1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Official Mesa Boogie Subway Series Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rummonkey, Aug 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. pigpen1

pigpen1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2017
    So you're saying that it has more "oomph" than your 751?

2. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Back in the club. Got another one!
    My D800 will be here this week. Considered a 800+, just don’t see me using the extra features.

I so want to hear a Subway 115.
    I currently have a pair of Aguilar SL112’s, and the D800 loves those cabs, but the 115 intrigues me.

/\/\3phist0 and mesaplayer83 like this.
  3. TuneMan

TuneMan

Nov 19, 2016
    Oakland, CA
    backline tech - Mesa Boogie, Aguilar.
    I have two each of the 112, 115, and 210. I use them in all different combinations, from a single 15, to a 4 cab set up. Today at rehearsal we had a pair of 210 Subway cabs. Nice and punchy, but plenty of low end. I don't like 15's in a small rehearsal room as much as 12's and 10's.

15-12-210. 15:210:15:210. Nick's rig 2017. Subway 4-cabs.

Attached Files:

Ewo, Marley's Ghost, DenisLM and 12 others like this.
  4. Anemic_SluG

Anemic_SluG

Dec 1, 2009
    Washington
    Can I just say that looks like it will crush. The thing I hate most about talkbass is when someone posts something that makes me go........ and then say $&*% and then I think maybe I should buy that. Then my brain (wife) in my head says you have a shop full of Bergantino cabs and they sound great. How much better are these. And I’m like not really better just different and then I think I can justify it by joining another band that may need “that” sound.
    And then I wake up knowing that I would actually have to pay the credit card bill. DAMN YOU TALKBASS DAMN YOU!!

/\/\3phist0, Deak and dmccombe7 like this.
  5. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    take a big breath and relax before you hurt yourself.
    I'm sure the Subway cabs are very nice, but I'm guessing the Berg cabs you have (and your "brain/wife" refers to) are also very nice cabs.
    And while a huge pile of cabs can have a certain appeal, most players working decent sized stages/venues do not need them as they are most likely getting nearly all of their venue sound from FOH.

breath ...... in, out, in, out ......
    your credit card and your brain/wife will thank you

mikeyjm2 and dmccombe7 like this.
  6. Deak

Deak Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Kansas
    @TuneMan I stand corrected. The image below is the one that has been burned into my brain the instant I saw it, and yes 4 cabs still call to me when I see these photos, then my reality kicks in when the mail arrives.

Still going to GearFest this year. drool All bets are off for those two days. I budget all year for it.

That's some playground you got there! :thumbsup:

nicks-rig-2017-jpeg.

dmccombe7 likes this.
  7. Speaking of cabs, I just picked up a Markbass 604 to use with my D800 for when the PH212 is just too big. So far at moderate living room volumes it sounds fantastic! Lots of punch and the tone is crystal clear. Boy do I wish for a pair of them right now. You wouldn't think 6" speakers could produce this much volume, but boy do they work.

8. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Mesa Engineering! Warwick-G&L-Source Audio Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Stanislaus
    Phil Jones agrees.

BassManKK and Al Kraft like this.
  9. I tried his C47 and C4 cabs using a GK MB Fusion 800 and 500. They were both very power hungry, especially with two C47's, and the Fusion 800 opened them up immensely. Nice sounding cabs, but I'm not complaining about the NY604. I'll likely be on the hunt for a second one. I've had an SWR 8x8 for many years and I have nothing but praise for smaller speakers, I just wish it wasn't around 100lbs.

Element Zero likes this.
  10. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I really like 604 and out of all the Markbass cabs I've heard, that one came the closest to getting me to open my wallet. It seemed to fill unique need for folks with bigger cabs who couldn't get what they were looking for out of the smaller single driver cabs. I thought it had a powerful voice for its size.

tombowlus and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  11. I've never really gravitated towards Markbass cabs, but I did have their F1 amplifier which unexpected died on me a couple years ago. I've only used SWR and Mesa cabs throughout my playing life with multiple different amps. Mesa just seems to win overall with me at this point. I played on the 604 years ago, likely right when it came out, and I remember GAS'ing big time for it. Price tag was way up there though and I couldn't justify what they were going for new. I do think the D800 pairs better with it than even Markbass' own heads!

Al Kraft likes this.
  12. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    The price is what put me off too and I agree that the D-800 seems to be a better match for what I recall of that cab. Markbass gear always sounded fine to me, but it never excited/inspired me as a player (or audience member) as much as Mesa and GK gear. I too owned SWR and Eden cabs back in the day and Mesa sort of hits that same sweet spot and then some for my needs.

Rivoli and Basspikr like this.
  13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 One of their best cabs, for sure.

14. The Markbass comment hits it right on the nail for me. I have the 12" combo and ext cab and altho i always get a reasonable or adequate tone it never feels anything more than that. On its plus tho its never let me down or failed to produce a workable tone. Think that's why i'm veering towards the MESA rig too.

fauxtoe and Al Kraft like this.
  15. DenisLM

DenisLM

Mar 12, 2009
    Maple Valley, WA
    nice set!

How do you feel the difference with the PH112 with the Subway112?

I have a D800+ that should get here next week and already questioning sell my PH112s (I have 3 of those, two neo and one ceramic), or maybe just add a SW112 to the mix...

16. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    And to add to the confusion, do you notice any difference between the Neo speakers and the ceramic?

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  17. TuneMan

TuneMan

Nov 19, 2016
    Oakland, CA
    backline tech - Mesa Boogie, Aguilar.
    When I first got my Subway cabs, I did a comparison with the PH112's. My initial impression was that the Subway cabs were clean and punchy, but a little lacking in warmth. The PH112's sounded warmer, but a little duller, with less crispness and articulation. At first, I still preferred the Powerhouse cabs. For a while, I was mixing them together, and the results were quite good, but I'm sticking to the SW cabs for now. Besides the weight, different basses (and strings, pickups, etc.) have generally sounded amazing through the Subway amp and cabs. I also have a PH212 and PH410 that sit in the closet, but I'm hanging on to them for now. I still haven't tried the Subway D800+ thru those two cabs..........As far as I know, all my PH drivers are ceramic.......

12:12:12. PH112,PH112,S112. PH112:SW112.

18. boamedt

boamedt Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    It sounds wonderful. I sold my d800 for the subway pre and use it with a crest prolite 3.0. Mesa tone, twice the power tho

19. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I am in the same boat with two PH212's and a PH410 sitting pretty much unused since my SW cabs arrived. However, I think the PH212 does have Neo drivers and the PH410 uses ceramic.

20. The speakers in the PH212 should be an Eminence Deltalite II 2512 Neo, but slightly modified for Mesa. I have the 4ohm PH212 and those are the closest replacement for that cab. Mesa still sells the 16ohm version and it is also made by Eminence. Speaker - 12" PowerHouse 300 Ceramic - 300 Watt - Choose Impedance

EDIT - I just noticed that my link says ceramic, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that the speakers in my PH212 were Neo. I have called Eminence and I talked with someone on the factory floor who confirmed the model via the information that was on the speaker basket.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018 at 12:34 AM
    Al Kraft likes this.