1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Markbass Club - the beat goes on, and on....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Apr 27, 2012.

1. agot

agot

Nov 1, 2013
    Vienna
    My Rock Duck

TrevorG and StatesideRambler like this.
  2. Forty-plus years ago when my not-yet-wife and I spent a weekend in San Diego we picked up a souvenir stuffed animal. I have no idea what it was but when we got home it needed a name. That was my assignment and I told her it was Sam. Sam Diego. OK, boo, hiss. It later became my amp-top mascot. It’s gone and I miss it!

Another time I got her three garden art critters. The big one is made of a rake, the medium one of a spade and the small one of a claw rake. Names? Darling (little guy), Clem (medium one) and Tine (the one made of a rake, of course!). Sorry.

3. TrevorR

TrevorR

Oct 3, 2015
    Near London, UK
    Not unlike this, I guess!
    upload_2021-3-26_7-7-49.jpeg

4. agot

agot

Nov 1, 2013
    Vienna
  5. TrevorG

TrevorG Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.

Oh yes!! .....of course!

6. Jamarvic

Jamarvic Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Greetings MB brethren. Just scored a used LM Tube 800 from a nearby GC today.

Been a longtime Markbass user, started with a LM II, moved on to a Little Marcus right after.

Sold the little Marcus a few months ago to try something different, was thinking of maybe a Tone Hammer or GK or Genzler, for the right price, keeping a close on the classifieds, missed out on a couple.

Anyway looking thru the GC used pages this morning I saw a LM Tube for a great price at GC 30 minutes from me. They opened at 10:00am, I was there at 10:30 LOL. They hadn’t even put it on display yet.

Told the salesman what I was looking for, he went and got it, I looked it over, it’s in pretty good shape. I walked out a happy camper. :hyper:
    Now a pic..

372CD9C1-73FA-4753-9581-59286082F1F0.jpeg

7. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Looks good! How do you like it?

8. Jamarvic

Jamarvic Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    @SJan3, I love the tone the tube preamp brings to the table. Something I always liked about the Randy Jackson heads, just not the size. It’s got that famous LM solid state sound and then mix in the tube it’s a different animal. I approve!

SJan3 and Deep like this.
  9. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Great! I have a Littlemark3 and love it but occasionally wonder how it and the LM tube stack up.

Deep and Jamarvic like this.
  10. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Hey guys. I just sold my Rumble 500 combo and picked up a new Mini CMD 151p. It should be here tomorrow. I wanted to like the R500, but it sounded horrible with my D-standard tuned P bass. I've never owned one of these before. What should I expect? I know the 121p gets alot of love, but I haven't seen many people who own the 151p. I also have a musicians gear amp stand to pick it up off the ground. Can't wait to get it in.

Also, would the amp still sound good using the amp stand. It should pick the amp up about 1.5-2 ft or so. Thanks!

SJan3 and TrevorG like this.
  11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I had a CMD121P (and a NY121). Made a hasty decision to sell them in favor of other 1x12s I had, been second guessing myself ever since. I do still use a LM III with my other 1x12s. I also tried the MB Randy Jackson 1x15 and didn't like it. My conclusion, only you can decide if you like the 1x15.

Raising the amp off the floor decouples the amp from the surface which, if I recall correctly, will reduce the bass response. Again, whether that's a bad thing will depend on your ears and your situation.

If you're using it in a live performance and sending the DI to the front of house, might not make a difference/might sound better by reducing the risk of mud on stage.

I guess my recommendation is to try it on the floor, try it on the stand in various orientations (horizontal, tipped back, etc.) and see what works for you.

SJan3, Deep and bordinco90 like this.
  12. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    I'm a big fan of 1x15s. My other bass amp is a Bugera BXD15A and I love it because it can actually handle my drop tuned P Bass and not rattle or fart out. I actually traded a Rumble 100 and Rumble 500 combo for the 151p at Guitar Center. Both rattled like crazy and sounded horrible with my P Bass. I've owned a JB 15 combo before and didn't like it due to not having a tweeter. I'll have to try it out the different configs and see how each sounds. If I like the Bugera, I'm pretty sure that Markbass will sound even better.

Deep, SJan3 and BillyB_from_LZ like this.
  13. I have heard a few CMD 151P's in live situations and always sounded Great and Player used some form of slight lift and angle.

As for Amp stand: I use 'Ampwedge' for my CMD 121P/NY121 and it works as I want; not so much of floor and angles sound slightly up towards my ears; Bass is taunt, tight, clean and can hear a coherent response of my playing. [very few Gig situations with solid stage and I can get 6 feet plus from my amp]

I would recommend trying Musicians stand at lowest setting in height with very slight angle up.

bordinco90 and Deep like this.
  14. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Yeah the stand I have is the cheapest musicians gear stand (around $20). I do keep it on the lowest setting and it has no tilt adjustment. It's pre-tilted.

15. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    PXL_20210329_200352499.jpg

Well it arrived today! It sounds really good and is very loud. The tweeter does not hiss much and the cab is very light. Compared to the Bugera it sounds more vintage. Probably due to the paper vs aluminum speaker. Absolutely no rattle unlike the rumble combos I've had. I'm very very happy!

Attached Files:

Marko 1, SJan3, Fred312b and 3 others like this.
  16. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    Congratulations! Good luck with it. It's a great combo!
    I have an LMIII that I use with a NY151 cab which is almost the same setup, except separate units. Terrific sound and volume. Once the speaker breaks in it will have an even bigger and rounder tone. Good luck with it!:bassist:

SJan3 and bordinco90 like this.
  17. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Thanks! Yeah it really sounds great. It has a very nice tone. I've always loved the form factor on these MB combos. It's like a little cube of goodness!

18. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Looks great! Congrats

bordinco90 likes this.
  19. Works for me...

MB.jpg

SJan3, TrevorG and Deep like this.

20. That's my rig these days! The Heritage 8X10, the 6X10 and the Acoustic 2X15 (as well as the SVT4Pro and the 370 head) sit in the garage....I'm too damned old to be lugging those beasts around any longer..

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021