Official Mesa Boogie Subway Series Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rummonkey, Aug 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    A question regarding size with the 115. I'm contemplating replacing my GK MB112 and Fender Bassman 500/Rumble 115 with a Subway head and the 115+112, using the 112 for the more portable gigs and the 115 or both for larger gigs. But if I start by just getting the 115, how portable is it? The MB112 is super easy to get around, whereas the Rumble 115, while certainly not being very heavy or big, definitely is a little more of a chore to carry. Will the 115 get "the look" if I bring it in to a musical pit?

DJ Bebop likes this.
  2. The WD can get a little nasty and bad mannered if it doesn't get a nap in :)

Yes it can break up in a controlled respectful manner, IMOH. Maybe not as much as the TT, idk.

3. The 115 is extremely portable and an easy one handed lift. Its an incredible cab for its size. I reckon the 115 will be your goto cab for the smaller gigs too.
    Dave

4. marchone

marchone Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    Directly from the Mesa website.

Mesa Subway 1x15 Ultra-Lite Bass Cabinet | MESA/Boogie®

Weight And Dimensions

Weight 37.9 Lbs.
    Height 19 3/8"
    Width 19 1/4"
    Depth 18 1/4"

DJ Bebop likes this.
  5. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks, I should've said I already looked up the actual dimensions, but the specs weren't helping me visualize what it would actually look like in person.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  6. When mine arrived the first thing that struck me about it was the depth of the cab. Its probably the deepest (depth in size and nothing to do with tone) cab i've owned or used and i have always thought deeper cabs always sound better. My previous lightweight cabs have been a good bit shallower.
    Its really surprising the first time you lift it as its so light in comparison to other cabs i've owned. A one handed lift its well balanced using one handle and doesn't swing one sided against your leg like some cabs do.
    I've never seen the subway cabs in person as the ones i have seen had amps or other musical items sitting on top of them or they were against a wall and hard to judge physical size.
    Dave

7. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    15 is exactly 5 pounds lighter than the 12, I can't decide which one to get either for smaller gigs and rehearsals. I think it would be nice to add the 12 to my 2x15/2x10 stack if necessary (which probably won't be!).

Rebel Rocker and DJ Bebop like this.
  8. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Living for the groove Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    I have the WD and it can do clean at pretty high volume, or you can dial in some light to moderate distortion at almost any volume. Please see below for a recent adventure in exploring this aspect of the WD800 (although I was using a different cab at practice):

9. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    I have never played a WD, but from owning a TT and listening to demos of both the TT and the WD, as well as what is said on here, it seems to me that TT has the hairiest potential, with the WD right behind it.

DJ Bebop, DrThumpenstein and Al Kraft like this.
  10. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    How hairy or gritty can the 800+ get?

Laklandfan and DJ Bebop like this.
  11. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Owning both I would say that's a fair characterization...and as I understand it is consistent with the design intent (especially comparing the WD to the TT's Boogie channel).

Jim Kernan, DJ Bebop and lermgalieu like this.
  12. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Got the B-15 out of storage and connected it to the 2x15 tonight just for kicks. For only 35 watts this rig gets pretty loud! Definitely not as many highs or as quick as the D-800+ but some nice overdriven tones with the volume almost all the way up. I used to run this amp with my Ampeg 8x10 for a couple of years.

Ampeg Mesa.JPG

rotero, Jim Kernan, cemunk and 6 others like this.
  13. Today I received my new Subway 115 cabinet to complete my stack. I put the new cab on top and hooked everything up and flipped the TT800 switch to 4ohms (right??). Wow!! The sound was very articulate as I played thru my usual practice routine. After playing a while I began to wonder why the new cabinet sounded so much more articulate than the older one. So I experimented and switched the cabinets and older one on top sounds just as good. So my guess is that one cabinet by itself on the floor may be accentuating the bass frequencies (called coupling IIRC) and having another cabinet raised off the floor provides 'separation' from the ground and may allow for higher frequencies to float more freely about the room?? In any case, I am very pleased with the sound of the Mesa rig and can't wait to gig it someday.

Would the Subway 215 sound the same or different than the stack??
    Rigs02.jpg

14. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    First, yes the 4 Ohm position with two 8 Ohm cabs connected is the right setting.

The distance between the floor and your upper cab isn't enough to change the coupling effect at the frequencies here IMO. What you are hearing is more mids and highs from the upper cab now that it's raised closer to your ears. The lows are more omni-directional and will tend to dominate what you hear with the cab on the floor.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  15. Spooge

Spooge Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Missouri
    It has begun… TT800 and Spector. Yes please!

Attached Files:

16. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    Welcome aboard. Killer combo!

17. red_rhino

red_rhino Artful Dodger Gold Supporting Member

I think the time has come: I need a new rig. Already know that I like the Subway 2x10 cab (although I may add a 115 later), but I can't decide between the D800+ and the TT800. The TT800 came out after I A/B'd the D800+ and WD-800 (which is how I know I like the D800+). It's not so much about price as it is about what I think I'll like best. Other than the official TT800 demo that's out there, are there any other videos out there that give a good idea of what the TT800 is like? Those of you who have played and/or owned both the TT800 and D800+, what did you think of each?

DJ Bebop, IvanBassist and agedhorse like this.
  18. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    What are you looking for tone wise? Cuz they are both different flavors of great.

timplog, Al Kraft, smogg and 4 others like this.
  19. IvanBassist

IvanBassist Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, G&L
    Congratulations!!

DJ Bebop and Spooge like this.
  20. IvanBassist

IvanBassist Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, G&L
    @AB Nate can help there :)

MTN.bass72, DJ Bebop and red_rhino like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021