"Official" Mayones Basses Thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by otnemeM, Jun 18, 2004.

1. otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    This thread is supposed to be dedicated to an European brand located at Poland of which there isn't a lot of information here on TB.com :)

Since I just got mine I figured that a thread like this would be cool so that everyone can share their Mayones bass and/or ask/answer questions about them.

Their official website is Here » Mayones

I'll share my personal "experience" next ;)
  2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Wow some of these are really nice! I like the comodus ones. How much do these go for? It's times like these I wish I could read Polish :smug: I reckon these are only available in Poland/EU? Lemme know how yours sounds. Which model did you get?
  3. otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    Here's my own Custom Mayones:

Body: Regular Be Africa Shape, Polish Ash
    Neck: Maple
    Body and Neck Finish: Natural - Satin
    Fingerboard: Ebony , Fretless with Amazaque Lines

Machine Heads: Gotoh, black.
    Bridge: WSC SI6-BK, black - 83mm pitch and 16.6mm string spacing
    Strapholders: Schaller security lock, black
    Knobs: Black

Pups and Electronics
    Pickups: Bartolini xxP46C (6 st, quad coil splittable - deeper)
    Electronics: Bartolini HR-4.6 (Volume , Mid+Push/Pull freq switch , Treble+Bass , Blend)

Here are some pics:

Body and Fingerboard

Neck, Fingerboard and Headstock

Whole Bass From Body Perspective

Body's Back

Neck and Headstock - Back

Whole Bass

Whole Bass Back From Body Perspective

Okay... what can I say about it?
    I haven't played that many of high-end basses but of what I've played, and some had a price tag way above this one, my custom baby smoke's 'em easily.
    Confortable, well balanced, well handcrafted, GREAT sound, beautiful... Well, just like I wanted it to be , and then some more :)
  4. otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    Humm... they ship everywhere, but as I had mine picked up on the spot, I beneficted from a better price.
    If you want a quote, just drop 'em a line and they'll answer you in about 24H :)

There's an english version there, no need to struggle with Polish :D
    (see the UK flag in the lower-right corner)

My bass's natural sound is quite close to Sean Malone's sound on Gordian Knot's first album. Try the song "Rivers Dancing" to get a taste of it.
    Yeah, it was meant to sound somehow like that and on top of that, it still sounds like myself (which IMO is rather good ;))

My Custom is based on their Be Africa series, but the similarities kindda stop there as you can see :p

Hope I helped :)
  5. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    umm, wow...those are really nice...
  6. heh, what the heck
    ray clone
    comodus and victorious series looks really nice though

7. fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    How much did you pay for your custom ?? Just interesting ... :D
  8. otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    Humm... Let's say that with travel expenses and all, it was less than 1300€ ;)
  9. otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    Yeah, a friend of mine bought , at the same time as me , a costumized Comodous 6 with piezos and stuff, and though I haven't had the chance to play it just yet, he's more than happy with it :cool:
  10. fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Hmm .. too expensive for me! Check this out
    AV Basses ...
    1000 euros is the limit for these custom basses :D
  11. otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    IIRC , I contacted the man after talking to a leftie that has a custom 6er and though the prices were similar to Mayones, the specs weren't exactly like I wanted.

Anyway, if you go for it let us know how it went :)
  12. Belka

Dec 10, 2003
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Hey otnemeM, congratulations on that bass. I'm going to order a six string patriot sometime next year and I had some questions about our bass. Why are there two battery compartments in there? Is it an 18 volt circuit with two separate compartments or are those bartolini quad coils active?

Also, does Mayones stock the full range of bartolinis or are those standard, as I was thinking about putting CXs on mine rather than Cs. I did email Mayones with the same question but they never got back to me.

13. otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    Hy Belka and thanx :)

The Patriot seems to be a beautiful bass, nice choice :smug:
    Well, yes, the circuit worx under 18v and yes the Bartolinis P46C are quadcoils :) 18V » 2 batteries :)
    They're currently , as far as I know, the Bartolini men on Poland so yes, they can get you whatever Barts you want. I chose these for me, a friend of mine chose those CXs for his Comodous 6 with piezos with custom wirings.
    As you can see, you ask, they do, you pay. Simple :D

They didn't answer your email? When did you send it? They were out to Musikmesse sometime so if it was during that time, there you have your answer. If not, just resend it again. I'm sure that Dawid will be happy to answer all your questions :)
  14. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    I had a mayones be4ntb fretless for a while, and had to part with it, because i NEED ed to buy a trace elliot head.

GREAT, GREAT fit&finish, some of the biggest model choice in their mass-produced line - everything from j copies thorugh fancy exotic wood stuff to simple, entry level basses.

really good price/quality ratio - their Be4/5 series (exotic woods, but there will be an ash/maple version soon) can be bought for around $500 new, and quality wise it`s is as good as a good warwick AT LEAST twice the price. and I`m not talkig about rockbass...
    good, dry, woods, nice, fast neck, great fretwork, decent hardware, good looks and lightweight. what more can one ask?

also, their customer service is really, really good.
  15. otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    Eheh, just don't forget that those $500 were the price back then and for national sales. Export prices are bit different :(

Anyway, I must agree on everything else ;)
  16. Meehaw

Jun 11, 2003
    Gdynia, Poland
    Another happy Mayones owner here. :D
    Humm... what can I add? What Memento and Fliptrique said. :smug:

My babe^
    Here's the begining of the journey of Memento's and his friend's basses across the European Union.^
    And here's me with one of my babes. The other babe is the girl who made the pic. :D
  17. otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    Chics dig Mayones :cool:
  18. Strange...I asked my dealer what the price of a Standard!! Be-5 would be, and it was 1425 euro!! :(
  19. otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    Well, I dunno who your dealer is but that's strange.

Well, I can just advice you to email Mayones directly ( mayones@mayones.com ) and ask themselves whatever! (In your case I would even tell Dawid - the nice man whose mum runs the company - about that case to see what he's got to say ;))

Feel free to ask more stuff though :)
  20. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Yo! Otnemem where have you been man? :) Its been awhile.
    Manda-me uma PM com novidades jovem. ;)