1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Official" Mikro Bass Club Part 3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    Nice.

Steve Dallman likes this.
  2. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    @Steve Dallman

Just curious. Do you have some high frets, or need some truss ro tweaking, or maybe need to lower your nut slots?

It saddens me that you're not happy with the string height.

3. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

Let me clarify...The action on the neck is perfect. When I play my fingers brush against the body...especially when using my thumb or a pick. I grew up on Fenders and like the distance from the strings to the body. The added pickguard puts that distance in the right place and makes playing this bass more familiar and comfortable. I am a guitar and amp tech and do my own setups and fretwork.

Greenstreet and deepender like this.
  4. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    I used my Mikro in church recently.

wintremute and Greenstreet like this.
  5. TwinDad

TwinDad

May 18, 2017
    Kentucky
    The only odd thing I notice when playing mine is the pickups are sort of in the way. Maybe I need to lower them a bit. My fingers tend to scrape a bit on the edge when I’m sitting and playing between the pickups. Ive taken to playing directly over the neck pickup so my finger hits the face of the pickup instead of scraping the edge. Not an issue when standing because my hand rotates a bit and my fingers don’t touch anything.

Maybe it’s just that my other bass is a full size P and there’s just a lot more room around the pickup...

deepender likes this.
  6. Greenstreet

Greenstreet

Aug 31, 2017

Right. Take a drink.

There are guitars and basses made from "junk" wood (things like shipping pallets, reclaimed barn wood, etc) that sound amazing, and there are instruments made from gorgeous examples of figured exotic woods that look great, but just sound lifeless and flat.

Get it set up the way you want it and it's good to go. If the color really bothers you, you can always refinish it in Sherwood Green (or whatever color you want, like Sherwood Green).

There you go. The fretboard and tuning are the same as on a guitar (without the B and E, of course), a lot of what you already know as a guitarist will transfer directly to bass (picking closer to the neck will be warmer and rounder, closer to the bridge brighter and more metallic, etc), and you already have a grasp on muting, fretting cleanly, etc, so you've already got a head start.

There are some good Youtube videos that may help, too.

Have fun, stick with it, and you'll be where you want to be in no time!

TheAlien and deepender like this.
  7. Greenstreet

Greenstreet

Aug 31, 2017
    Great stuff! The black curtain really makes the White Pearl finish "pop", too- nice!

deepender likes this.
  8. Greenstreet

Greenstreet

Aug 31, 2017
    It took me a little while to get used to the reverse mounted Precision. I still prefer the standard mounting, but I've adapted.

The pickup height should be adjusted for tone and balance. I wouldn't try to adjust the height to accommodate seated plucking between the pickups. I don't think it would help for what you're describing.

The stock pickup covers do have sharp corners/edges. I ended up swapping out the covers on mine:

MiKro 4.01 scaled.

My fretless has the stock/original P (I actually swapped out the J, but kept the stock cover on it), but I eased the corners and edges on both pickups with sandpaper and finished with some 600.

Nothing radical, just enough to get rid of the sharp edges. It did the job.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    Hues, wintremute, kevk and 3 others like this.
  9. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    Thanks.

The Mikro (I call her Pearl) is really fun to play.

kevk and Greenstreet like this.
  10. TwinDad

TwinDad

May 18, 2017
    Kentucky
    Hmm... it might actually be the reverse mounting that's tripping me up. The pickup is not where I expect it to be, and the upper end is closer to the bridge pickup than I'm used to. I expect after a bit more use, I'll cease to notice...

Rounding the sharp edges is a pretty good idea, though...

deepender and Greenstreet like this.
  11. Greenstreet

Greenstreet

Aug 31, 2017
    Another option: have you tried a ramp? It may or may not be what you're looking for, but with the shorter scale length of the MiKro, a lighter touch is a good thing.

If it sounds like it might be helpful, you could try making a temporary one and sticking it in place with a 3M Command Strip, just to see if it works for you.

If it's a "keeper", you can make a more refined ramp out of wood. You can even dye it transparent red to match your bass.

Just a thought.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    deepender likes this.
  12. TwinDad

TwinDad

May 18, 2017
    Kentucky
    Ramp? Not sure I follow what you mean. Can you share a picture?

deepender likes this.
  13. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    You'll find a lot of info, including pics of ramps here.

Basically, it's a hunk of wood the same height as the pups, between the pups.

Greenstreet likes this.
  14. Greenstreet

Greenstreet

Aug 31, 2017
    A ramp is basically a piece of wood, shaped to fit directly in between the pickups so it feels uniform all of the way across.

This picture is not mine, it's from Google Images:

FingerRamp.

deepender, TwinDad and wintremute like this.
  15. Roger Blackman

Roger Blackman

Mar 19, 2018
    A serious left hand injury stopped me playing years ago then last year someone suggested I should try an Ashbory and I'm back in business. I've joined a gigging band so graduated to the longest scale I can play - an Ibanez Mikro bass. I found this thread really useful when researching so thanks to you all for your posts. I wanted to get as close as possible to the Fender sound so carried out some mods you may be interested in. Photo shows soldering just completed and first test! I had a piezo fitted bridge lying around so added that too. Seymour Duncan P bass (covers didn't fit well so used the originals) and J bass pickup, all wired to an Artec SE2 active pre-amp. I linked the P bass and piezo together with a 3 way switch and can blend the J pickup into any combination or use any pickup on its own. The sound range is pretty wide and the solid bridge and heavy mahogany body give the bass a warm sustainy natural tone. The bass played perfectly out of the box and the neck especially is great - narrow and thin and so easy for me to play. Thanks again for all the info, I can't stop playing it!
    Mikro pickups.

BDrums, wintremute, Xad and 3 others like this.
  16. johnp352

johnp352

Aug 19, 2005
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner, GK
    congrats Roger..interesting with the bridge..how about a fretless with no mag pu's and just the piezo.

did the change in scale help so much that you can play pain free? that's great.

deepender and Greenstreet like this.
  17. Roger Blackman

Roger Blackman

Mar 19, 2018
    Thanks John, the pain went long ago - it’s the missing 2 middle digits and fused joints that cause the problem!!! So with the lack of reach I have, the Mikro scale and neck are pretty playable for me.

Yes, the piezo bridge would be ideal for a fretless but I have the Ashbory (piezo only in bridge and pahoehoe strings) which sounds pretty close to an upright when amplified. With the Mikro’s round wound strings the piezo alone sounds really harsh even with it eqd. You can get a really interesting sound when it’s amplified - it can sound just like it does when played acoustically but louder. I haven’t tried it at a rehearsal or gig yet but I’ll report back when I have. I fitted it more to experiment with blending than to use it on its own.

18. johnp352

johnp352

Aug 19, 2005
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner, GK
    I have a Rick Turner Renaissance fretless bass with both a mag and the Turner Piezo bridge. he has a good explanation of what a mag pu does to the signal of the piezo..It "smears" it harmonically.

19. Greenstreet

Greenstreet

Aug 31, 2017

Welcome to the club, #154-

Glad to hear that you're getting back into the groove!

20. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    Nice work Roger!

Glad you're back in the game.