1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Mesa Boogie Subway Series Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rummonkey, Aug 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    I was told Mesa doesn't allow discounts, so good luck.

2. shadven

shadven Twang-tastic Bass Player and Song Writer Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I rock, therefore I am.
    I was a little slow falling in love with my WD-800 and SW215. But, on the last night’s gig I provided the bass rig for the two openers before my band went... the amp sounded incredible. The the sound man couldn’t stop gushing over it. I find the HPF really useful. The amp is plenty loud too.

DrThumpenstein, One Way, Iv@N and 2 others like this.
  3. red_rhino

red_rhino Gold Supporting Member

The same guy owns both Haight Ashbury and Gelb Music in Redwood City. I read he plans to keep Gelb open, and I know they are a Mesa Dealer. I would guess that any inventory that doesn't sell at Haight will be transferred to Gelb unless the store is sold to a different owner.

NateF likes this.
  4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Ewo, zenrad, staccatogrowl and 4 others like this.
  5. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Love your quote Andy!
    Solid review.
    His view of the EQ is compelling.
    His summary statement says worlds.

Iv@N, agedhorse and Al Kraft like this.
  6. Iv@N

Iv@N

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Great review! Turning people to Mesa players one note at a time :D

agedhorse and Al Kraft like this.
  7. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    You being from Germany are a confirmed "early adopter"!

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  8. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    Question for @agedhorse - I just bought the Mesa removable casters for the SW212 cab and I'm wondering what the best location is for the mounting plates. I want to keep the rubber feet , same as the PW212 I had. My concern is that the mounting screws are 1 1/2" long (the small holes in the plate) and I want to make sure I won't be hitting anything inside the cab on the driver side. Does this look like a good location?

20190908_111844.

scottm likes this.
  9. Iv@N

Iv@N

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Fun fact: Today marks 6 years since I moved from Peru to Germany :D

10. BassPilot

BassPilot Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Novato, CA
    I had a Bergantino AE410 and placed the Mesa removable casters in the position you show them. This position is a little unstable fore/aft balance point. I would put them closer to the front and back of the cab. Ideally they should go where the feet are.

11. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    You will really need to move the casters to the left and the right so that the one hole lines up with the rubber foot hole and remove the rubber feet. Otherwise the cabinet will be too unstable.

zenrad and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  12. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Picking up on @bdplaid 's thought (post 17627, above) to use the WD-800's USB port to power a pedal or two...

Works just fine. Current draw of this thing (from product specs) is below 100 mA. I'll need to find a straight/right angle cord to run to the amp's input, since the right angle plug blocks access to the mute switch.

I had the HPF/LPF box sitting around, but I'm just using the LPF section. Sometimes if I roll up a little treble boost on the bass (say, for a slap tone) the top end gets a bit harsh--what you'd expect from a shelving curve, yeah? Lowering the LPF frequency takes care of that, while the upper mids stay bright.

IMG_0467.JPG

scottm, bdplaid, Rodger Bryan and 4 others like this.
  13. Valveman

Valveman Gold Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Maple Grove, MN
    The USB port worked just great at last Thursdays' gig. One cord to the wall!

2019-09-05 Driftwood 04 small.

scottm, bdplaid, FirewalZ and 6 others like this.
  14. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    Great, thanks!

agedhorse likes this.
  15. Iv@N

Iv@N

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    I'm thinking about maybe saving up for a Noble DI to pair up with my WD. A couple of friends have the Noble and they are all crazy about the sound for recording and in-ears.
    One of them is coming over in the following weeks and we'll do some comparison clips.

In the meantime, who here has some Mesa + Noble experience?

pfschim and scottm like this.
  16. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I've run the Noble into a D-800+.

Yeah, that pre just sounds great running direct into the board for recording. A number of times I've convinced the engineer to forgo the (routine) amp plugin and just listen to the sound of the Noble's tube richness. Yep, they heard it and liked it as much as I do.

When I first got the pre, I put it in front of the D-800+. It added a nice tubey flavor to an amp I already liked very much.

When I migrated to the WD-800, it already had that flavor, so I didn't bother using the Noble on live shows.

But the Noble always goes with me on a studio call.

scottm likes this.
  17. Iv@N

Iv@N

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Interesting comment about the live shows!

I've mentioned this in previous posts but every engineer has told me they barely needed to tweak my signal since I started sending them a Post-EQ (flat) signal from the WD, which makes me wonder if the 1k+ investment is really worth it. On the other hand, every Noble owner I personally know says it's the best investment they've made :laugh:

Rivoli likes this.
  18. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Off topic ...
    huh, too bad. Haight Ashbury bought Gelb Music in Redwood City a few years ago. I wonder if they'll be closing Gelb too ?
    FWIW, Gelb was my favorite bass shop in the Bay Area until they were bought by HA Music SF. They used to have a wonderful collection of top flight bass gear and a truly excellent bass guy, Ed Cagnacci, but Ed left before HA Music bought them, and then Gelb just kind of went ho-hum mid-market and I loss interest.

Too bad too, I bought a decent amount of gear there. My original and still beloved Walkabout, my current go to cab (for over 10 years) Berg CN212, and my Lull M4V.

Oh well, things change :(

back to the original thread topic

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  19. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Yes! I run a Noble DI (plus Cali76CB) into the front end of my WD800 into a Berg CN212.
    I've gigged this combination for about 4 months (so about 30+ shows and tons of rehearsals). I really love this combination and would recommend it to anyone who is considering it. Great additional (and simple) EQ stack into the front end of the WD800. I currently keep the Noble DI HPF off, and use the WD800 HPF. Light touch on the Noble DI EQ and volume (along with the great effect of the Cali76CB in a parallel comp config) and the whole thing sounds great. FOH guys have been very complimentary of the Noble DI effect on house sound too.

I don't do IEM, but I have read plenty that suggests that the Noble really brings goodness there too.

I say go for it! They are a bit pricey, or hard to find used, but whatever you spend on one, if it does not work out, you'll have no problem selling it on the used market for pretty much what you pay for it.
    Win Win :thumbsup:

MTN.bass72 and Iv@N like this.
  20. Iv@N

Iv@N

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Fair points there.
    Do you send the DI signal from the Noble or WD?