1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Official Mesa Boogie Subway Series Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rummonkey, Aug 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Anyone ever side by side comparison of the 112 with an Aguilar SL112?

Or even the 115?

2. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Not side by side, but the SL112 I tried didn't come close to my SW112 in terms of power handling with grace and ability to provide powerful low end, especially with some volume. And I wanted to buy an SL112 when I went to try it out.

To be fair though, I think the SW is a more "heavy duty in the Mesa tradition" lighter weight cab and the SL was more of a super lightweight option with some additional trade offs required. Two of the SL112's together actually sounded pretty good, but IMO they couldn't keep up with two SW112's. They just don't punch as hard, sound as deep, or feel like they can take hard rock and roll with serious volume like the Mesas.

FWIW I am an Aguilar fan, but I don't think this cab comparison is even a fair contest. Of course, YMMV!

3. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Intersting. This is the first time I’ve heard of any retailer offering a discount on Mesa.

4. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    I shop there all the time. Im local! Bought both my SW 115's and most of my pedalboard from them. They also give you a $25 bonus when you spend $500. Boom

5. Let me know how you get on with it after gigging as your style and "era" in music sounds similar to mine.
    Dave

grimmchaos likes this.
  6. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    GOT IT! NAD :thumbsup:

Thanks to a fellow TBer, I am the proud owner of a lightly used (pristine condition) new (to me) Subway D800+.
    It missed my rehearsal this afternoon, and I have to run to a gig tonight where I will use my trusty Walkabout, but I did have a bit of a chance to run it with some of my current favorite cabs (CN112, CN212 and "CN312"). Great sounding amp that sounds like it will fit right in to my various gigs. Aside from its many great sound shaping features is its 2ohm stability, so it will definitely get the gig when I use the Berg CN312 stack.

Very happy with this amp. Looking forward to running it through its paces on various gigs.
    Mesa D800+ Jun2018 sm.

Birds of feather .. had to set it on top of its stablemate/relative, my well loved and well used Walkabout.
    Mesa D800+ w Walkabout Jun2018 sm.

7. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Nice Roscoe Beck!!!

dave64o and Pbassmanca like this.
  8. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Tonight's Rig. Just wireless and the Subway.
    No effects no FOH.
    Warwick Dolphin and G&L L2500
    IMG_20180616_192819627. IMG_20180616_192732930.

dave64o, Pbassmanca, Indiedog and 4 others like this.
  9. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    thanks. I really love that RB IV. Such a versatile instrument.

ahc likes this.
  10. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Gorgeous Warwick!

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  11. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

Awesome rig man, and love the Dolphin bass! The only thing that worries me is the collapsible stool that everything is sitting on ; emphasis on the "collapsible"......;)

12. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    I didn’t notice that and at first when you pointed it out I too was concerned but then again, that was the same step stool that my mom would use getting into and out of my truck. So I guess if it is good enough for mom...
    :)

Pbassmanca likes this.
  13. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    View attachment 3052495 I got to use both my Subway 115s and D800 yesterday at an outdoor gig on a big stage - it was an opener for Rodney Atkins... I also got to use my new Broughton Low + High Pass Filter - it worked awesome with that rig...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  14. /\/\3phist0

Works fine at least 50 gigs with it.

wonderbass1966 and Pbassmanca like this.
  15. /\/\3phist0

Thanks!
    That's my forever bass. Sounds full spectrum, comfortable on a strap.
    10lbs on the nose, beautiful mid-range character. Growls like a pissed off grizzly, yet clear and high definition.
    Really expressive, harmonics jump out.
    She was just given a scrubdown and mineral oil rubdown, beeswax seal (body and headstock only) frets polished annual battery change. Simply a joy.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  16. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Had a chance to sit down with my "new" D800+ today.
    Running it through a Berg CN112, CN212 and combined "CN312"
    overall reaction is that I'm happy with the purchase. The Subway is a very nicely built and laid out piece of gear, and can definitely see how the Subway will fit well into my gigging rig options.

Tons of meaningful/useful tone shaping options.
    Easy to find good settings even with all the knobs avail to twist. I just need to settle into a few good options as I don't like to keep messing with amp knobs.
    Sounds great thru all the Bergs so far (but in fairness, most amps do).
    I got the D800+ in part because of its 20hm rating, so it will definitely get the gig when the "CN312" goes out.
    I'll have to haul out the NV610 and try that. I have found that cab to be sort of picky about the amp/coloration .. possibly because of of its size and the fact its sealed with no tweet.

On the downside, I can definitely hear much more of Carbine/M influence in the Subway preamp way more than any Walkabout influence. That's too bad because the WA remains my favorite amp by far, aside from its somewhat limited available clean power which is a well known stumbling block for that wonderful amp. More time with the Voicing knob, EQ points and perhaps the Deep/High boost switches may get me closer to WA flavor ... we'll see.
    I may try to run the WA pre into the D800+ power section via the fx send/return loop, just to see what happens. I don't hold out a lot of hope on this set-up, but I have tried it with every other amp I've owned in the past 15 years, so I might as well give the D800+ a try in this config. Even if it works ok, it's probably not something I will do for gigs. Just more stuff to haul.

I was wondering if acquiring the D800+ would push me to put the Demeter VTBP-M-800DJ up for sale.
    After a few hours with the Subway, I don't think the Demeter is going anywhere just yet.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  17. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    IMO, the Streamliner 900 gets closer to the "Walkabout with more power" than the Subway does - I got my Subway to do something different than my Streamliner, and it does that... Also IMO - the Subway kind of falls between the Walkabout and the Carbines, tonewise - which I appreciate, because the Carbines were always too much like G-K amps(sound-wise) for my tastes...

Element Zero likes this.
  18. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    yep, while I am a big fan of Mesa bass amps in general, having used/gigged a D180, Buster, 2:90 (as a power amp), MPulse600 and of course the Walkabout, I was not a big fan of the Carbine/M series amps .. I'm sure its a great amp, just not my cuppa. Whereas with the Walkabout, I just can't say enough good stuff about it.

I do need to spend some more time with the D800+, and most critically, I need to get it into some gigs to really get the full impression on how it works "in the wild"
    and what tone settings I will work out.

19. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    So I’ve found the magic of this amp is all about the HPF, VOICING knobs and Deep/Bright switches. Gonna sound weird but it’s been quite the experiment for me.

Try just flat EQ. Deep/Bright off. Turn up the Voicing until it “sounds good” to your ears. Next turn up the HPF to the same level as the Voicing. Then, flip on the Deep switch. Only time I use the eq is for specific rooms that may need it.

Rivoli, /\/\3phist0 and pfschim like this.
  20. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    I've owned and gigged the Big Block 750, M-pulse 600, Bass 400, and now the D800, in addition to the Streamliner 600 and 900, Shuttlemax 12.0, GBE600, NeoPak 3.5, and a couple each of the 700rb-II and 1001rb-II, among many others... I actually wanted to like the Carbines when they came out, but they weren't different enough from the 700rb-II I had at the time to pony up for one... I had a Walkabout briefly, but it didn't have enough power for me *at the time* - although one would be plenty these days... I loved the sound of the Walkabout, but ended up with an M-pulse 600 as a workable compromise - when the Streamliners came out, I grabbed a 600, swapped a 5751 into the V1 slot - and loved it... Later, I bought a new Streamliner 900, did the 5751 thing again, and it was my main gigging amp for quite a few years - and is definitely a keeper to this day...

agedhorse likes this.