Official Mesa Boogie Subway Series Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rummonkey, Aug 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    I run my Diamond Jr on 9V standard.
    EDIT: Voltage doublers for pedalboards are easy to find.

Al Kraft and DJ Bebop like this.
  2. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Bay Area
    WTH, this is so lame. I coulda just bought the junior if I had any inkling that it wasn't powered normally. I have 18v, but apparently that's not enough. I just emailed Diamond; hoping there's some workaround. Otherwise this pedal is useless to me, because I am not using a separate power cord for it.

DJ Bebop and bdplaid like this.
  3. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Bay Area
    That's not the issue. I have 18v on my power supply.

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    That sucks, bummer.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  5. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    For me it's worth it. Just a different cord to me. But I get your frustration. I also think it's darned strange.

timplog, DJ Bebop and lermgalieu like this.
  6. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    I like putting a compressor in front, it keeps my hotter basses from breaking up earlier than I would like. Just a little peak limiting seems to make a big difference.

7. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    Well, my second favorite comp is the OvniFX Smoothie. Hard to come by. I'm an opto comp kinda guy. I always wondered what the Ampeg Opto Comp sounded like, but I'm not changing anything on my board, so it's useless to even try.

Scubadoo on TB has an incredible comp Thread.
    The OvniFX site is also incredible for all things bass comp.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  8. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    The impression I’ve gotten from you is that the Cali76 would be up your alley

heheh. Stirs pot

DJ Bebop and lermgalieu like this.
  9. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Bay Area
    Well given that I might be in the market again, I’m open to suggestions. The frustrating thing is that it seems I need to find this stupid power supply to verify the thing even works just to sell it.

bdplaid and DJ Bebop like this.
  10. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Ugh.. I almost made the same mistake before I bought mine. I was searching through the pedalboard photo threads to see how others had it set - I caught the plug thing reading some of those posts. If you have the option to swap or return, it's worth it IMO.

11. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Bay Area
    Yeah, well given that I basically don’t even think I need one with this amp, I might just put the Spectracomp back in play, find a decent TonePrint, and try it in a really low setting.

bdplaid, Rich67 and DJ Bebop like this.
  12. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Bay Area
    Aaannndd the response from the seller, LOL: "Did you use the red cable that i sent in the package? There’s a small bridge cable that needs to be used as an adapter. Also it works on 9V but it is happier at 18V"

I saw the cable, but just assumed he was throwing it in and put it in my bag/didn't use it. LOL. So I will try that later and see if it works. If it does, I will be happy.

bdplaid, BlueTalon, One Way and 5 others like this.
  13. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Aww yeah! Hope that works for you.

14. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Bay Area
    Yeah....if I didn't fry it last night :-(

DJ Bebop likes this.
  15. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

Or the Empress!

One Way and DJ Bebop like this.
  16. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    There is a super simple solution and it is a little patch cord that reverses the polarity. IIRC all the previous regular size Diamond came with one. They'll probably send you one for free, or you can order one on line from multiple sources.

EDIT: Didn't see your post above...that little cable is your friend and the one I was referring to.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 3:41 PM
    bdplaid, lermgalieu and DJ Bebop like this.
  17. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Read on brother Al

lermgalieu and DJ Bebop like this.
  18. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah, I got a phone call, stopped reading, and started typing! Those who don't read (or in this case didn't) have no advantage over those who can't! :rollno:

19. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Lol. True indeed

Al Kraft and DJ Bebop like this.
  20. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    Well my second D-800+ arrived yesterday. Just as I was finishing loading the car to head out for a gig. Got it out of the box and into it's bag and stowed it into the house for later. So in my excitement I used my current D-800+ for last nights gig. Any way gigging today so the new head gets a outing to make sure all is good. I would be shocked if it wasn't. So without further delay....

Tonight's gig.

"New" D-800+
    Subway 212
    Keeley Compressor Pro.
    Shure SLXD4 wireless
    Fender American Pro II V Jazz Bass

And another observation.

The Subway cabinet line.

There is no cab IMHO in the Subway line more versatile than the 212. I own 2. I also own two Subway 410s. Yes the 410s ROCK! Whether you are using one or two of them, they deliver.

That being said.

The Subway 212. Dayum. These bring bass to the party. Along with the smaller foot print and lighter weight these things are just an all around, does it all cab. Amazing lows. All the way down to the low B. Bright piercing highs that are easy to control. Especially with the compressor. And the mids are astonishing.

I get the love people have for the Subway 15's. Whether it's the 115 or the 215. I'm sure these cabs are amazing. And if I hadn't gone down the 212 road I probably would be pushing a pair of them. Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to try them. It's probably for the best. All I need is to fall in love with another speaker configuration. With two 212 and two 410 cabs already on hand adding two more. Basically Whoppers of a cab to the heard isn't what I need.

So what I hope people take away from this is "don't discount" the Subway 212. Easy to move. Tone that never disappoints. And truly a beauty to behold.

Ok! By the way. When you stack 212's....

Well hopefully some here will get that experience one day. Tomorrow night I will.

MCF, One Way, BlueTalon and 5 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021