Official Markbass Club - the beat goes on, and on....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Apr 27, 2012.

1. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    I believe the LMIII is on sale for $499 at GC.

SJan3 likes this.
  2. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I had a little Marcus 800 for a week. I didn't like the EQ points either. Really had to search for my tone.

3. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Yes, and LittleMark Tube 800 for $649.
    Nice prices!!

bordinco90 likes this.
  4. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    bordinco90 and SJan3 like this.
  5. Fathand

Fathand 21st Century Distortion Man Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2005
    Finland
    I just bought the Little Mark 250 Black line mainly as a home practice amp / preamp to my home recording setup (DI sound is nice :thumbsup:), and as a emergency backup to my old Amp setup (preamp + QSC poweramp).

Well, I ended up having to use the head into an 8 ohm 1x15" Trace cab in rehearsal, competing against two 100W Marshall stacks and I did not have to raise the master above 50% to hear myself well. Granted, the rehearsal space is quite small and even though we play Death metal our volume level is reasonable (has been for years) I was still a bit surprised how well this punches above its assumed "spec weight".

Kudos to Markbass, this is a nice little amp indeed :D

SJan3, Deep and CallMeAl like this.
  6. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Thanks for the review! I seriously considered that one when I recently replaced my combo head. I eventually decided to stick with 500w of headroom but still might pick up a 250 for backup

SJan3 likes this.
  7. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Word is the LITTLEMARK 250 Over performs.
    I have a NANO MARK 300 and it is LOUD!

bordinco90, Barry Vestal and CallMeAl like this.
  8. Barry Vestal

Barry Vestal

Nov 24, 2015
    Iowa
    Hello!! Was looking at the nano and wondering if you have any problems with the D.I out? I've read a few comments saying they had a few with bad D.I's that didn't work at all...Also noticed that you had a Genz mag 350...How does the nano compare to the Genz power wise? Thanks

9. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Hello! Honestly, I've not used the DI so can't answer you but I read the same post and some time has passed so I'd think that it's been ironed out, if it ever was a real problem. I actually think both of those individuals got the same amp! The 1st sent it back and it was shipped to the 2nd as I'll bet MF didn't bother to check the DI. It's just a hunch but they purchased very close to one another. And no complaints since.
    Re: Nano 300 vs Magellan 350, as you'd expect, they seem to be very close in output.
    The Genzler is more flexible tonally and the MarkBass is cleaner, IMHO. But it's not night and day. The Magellan may have a bit more heft to the notes. The NANO is the epitome of simplicity. Truly, I'm very happy with both and they sound excellent with my MarkBass cabinets. It's a coin toss as to which is "better". Both very well made also. No loser here. If you want clean and warm, the NANO is your baby. If you prefer something more middle of the road, as in not too vintage and not too surgical, then I'd lean you towards the Genzler. It is the more flexible amp with a switchable contour control that doubles as modern scoopy or 'ol school thump depending on which character you select. That said, I love MarkBass heads with a P bass as they really help the bass articulate. Have I confused you yet?

Barry Vestal likes this.
  10. Barry Vestal

Barry Vestal

Nov 24, 2015
    Iowa
    Thanks that's what I really needed to know!!! Much appreciated....

SJan3 likes this.
  11. wellso74

wellso74 Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Richmond, Virginia
    anyone seeing the Little Ninja 1000 for sale anywhere?

12. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    I've owned the black line as well. It is extremely loud and sounds great. Makes me wonder if it's just a LMIII just labeled different. Amazing amp!

bassdeal likes this.
  13. Damonjames

Damonjames

Sep 4, 2013
    Hey guys n gals, I’m looking at jumping brands and trying my first Mesa bass rig. I’m looking at the big block 750, carbine m9, 400, and strategy. I’m looking for a nice clean, warm Tubey sound for playing country/blues. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

14. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    York UK
    I've never found Mesa bass gear to be particularly warm, although I've only tried them in shops.

If you can find a Markbass TTE801, that has the exact sound you describe. Also, a Quilter Interbass before one of those is a beautiful thing.

Deep likes this.
  15. Ahort

Ahort Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2018
    SB, CA
    Hey folks!

I’ve been using a mesa walkabout combo 12 for a while now, but the weight is getting to me.

I’m looking for something lighter / more compact and the CMD 121p combo seems like a great option. I’m not interested in any other combos at the moment.

I would love to hear from those of you who have used a walkabout 12 before how the two compare. Volume wise the walkabout 12 is plenty for my needs. So if the CMD 121p puts out at least the same volume, I’m half way there.

I’m driving to a guitar center on Monday to try one out but I would appreciate everyone’s opinions.

Thank you guys!

CallMeAl likes this.
  16. I never owned a Walkabout 12 but a good friend used one with his Band; When I went to see his band play the Bass always sounded great, I got to sit in a few times and Amp worked for me.

Buy the time I was ready to buy small combo I was 'OLD'; Had heard a few bands Bassist using CMD 121P and was impressed by tone and capable volume in Rock/Blues Rock bands and it's Power, size and light weight

So I went and checked out a few others then tried Markbass and bought it. I have been very content with my purchase.

FYI; Markbass is coming out with IV version available by end of year 'supposedly' so hanker for a good deal on soon to be discontinued version or you may be able to pickup a mint used one for $550 +or- some.

SJan3, Ahort and BluesWalker like this.
  17. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    little_ag_1000_front_web.png__600x600_q85_subsampling-2.png
    Little AG 1000. “Finally I have MY sound!” - Andrew Gouche.

Little Marcus line. "I can immediately get my sound from my "Little Marcus" signature heads." - Marcus Miller

These share the exact same EQ points as the Little Marcus line with the exception of the Low at 100 Hz vs. the Little Marcus @ 180 Hz.

I guess they are going for the same sound?

At the very least, I like the looks of it. Satisfied F500 owner here, but excited to see how the brand continues to evolve.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    SJan3 likes this.
  18. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    The difference will likely be that the Little Marcus line, IME, is inherently dark until you start cranking the "Millerizer". As the AG doesn't have the "Millerizer" filter, I'd think it would be brighter out of the box.

Jamarvic likes this.
  19. JHRetro

JHRetro

Dec 1, 2020
    This week I picked up a used MB 801.

As expected, the size and weight is great. The volume without distortion is perfect for my needs (playing with two acoustic guitarists) or just practicing. And the depth of the tone is really impressive.

But, at low volumes (e.g the first or 2nd black dot on the volume curve painted next to the volume knob) the tone doesn't sound as "clear," "sharp," or like I'm hearing "the true sound of my bass" as I had expected given various comments about Markbass amps. It almost sounds like the tone knob is turned down on my bass (it's not).

(The VPF just seems to make things muddier, but I'm not concerned about that right now.)

At higher volumes, the amp gets more clarity and to sound I'm hearing the sounds of my bass.

Is this normal?

For context:
    -- I'm using a Fender Player Jazz or a Sire M5 with this amp.
    -- My ears are used to my old amp: a Fender Rumble 15. (Not that the Rumble 15 is on the same level, it's just what I'm used to.)

Thanks for sharing your insights!

20. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    Did you not like the Little Marcus EQ points (as mentioned in a previous post) or this inherent darkness or both?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021