Official Mesa Boogie Subway Series Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rummonkey, Aug 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Jonathan C

Jonathan C Supporting Member

May 31, 2016
    Holbrook, NY
    Only if you're driving the speakers to their mechanical limit, the amp, you're not going to hurt it one bit by pushing it.

MTN.bass72 likes this.
  2. I see. Yes, that makes sense. I guess it's the cabs I am concerned about. Blowing a speaker or damaging them somehow. Would adding another cab help?

DJ Bebop likes this.
  3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    I'm confused here.

First of all, are you talking about the input O/L LED or the output LIMIT LED?

The input gain affects both the input O/L LED and the output LIMIT LED. The input LIMIT which shows that you are overdriving the input. The master volume does not affect the input O/L LED becayse it comes after the input gain control. There is nothing wrong with doing this if that's the tone you are going after.

The ACTIVE/PASSIVE switch simply re-scales the input gain control. Nothing more.

The output LIMIT LED is controlled by both all controls, but it it's flashing too much (on more than 25% of the time) then turning down the master a little will resolve this without messing with anything else.

I encourage you to re-read the manual and look again at the block diagram so that you understand how the LEDs relate to the controls and signal flow.

4. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    I you're continually pushing the rig to the limit, more cabs would help. And get some hearing protectors.

5. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Bay Area
    On the D800 I used to run the input at about 11 o’clock. I tended to adjust it to the point where I would only occasionally get the (input) light, but that was more about the tone I liked and not about any concern for the amp.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  6. Thanks

DJ Bebop likes this.
  7. Yessir. Thanks!

DJ Bebop likes this.
  8. Hey Andy... sorry for the confusion. I'm referring to the output/limit light indicator. I've posted about this "issue" before. It just seems

9. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Then you have my answer, it's ok for the LED to flash on about 15% of the time.

Note that the amp will be delivering more power than many speakers will be rated for, greater than 400 watts RMS. Just be sure you have adequate speaker for the task.

Jim Kernan and timplog like this.
  10. I'm running the D-800 through a SW 112 AND 115.

11. SemiDriven

SemiDriven Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Thanks for the reminder to re-read the manual!

For those interested, here's the link: Subway manual.

timplog likes this.
  12. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Electrical tape is your friend. :)

squish, Verb the Noun, Rich67 and 2 others like this.
  13. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    New D800+ arrived today. Yep, It's better than the old one insofaras the hum/buzz/whine is gone. So yeah, the old amp is fakakta.

More thanks to Mesa CS. I received a UPS tag in the email today too.

And, I took the old Plus to rehearsal last night. It has the ability to set right pretty much any cab it drives. In question was the Ampeg 410HLF I have complained about before. Using the Plus, I could actually hear articulated notes coming from it. And that's saying something.

I can't wait to see If Andy and Mesa have anything in the amp department coming out any time soon. But this D800+ is really tough to beat.

DJ Bebop, SemiDriven, AEVAREX and 2 others like this.
  14. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Is that the SVT-410HLF i.e. 4ohms?

15. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    Don't know. Could be.

EDIT: Yes, SVT-410HLF. Don't know the ohmage.

16. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Then you should be fine.

(nice rig too)

Al Kraft likes this.
  17. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Pretty sure it's 4 ohms so not quite up to handling the full power of the Subway head... it's weird that Ampeg do two different 410HLF cabs (the SVT and the PF) with different power handling and impedance, and different sounds. The PF-410HLF is brighter, 8ohms, and will handle 800w to the SVT's 500. I guess it's to match the different product lnes.

18. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Curious... the "known" issue they say is within the fan circuitry - did they give you any indication it's within a specific range of serial numbers that will/may have the problem or is it a hit or miss thing that happens to the Plus? Mine gets a ton of use and isn't "newer" so to speak. Makes me wonder if I should act sooner on getting a backup.

I keep hearing about this yet "unreleased product" that keeps slipping out. I wish we could get a hint so I would know whether or not to buy a backup now or wait for the U.M.O (unidentified Mesa object)... I'd be chapped if the D1200+ shows up just past the return period..

:roflmao:

19. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Related to the new safety standards, we have seen fans with new controller IC's (the part that causes the magnetic field from the DC power to "rotate", called the commutating IC) has been changing to comply with the new safety standard. Fans are a safety compliant related part in amplifiers and changes were necessary in most fans to comply. It appears that there may have been some issues in early fans that we have addressed (both in a simple circuit update as well as the later runs of fans being free from this defect). It only affects a small number of amps because the defect rate of the fan itself is still quite low (even with the issue).

20. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Thank you for explaining that! :thumbsup:

DJ Bebop, Al Kraft and agedhorse like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021