Official Markbass Club - the beat goes on, and on....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Apr 27, 2012.

1. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I think I didn't fully understand the amp when I had it. But I find it easier to arrive at my sound with the traditional LittleMark 4 band EQ points, probably because I like the amp's tone relatively flat with minor tweaks to adjust for the environment. I think the Little Marcus could have gotten me there but with a lot more searching to find what I want to hear.

DLM and NEBADON2000 like this.
  2. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I haven’t tried a walkabout but I’ll say the CMD 121p is the clearest and loudest 12” combo I’ve played. I use mine with a blues band, loud drummer, and the master is usually at 10:00. Love mine!

3. Shouldn't be normal if from what I see the 2nd dot is at approx. 11 O'clock[from website]
    Some volume controls don't track well at bottom of turn [6;30-7;30 O'clock]

You can try turning volume control up and down 25-50 times fast or see if cleaning it with electronic spray is available.

If that doesn't help when listening at low levels turn down Bass volume and turn up level control see if that helps.

If not, level control may be fine and amp just needs to be pushed and is normal.

You have a couple nice Basses and should not be any problem.

Hopefully someone here has experience with 801 and can help out

PS; Reason I suspect Level [aka volume] control is that VPF is similar to loudness button on Home/Car Stereos
    to help when listening at low levels and you said it just made it muddier again shouldn't be the case but shouldn't as a word is ambiguous:)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  4. I am of the same thought and use with 'Traditional' tone controls. I would miss the 360hz and 8k as that is where I may vary off flat depending on room and find those 2 useful.

I also understand those whom enjoy finding various tones they hear in their head and have the patience to find them might prefer the AG's selection with 100hz and 1.4khz

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    SJan3 and DLM like this.
  5. I can second that; Rehearsed with a Loud Southern/Blues Rock band in fairly large space never went past 9 O'clock. Lead player was SRV Worshiper and Drummer seemed to take out his life's frustrations on his kit.

Only went to 10 O'clock after lead player and drummer had a few beer's:)

Ahort, SJan3 and CallMeAl like this.
  6. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    Appreciate the honesty. Thanks!

SJan3 likes this.
  7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    IMHO, the Walkabout and a CMD121P couldn't be more different. Both are wonderful, in their own way, but they're very different.

I had a CMD121P and a NY121, my mini-stack of doom. Gigged with it a few times and loved it every time I flipped on the power switch. I'm still not sure why I sold the two pieces, but, at the time was only playing at home and a pair of Hartke HX112s and a LH1000 (with the volume turned down) were liked more at wife-friendly home levels.

I also have a Walkabout which feeds an Accugroove Tri210L. Delicious tone, but not as bright and snappy as MarkBass gear (still have a LMIII running through the Hartke 1x12s).

The MarkBass does not distort and if you try to push it, it (to my ears) sounds horrible.

I've only gigged with my Walkabout once, many years ago, and don't recall what I was running it through. It sounded delicious and recorded well too.

I'd recommend that you try them side by side. Not necessarily at the store as GC allows returns. You gotta play both amps with your bass/basses and all the rest of our gear. Also, if you use pedals, please note that the default setting for the MarkBass amps is a parallel effects loop (you can reconfigure it with internal jumpers for series (like the Walkabout) but the factory setup is parallel).

Good luck!!!

8. syncword

syncword

Aug 16, 2021
    I'm a pretty happy owner of a CMD151P, an older version with the Combo Head II. It's remarkably light, at 34.2 lb. Took it out on a gig for the first time last night, and it easily did the job in a ~220-person room.

To feel a little more of the fundamentals on the low B string plus loudness for bigger venues, I found a good buy on a NY 151 Black and it definitely helps. The first time I picked it up, I was shocked at how much heavier it is than the above combo, coming in at 44.3 lb. Spec on web site says 45.0. Chalked it up at first to use of a heavier ceramic magnet speaker, and with the speaker removed it's still just over 35 lb. BTW that speaker in the Black sounds very different - much less midrange at least.

Their web site says the current CMD151P IV is up to 40.3 lb and the "regular" NY 151 with the lighter speaker weighs 37.3 lb.

Anyone have an idea why the NY 151 Black cab is relatively heavy? Is it really possible the speaker in the regular NY 151 cab only weighs just over two pounds? Seems unlikely. I speculate the Black cab may be made of a heavier/cheaper wood vs. something lighter yet strong in the higher-end NY 151 and CMD151P.

9. Ahort

Ahort Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2018
    SB, CA
    I picked up a CMD 121p from GC last night. I have yet to compare it with my walkabout but oh man! it sounds so sweet! Everything really balanced and the high frequencies are so smooth. I was really impressed of how ease it was to get my sound out of the combo. GC had several other combos in stock so I spent some time comparing the MB with the new Ampeg RB115, a Rumble 115 and a few others. Markbass was the clear winner for my taste. I play a Pbass with flats. I’m excited to spend more time with the combo this evening and do a side by side comparison with the walkabout. Thank you all for your input!

00A60AEE-C2E3-4264-B970-68B4A2E6F315.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021 at 3:34 PM
  10. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    A terrific combo. Good luck with it.:bassist:

SJan3 and Ahort like this.
  11. Ahort

Ahort Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2018
    SB, CA
    No kidding! I'm super impressed. AND it is super light and compact!

SJan3 and Deep like this.
  12. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I like Markbass. I can just get a good sound out of them with little effort.

I have an MB 115 combo backline provided on a monthly gig and I was surprised to see my EQ setting on the amp for 3 months in a row. There are 8 bands in there very week so everything at 12 o'clock and the filters off, seems to be a popular setting. There must be a lot of us using Precision basses!!

SJan3, Deep and CallMeAl like this.
  13. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I have a Rumble 100 as well, I leave that at rehearsal. It sounds good at low volume, but for gigs, especially when pushed; the CMD smokes the Rumble.

I’ve used mine with Jazz, P and PJ basses, flats and rounds, sounds great with all of them. (I’ve said this before) but I was sold on Markbass after getting to use both the 121 and 102 at a blues jam. Hearing player after player plug in, every one sounded fantastic- I had to get one!

Enjoy!:thumbsup:

SJan3, Deep and Ahort like this.
  14. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Congratulations!

Do yourself a favor and take your time deciding whether you're going to sell the Walkabout or not. Those two amps are quite different and personally, I enjoy having them both.

If you really want to rattle the room, try adding a MarkBass NY121 to the CMD121P!

15. Ahort

Ahort Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2018
    SB, CA
    Thank you! Absolutely!

16. Don't even think about trying a NY121P underneath your CMD121P unless you are prepared to buy it there and then. That combination performs like four times the sum of its parts.

17. BassGH

BassGH

Sep 13, 2015
    Seattle
    Truth!

And it’s a one trip load-in with a bass on my back. I don’t usually need the volume of this rig, but when I do it is thunderous and handy.

Sparky Mark, Deep and SJan3 like this.
  18. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Synergy!

Sparky Mark and Deep like this.
  19. Plus it lifts the amplifier's controls up to a much better height for on the fly adjustments.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021 at 3:20 AM
    Deep, SJan3, BassGH and 1 other person like this.
  20. Ahort

Ahort Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2018
    SB, CA
    Saving $ for this already.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021