I had no idea they had such a thing but I found another solution. I raised the 102P about a foot above the 151HR to see how it would be with a 6 space rack under it and it was fine. Then, naturally, I figured there would be rack spaces to fill so I grabbed my ART Pro Channel and ran it through the effects loop and it sounds fantastic. The tube preamp really warms up the sound and can overdrive very nicely, the compressors work well, and the eq is very handy. So I'm happy as a clam.

The only thing I want now is a way to attenuate the 102P. Anyone got ideas on how to do that? (I'm electronically handicapped)

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Attenuating a Markbass combo? Have you tried a thick sponge? ;) That's about the only thing you can do that won't void the warranty.

9. I agree, I take with me my Avatar Neo 2x10 for just in case scenarios, but have really not found any such situation so far, the CMD 121P works just fine in bar settings.

10. Oh, thanks Jimmy. Didn't consider the warranty! Guess I'll just leave them as they are then.

11. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Have any of you guys seen a 121H speaker cab (1x12) at any of your friendly Markbass (GC) dealers?

12. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Well, Misfit-X and BassyBill's posts (near the end of Part 1) inspired me to post mine. I don't need a number since I've had the 210 combo since November or December. But I recently got the Traveler 115 to go with the combo. I got the Traveler because of the light weight. I really like the combination so far. The only thing I like better about my old rack system is the rack-mount tuner. I miss having that readily available. Here it is:

[​IMG]

13. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

i asked my GC a couple months back and watched one in a box go out the door...haven't seen or played through one on the floor yet...bass player gave it some rave reviews, though

14. JMDT

JMDT

Jan 30, 2008
    Louisville, Ky
    Here's my LMII. Do I get a number now?

[​IMG]

15. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    JeffK, nice rig! Identical to my own, as you will have read, I think.

Tuner - I have a little Korg tuner with a built in mic that I velcro to the front of the combo by the control panel (and yes, my wireless receiver is velcroed to the side, or the top ;)). Works perfectly. If I want to tune muted I can just unplug the jack from the combo and stick in into the tuner. That said, I generally just tune using the built in mic at the start of the night and that's sufficient.

16. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Thanks Bill. Good idea about the tuner.

17. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yep!

MBCM #148 JMDT!

18. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    This is the one I have, it's about the same size as my Nokia N95 cellphone, only a little thinner front-to-back:

http://www.amazon.com/Korg-CA-30-Chromatic-Tuner/dp/B000EE2136

[​IMG]

As I said, just two strips of velcro on the back and it sticks to the left of the control panel like **** to a blanket, works great for me.

This is one advantange of carpet covering for gear. Velcro is your friend. Now I just need to remove the cat hairs... :D

19. Does it have backlighting? That's usually my gripe concerning cheaper tuners, hard to see anything on stage...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.