1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Mesa Boogie Subway Series Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rummonkey, Aug 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. keto

keto

Mar 3, 2016
    Edmonton
    @agedhorse , please tell me my next move. So, with my new 215, 2 weekends in a row I had what I thought were Speakon cable failures during shows, both 3rd set. Driving home today, as it was a 3 hrs away overnighter, I got a little suspicious about the coincidence. The first one was in sketchy conditions in the rain, and was my oldest cable, so I just pitched it...but I still had occasional very short dropouts, which I had been blaming on my wireless. Last night, I was still getting dropouts, and finally failure. Went thru all the plug bass straight in, changed amp heads, but I was getting signal at my floor tuner.......

I just now used the same cable, zero signal plugged into ‘4 ohms in’, but loud and proud from the extension port, could immediately hear when the cable hit home even with the amp muted. I got it at L&M, I know you and they will treat me right, but they’re not going to have anything close for a loaner. I’m guessing just run it over there, or are there other diagnostics I should perform?

To finish the story, last night I was using my Stingray Special and D-800, a very magical combination for me. On an outdoor stage built off the side of an old wooden building but otherwise open on all sides, I finally figured out that adding the deep switch was the secret sauce. And, when I lost my cab, I just took my mic cable to the DI out in our fairly modest PA, and it saved the last set. Thumbs up all around.

2. agedhorse

agedhorse SUSPENDED Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    It's possible that the input connector on the speaker got damaged somehow... it's a Combicon type, are you using the 1/4" input or the SpeakOn input? The two jacks are wired in parallel ("input is used by convention, both jacks are the same), so for troubleshooting if you have no problems using the "output" jack as the input, to me that's pretty conclusive.

This might be a good time to contact the dealer and see how they would like to handle this. If that doesn't get you an answer, give Garey a call in customer service and he will find a solution for you.

Low84, One Way and keto like this.
  3. keto

keto

Mar 3, 2016
    Edmonton
    Speakon to Speakon in both cases (I threw the first one out). I’ll call L&M Tues, thank you.

4. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Every once in a while we see a defective connector. It's also quite possible that something got lodged inside (like a piece of Styrofoam) preventing a reliable contact, which is probably as common as a defective connector)

Iv@N, Geri O and keto like this.
  5. Iv@N

Iv@N

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, G&L
    Recorded the intro of this vid with a bit of bass & treble boost using my WD-800. Those Nordstrand big singles are very growly!

lowfreqman, flewis, detracti and 4 others like this.
  6. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I just felt like posting this. What a great rig!! I appreciate the D800+ and the WD800 but I prefer simplicity. Thanks, Mesa! :hyper:

Mesa Subway rig.

7. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    Long live the D800!!!!!

8. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    Yup..
    20190306_073752.

9. I’d post my yup but my D800 is at practice space...

petch and MTN.bass72 like this.
  10. scottm

scottm Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    E467A5F2-B7A3-4112-898C-93F104EF8AB0.
    I ran my Gibson’s, Fender P basses, and Musicman SRS’s through my new Mesa stuff all weekend. I really dig the way this cab sounds!
    It was really highlighted with my custom basses from Cliff Bordwell. I cannot believe the punch and bass response of this cabinet! It has really nice highs, yet has more depth than my other brand 12’s I own. My low B strings sound really good through it.
    The cab can really pump!

-ScottM

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    CElton, P_Robyn, petch and 3 others like this.
  11. scottm

scottm Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    I forgot to ask, I’ve seen what appears to be a single Mesa 12 cab hooked up to the WD800 and the 2x12 cab.
    Is there a 4ohm single 12 cab available from Mesa? If not, not sure how they can run a 4ohm and a 8ohm cab like that.

-ScottM

12. Wild_Bill_57

Wild_Bill_57 Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    All of the Subway 112’s are 8ohm

You can combine a 4 ohm and a 8 ohm cabinet together in parallel, it will make a 2.67 ohm load and all of the Mesa 800 series class D amps will handle that fine.

scottm likes this.
  13. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    You might down load the manual and have a look at how the amp works.

There is not a 4 ohm 112 available and for a very good reason. All of our amps (and many others too) deliver way too much power at 4 ohms for a single 12" cabinet to be practical and reliable. 800 watts RMS is simply too much power available for long term reliability. The amp is rated at 400 watts RMS at 8 ohms which is a perfect match for the 8 ohm cabinet (which is also rated at 400 watts RMS)

14. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    There you go, making sense again... :)

MTN.bass72 and agedhorse like this.
  15. scottm

scottm Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Thanks! That is what I was wondering.

-ScottM

agedhorse likes this.
  16. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Last weekend - live band karaoke

[​IMG]

this weekend - farmers market. The amp remains the same...

[​IMG]

17. DaveB in VA

DaveB in VA Gold Supporting Member

May 27, 2015
    Charlottesville VA
    I have the same setup: D-800 and Greenboy F112.

MTN.bass72 and agedhorse like this.
  18. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    Looking forward, and having spotted a Carbine recently, I'm wondering if Mesa might consider making a Subway amp with a graphic EQ? I use mine with the tone setting flat, and eq with an outboard GEQ anyway, so it makes sense for me.

19. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

D800+ is everything I need.

upload_2019-9-4_20-1-26.

Xansky, Ellery, GuitarJay and 3 others like this.
  20. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    I bought one, it works, so far at least for a single micro pedal. Very handy!

BasturdBlaster and agedhorse like this.