1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Markbass Club - the beat goes on, and on....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Apr 27, 2012.

1. pesk

pesk

Mar 7, 2016
    Czech Republic
    NAD
    IMG_0869.jpeg

2. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    pesk likes this.
  3. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    That is a beast of a combo!
    I feel as though Markbass listed "watts" are conservative. From my use of these amps they seem more powerful than the listed watts. There's weight to the sound and heft to the notes. :bassist:

pesk and SJan3 like this.
  4. pesk

pesk

Mar 7, 2016
    Czech Republic
    I am not sure about the power - still trying at home level (around 1 on master volume:laugh:).

I am also very surprised how nice it plays on this low volume level. In combination with my P-Bass it sounds gorgeous.

I plan to purchase another Traveler 102P cab to make a vertical stack. We will see when it will be really necessary - maybe 300W in internal 2x10 will be sufficient.

And it weights only 16,4 kg - so easy to carry around.:thumbsup:

SJan3 and Deep like this.
  5. A recent purchase of a 500 watt MoMark frame has prompted me to run an inventory check of my Markbass heads. Does anyone else own as many/more or do I need to be first in the queue for MB GAS therapy? These are sitting atop my two NY121P cabs but I've cropped the photo to keep it sensible!
    20210413_152312.jpg

StayLow, Type-55, scottm and 4 others like this.
  6. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    Um, I, uh... yeah. Yeah, you have my vote for first in line at MB addiction therapy.

Sparky Mark likes this.
  7. Jamarvic

Jamarvic Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I pulled the trigger on MB Marcus Miller 210 cabinet @musiciansfriend. $499 +shipping :spit:

Fred312b, SJan3, Liko and 2 others like this.
  8. MRSKI

MRSKI Supporting Member

May 26, 2006
    SEATTLE
    The only thing you are missing in that Markbass stack is a F1 or F500. In my opinion, the best amps they ever made. You should try to find one.

Groovegestapo likes this.
  9. LennyJ

LennyJ Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Acworth, Georgia
    Hey - I just go the Vintage Little mark 500. Anyone know what the limiter knob is supposed to do. I can't hear it.

thanks LJ

Deep likes this.
  10. I did own an F500 for a couple of years. Unfortunately it was the only Markbass head that would trip out when being driven hard into my Bergantino HT112EX and HT112ER stack. None of my class AB Markbass heads had any problem and did actually sound better to my ears. The tiny concentric parametric EQ controls were impossible to read and use on a gig so I sold it on for both technical and ergonomic reasons. In my opinion no amplifier really needs to be that small.
    I'd suggest that an SA450 really is the sweet spot in Markbass amplifier history.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    SJan3 likes this.
  11. If it’s doing what it’s designed to do you shouldn’t hear anything unless it’s far overdone.

Deep likes this.
  12. LennyJ

LennyJ Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Acworth, Georgia
    Ok understand - so what is it supposed to do like my first question?

13. If you go to the Markbass website it says:-
    > Limiter Control
    This control offers a modern reaction when you set it all the way up, or put it down to zero to create that old generation behavior with its typical distortion you get when the Limiter effect is really low, and of course you can also get everything in between.

14. LennyJ

LennyJ Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Acworth, Georgia
    SM - thanks and I read that also - So I guess you might say it is compression maybe. Or maybe like the older VPF and VLE knobs

15. A limiter circuit prevents a signal from exceeding the capability of the amp stage following it. Generally, up to the design threshold level a limiter does nothing. I don’t know (and haven’t looked into) what they mean by “modern” or “old generation” but I’ll hazard a guess that the modern eases into the limiting action while the old gen’ limits rather abruptly causing clipping distortion of the signal’s waveform.

In a sense, and oversimplified, a compressor proportions the loud-soft range of a signal while a limiter decapitates it.

Fred312b and LennyJ like this.
  16. LennyJ

LennyJ Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Acworth, Georgia
    If you are going this far then get the Spector bass
    Ok - If you are going to get the strap and in the below pics the cloths and all - YOU GOTTA GET THE BASS!!!!!!!

image.jpeg

Fred312b likes this.
  17. LennyJ

LennyJ Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Acworth, Georgia
    I saw a post the other day where someone took a Combo head out of the combo to use as a head only.

Then they talked about how they made a top for the amp - now I can not find that post.

Any help - has anyone seen that post.

thanks

18. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
  19. LennyJ

LennyJ Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Acworth, Georgia
    That kinda helps - but there was a post that actually went into detail on making a top.

Thank you tho.

20. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    Maybe you can check the history on your computer or smartphone and find the old searches.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021