1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Mesa Boogie Subway Series Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rummonkey, Aug 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. sstillwell

sstillwell

Nov 20, 2008
    Nah, it's not just you. They want to A ) volunteer to pay for it and B ) haul it around, and C ) give me final say on what they choose and then MAYBE we'll talk. I'm already hauling PA and lights along with my rig...extra space is just NOT on and I'll guarantee my D-800+ and 2 x Subway 112 will be more than enough rig for the gig in any place I'm likely to be playing.

2. sstillwell

sstillwell

Nov 20, 2008
    The 112 is a great cabinet! A single cab is LOUD, as you've discovered, but 2 cabs is more than just the sum of the individual boxes. I haul around one cab for rehearsals and small gigs, but if it's more than a tiny room or if it's outside? yeah, the second one is a definite "go".

Jason Hollar and dab12ax7ef like this.
  3. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    The Mesa factory covers are sufficient for my needs now, but in the past I had padded covers custom made (for cabs from a different builder) by LeCover and Studio Slips. IIRC both have instructions how to measure your cab, and an online form to fill in. That worked fine for me; both the covers fit nicely.

Yeah, I was a little antsy about whether I had done it correctly, too...but when I received the covers they were just right. The advice I can offer is to take the time with the instructions to make sure it makes sense, what they're asking. And double-check your measurements before you submit the form.

FirewalZ likes this.
  4. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

I just picked up what seems to be a Subway 2x12 Vertical prototype cab. It's like a Powerhouse/Subway hybrid. The previous owner said he had one and Ben Kenney has two. It is 8 ohms and there is no serial number because they never went into production. There was no grill built at the time so there are no screw holes in the front. It is the same dimensions as a Subway 2x12 so I may try to purchase a new Subway grill. It weighs 76 lbs, much heavier than a Subway 2x12. It sounds amazing! Here are some pics:
    DSC07267rtcrsm. DSC07275rtcrsm. DSC07276rtcrsm. DSC07281rtcrsm.

5. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Yep, this one is for Tuki, they are made right here in MI and have a form as you describe showing you what to measure, etc. Ill just make sure to measure twice;) I do dig the slip cover but it doesn't offer much protection and im hauling my 212 around to clubs and such, in/out of cars, doorways, etc...there's bound to be a bumps and bangs along the way.

Ewo likes this.
  6. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    The conversation was very amiable, I think more of just an idea than anything else.

The thing that riles me is when people talk to you as if you're an idiot. To wit (loading both barrels and preparing to unload):

The lead singer (who is terrible at directing people and dissemination of vocal parts) got put "in charge" of the vocals. He seems to have no idea what's going on concerning three part harmony, which is odd because he's also a very good player. But after my objections trying to right the ship, he started talking to me as if I was an idiot. Which then led to a blow-up between us (because I take poopie from no one). He still talks to me oddly but it's calmed to a point where it's ok. Besides, I decided to not pay attention to him anymore as our keyboardist has more or less taken over the role of vocal jefe. Any waaaaaay....

I'll take in my second 115 and am certain all will be well. I'm just trying to figure out a way to justify getting the 215... Mesa, you up for an endorsement deal? We have a CD! :)

7. Does anyone have a CD player anymore? I have a record player but no CD players, lol.

bdplaid likes this.
  8. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    Isn't that the truth.

9. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Isn't a CD a financial instrument?

P_Robyn and bdplaid like this.
  10. agedhorse

agedhorse SUSPENDED Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    This is an entirely different cabinet than the Subway, different drivers (those are the Powerhouse 12" drivers), different crossover and it's likely that the depth is different too. Of course the weight will be quite different. I think what you have is a variant of the Powerhouse (which is what the Subway series was loosely based on)

kranahan likes this.
  11. Wild_Bill_57

Wild_Bill_57 Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    What you need is a 215 and 2-210s that will make a statement to your band mates.

12. kranahan

Thank you for the clarification. The exterior dimensions are exactly the same as a Subway 2x12.

13. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    Well, WAY back in the day at one time I had a rig that was 1-18, 2-15s, and 4-12s. I have no memory of what it sounded like, other than LOUD. Thank God it was back in the day. Most of my career I've used 215s, with the occasional foray into 410s.

Element Zero likes this.
  14. I do admit my band has a CD as well. Some people even buy them.

15. Iv@N

Iv@N

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, G&L
    That’s a LOT of cabs

bdplaid likes this.
  16. kranahan

Nevermind! I will not be purchasing a Subway 2x12 grill. They are $349.99! Don't damage your grills. Otherwise, it'll cost ya!

17. Unfortunately, an instrument in which there is insufficient interest these days....

18. red_rhino

red_rhino Gold Supporting Member

I see what you did there. :thumbsup:

P_Robyn likes this.
  19. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    Ok, I'm laughing as I write this...

I took the second cab last night per request. Sound man told me to turn down. I disconnected the second cab, but then realized (I had forgotten) how much better I liked the two together, so I reconnected it. They created the monster, so now they deal with it. ;-)

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190917213735401.

Ebelow, Leo was right, Xansky and 9 others like this.
  20. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Looks like a boxer entering the ring with a towel over their head lol.

Al Kraft and bdplaid like this.