1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Official Mesa Boogie Subway Series Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rummonkey, Aug 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Note that in many cases where a product has a long life, there may be changes in parts. There have been both ceramic and Neo drivers used. Customer service can help you get the correct replacement parts based on what's currently available.

Deak, Al Kraft and Marley's Ghost like this.
  2. Hey - if y’all want to hear the D800 DI in a rock recording situation, check out my band’s new EP, available on all major streaming outlets now (itunes, Spotify, Pandora, etc). The Pale Rumors - Secrets in Neon.

gustobassman and Ewo like this.
  3. fauxtoe

fauxtoe Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Murrieta, California
    Totally understandable! Though, I do wonder if this solves the question about people who own the PH212 and have claimed that it feels lighter than what the listed weight is. Do you have any insight to that? Mine certainly doesn't feel like 78lbs, though I haven't had to pick it up in a while.

4. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    My 212's are from the 2010/2011 time-frame when GC was still carrying Mesa. Mine are surprisingly light (around 72 pounds I think)...if you can a call a PH cab light. I was led to believe they were the Neo driver versions and thus lighter weight.

I just looked at the drivers and as I had recalled they have small vent screens in the center of the dust cap. Once again going only on what I have been told, the presence of the screens is a good indication of Neo drivers. Since I've not used the ceramic speaker version of those cabs I have no way of verifying that on my own.

5. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Are you sure the screened vent isn't in back center of the magnet structure, or that the dust cap itself is a coarse weave impregnated screen assembly (common in the series 1 driver assemblies, but not in the series 2)

6. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Sorry for the poor description, I'm clearly not fluent in the speaker world lexicon.

I just checked both cabs and I would describe the speakers as having a standard looking dust cap where someone punched out a perfectly round 1 inch hole in the center of that dust cap and glued a screen/mesh behind it.

7. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    I am not familiar with that version (other than in general), but that's the challenge with a product that has a 10+ year legacy. It's hard to know everything about a product when it existed before your tenure, it's true in every industry as well.

Venting the dustcap (just like venting the motor) is done to reduce the influence of pressure build-up behind the dust cap that would introduce serious non-linearities as well as introduce the possibility of mechanical damage. There are also cooling aspects that are affected.

Al Kraft likes this.
  8. DenisLM

DenisLM

Mar 12, 2009
    Maple Valley, WA
    Yes, the ceramic other than waaaay heavier, it have more low end and is a tad "warmer". But I never spent much time comparing them because I usually keep my ceramic at home connected to my BB750 and use the two neo with a WA for live and rehearsal purposes (stay in the garage for easy loading).
    Sometimes for bigger live events or when I had rented big rooms for rehearsal I kept all 3 cabs together with the BB750 driving it and the WA as spare.

IMG_4799.JPG
    Interesting. Thanks for the insight.
    I'm still tempted to get at least a subway 115 to mix with my 112 land, but for now I think I should just enjoy my D800+ (that not even arrived yet) with what I have and go from there. Based on the comments the PH112 neo and the SW112 are very similar cabs.

9. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Me? You tawkin' abboud me? :D

It's one of those just-kinda-happened things, once I got onto the Subway line. Wasn't actually looking to do it, but with trades of other cabs I was done with, new purchases, and used purchases I wound up with three of the 15s, two of the 12s, and two of the 2-10s.

Apart from limited stage space the only thing that's kept me from trying four cabs is that it would freak out the BL, but on my loud rock band gig I'll routinely run a 15/12/15 stack. For lower-volume work with other acts, a single 15 or single 2-10 works well. Every combination I've tried is another flavor of good. It just depends on what you like and how it fits into the live mix.

Deak and Al Kraft like this.
  10. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I sincerely hope your profession doesn't involve counselling people on impulse control! :)

11. Deak

Deak Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Kansas
    LOL! Well, if there are any counselors specializing in impulse control, looking for work, this place is a gold mine!

12. Marcvg

Marcvg

Aug 4, 2006
    What is the solution for the rattle noise comming from the handles. I allready have noise from a vibrating casing on my d800+ so i have to put it on the gigbag on my speaker to eliminate the vibration and now that i bought a new subway 115 there is the handle rattle. It is not the quality i was hoping to get from this expensive mesa setup...

13. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    Marcvg contact customer service. They are very good about these things.

Ewo likes this.
  14. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Try rotating the rubber on the handle a bit and see if it goes away. If that doesn't take care of it, give customer service a call and they will help you get it sorted out.

15. grimmchaos

grimmchaos Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Albany, NY
    I guess I'm part of the club again... I've been using a Quilter BB800 for a while but wasn't completely satisfied with it. I owned a D800 in the past but wasn't quite where I wanted to be with that either. A friend of mine got a D800+ probably 6 months ago. He had a lull in gigs so he let me borrow it for a week. I was sold.. the extra flexibility the D800+ provides over the D800 was what I needed. My own personal one arrived today! The semi-parametric eq, bright switch, and built in HPF made it extremely versatile and should work well in all 3 of my bands - a 70s/80s rock cover band, a Sabbath tribute, and an original modern metal band. I've always been a huge fan of Mesa so it is great to be back home again.

Lex P., dmccombe7, Snowglo and 4 others like this.
  16. Rivoli

Rivoli

Jan 13, 2016
    I too am a convert from the Quilter BB800 to a MESA 800+. Despite owning the Quilter for over a year I could never quite dial in the tones I wanted. I'm very pleased with the tones and EQ flexibility on the MESA.

grimmchaos likes this.
  17. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I've been using an iso pad between the cab and the amp. Didn't notice any rattles from the amp case, but thought it would be a good way to keep the amp from skating around on top of the cab. I bought the model with sorbothane inserts; it's pretty amazing how well it keeps cab vibrations from getting to the amp. Here's their page: TecPadz LLC

OK, disclosures: there are none. The company is owned by a TB-er (great guy!), but I have no financial interest in it. I'm just a happy customer recommending a product I found to be worth the bucks I spent.

18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    TecPadz are awesome! :thumbsup:

bucephylus and Deak like this.
  19. Killens84

Killens84 Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Mississippi
    I sold my Subway 112, and finally have another Subway 115 on the way. I got it new from Pitbull Audio, based in San Diego. I highly recommend them. I checked with several retailers, and they were the only ones willing to give me a discount on a new Subway 115. I got 10% off, with free shipping.

So I’ll finally have the 2 x Subway 115 setup that I’ve been wanting to get back to, after foolishly selling one of my 115’s a few months back. I still have my Subway 210 that I’m trying to sell as well. I could get wild, and have a 115/115/210 setup, but that would be far beyond what I’d need.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Marley's Ghost and MikeBass like this.
  20. grimmchaos

grimmchaos Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Albany, NY
    Getting the highs dialed in correctly was the hardest thing for me. It's a really good sounding amp, I could just never get it quite right.

Rivoli likes this.