Official Mesa Boogie Subway Series Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rummonkey, Aug 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    With the cabs you have, I doubt there is any wrong answer. It’s interesting about 3x15/12 versus 2x15/12 thing though. I assume someone who know what they are talking about will come explain the maths and such.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  2. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Living for the groove Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    Well, inspired by @gustobassman, I took the 115 to band practice tonight, along with the WD, which of course always makes the trip. We practice at a studio in the drummer’s house, and he has an old Ampeg 215 that I usually use. That cab is a monster. It’s plenty loud and the WD can get punch out of it, but it is darker than I like. I really prefer the tone of the SW115. It’s plenty of cab for practice and probably for all the venues that we’re likely to play. So up until tonight, I’d usually use his cab and just take the 115 once in a while because, well, you know.

But tonight I hooked them both up and got my 3X15 on. Whoa daddy! That’s definitely the most powerful and impressive rig I’ve ever played. The Subway cab is more sensitive so it really led the way, but the Ampeg added thickness and heft that just a single cab can’t do. The definition and presence of the SW115 dominated, and the WD pushed those cabs so powerfully, it was inspiring. I played my Fodera and it was best tone that I’ve ever had. Full and rich and fat with just the right amount of breakup when I would dig in.

My guitarist plays a Headrush board through the matching 2000 W 112 FRFR cab so we decided to get loud and let ‘em eat for a song or 2. The WD never broke a sweat driving those cabs. It was stupid loud but I never pushed the master past 2:00 so there was still a ton of headroom.

The WD keeps impressing me with its range of talents. My band mates took turns playing my bass, they just wanted to feel the power. That was as much fun playing as I’ve had for a while!

MCF, timplog, One Way and 17 others like this.
  3. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Re: TT800... I've been experimenting with using the boogie channel for my clean tone and the subway channel for my distorted tone (using distortion pedals) - with very impressive results.

MCF, One Way, DJ Bebop and 9 others like this.
  4. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    This was my reaction to 3x115... welcome aboard! :D

200w.gif?cid=ecf05e47syxtwr4bqoj5n4mti6us3he53wu3e7urx6pbwfba&rid=200w.gif

5. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    Would be happy to view your settings!

6. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Living for the groove Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    Truthfully, after I posted that, I thought, well I'm still short a 112 if I'm gonna keep up!

MCF, DJ Bebop, agedhorse and 2 others like this.
  7. roccobass

roccobass Still funkin’ in the free world.

Jun 25, 2014
    California
    Ditto. My dos Amigos 12s are jonesing to be a trio. This is gonna take all my negotiation skills with my finance minister.

MCF, timplog, SemiDriven and 4 others like this.
  8. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Hi Andy!

If I wanted to use a D800 as slave for my TT800 to drive a second stack, couple of Q’s:

First, what cords would be required?

Second, is the slave stack going to produce the same thing as the master stack?

Thanks!

DJ Bebop likes this.
  9. IvanBassist

IvanBassist Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, G&L
    I think you just need a regular 1/4” instrument cable.
    Amp/preamp Send out of the TT going into the Return of the D-800.

roccobass, DJ Bebop and Porkchop2 like this.
  10. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Thanks. But, doesn’t the TT800 require a signal return to power up its own power section? Or is there a parallel path around the Effects Loop?

Normally, the Loop Send disconnects the preamp without a Return. At least I thought so. I’m suspecting one of the Preamp Outs would need to be used for Send to keep the feed to the TT800 Power section; which would require some kind of XLR to 1/4” cable.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  11. IvanBassist

IvanBassist Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, G&L
    Hmm, I don’t know, but i’ve used the Send of my WD-800 (without anything on the return) to plug it into my Neve DI and it’s worked fine.

DJ Bebop, Avalon5 and bucephylus like this.
  12. Any amp i've done this with, its the preamp return that splits the signal path.
    Think the pre-out is a parallel connection.
    That means when you plug into the D800 preamp return it isolates everything else except the power section.
    Dave

DJ Bebop and bucephylus like this.
  13. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    I'm probably, unfortunately gonna have to sell mine..
    I'm sure it would cuddle quite nicely amongst y'alls rigs.. :thumbsup: ;)

14. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    OK, I just tried this. It does work, and only requires the standard cable. So, as @dmccombe7 correctly pointed out, isolation occurs at the Return jack.

But, this solution only allows one of the channels to be sent; which is clearly sub-optimal. I think I still need to send from the Post Preamp XLR to get the channel switching; which will require the XLR to 1/4” patch cable.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  15. Afraid i dont have a TT800 so cant help with that. Does the manual not offer any help ?
    Dave

DJ Bebop likes this.
  16. Checked the manual and the DI outputs are probably best option.
    Something i couldn't see in the manual is whether the Tuner out can be used to send signal to your D800 power amp.
    Maybe Andy could advise better on that. @agedhorse.
    Dave

DJ Bebop likes this.
  17. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

DO IT! Tell the CFO I gave you permission! I would love to hear a review of 3 112s, or maybe 4!!!!!

MTN.bass72, DJ Bebop and PhinDog like this.
  18. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I've always used the acronym W.I.F.E. - Watchful and Inquisitive Financial Executive. :D

timplog, AB Nate, Jim Kernan and 5 others like this.
  19. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The individual channel sends will work if only using one channel (I do not know if the outputs are phase correct into the return of the other Subway amps as that's not how it was intended to be used.

The Post DI out will work, you will need an adapter wired tip to pin 2 and sleeve to pin 1, again I do not know it it's phase correct with the return but if not, simply use pin 3 of the DI rather than pin 2.

The way it was intended is to use another TT-800, and use the tuner out on the master amp into the front panel input on the slave amp (set to low gain position) and set the controls as you need them. Some folks are EQing the slave differently or using with different speakers.

20. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Thanks Andy! I think you are secretly scheming for domestic conflict.;) LOL.

BTW, the TT800 seems to be extremely well behaved with the 2 ohm setting, handling my 3.2 ohm cab load with authority.:thumbsup:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021