1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Official" Mikro Bass Club Part 3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Roger Blackman

Roger Blackman

Mar 19, 2018
    Thanks for the comments and encouragement - much appreciated!

Greenstreet, johnp352 and deepender like this.
  2. GRS1959

GRS1959

Dec 27, 2015
    NE Ohio
    I absolutely love my Mikro, but have wanted to pick up a 34" scale bass for quite a while. My only criteria...<$800, slim neck, active preamp w/bypass, not too heavy, and not a Fender.

I looked long and hard at the upper-tier standard models from Ibanez, but reallly do not like the direction they have gone with their color/finish options. After changing my mind several times, I decided on a Yamaha TRBX604.

So far I love it. I was worried that I would start to ignore the Mikro, but after switching back and forth, I appreciate the Mikro even more.
    52B91B1E-668E-4AED-ACC3-3C7B00E2148F.

Greenstreet and deepender like this.
  3. I'm thinking of picking one of these up for my 9 yo nephew. He plays the kids upright in school orchestra and is interested in the electric. Is there a list of cons or must change( tuners, saddle, pickups, strings)for this bass or known issues. I'll set it up for him first before I give it to him for his birthday in June. I know little of modern ibanez, had an ATK305 in late 90's early 00's and less of short scale basses. Thank you.

4. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    I can only speak about those sold about 10 years ago.

Those had a common issue with running out of adjustment room before getting intonation on the E string right.

I also thought that the pups were a little one dimensional, but I was used to active basses. I quickly installed a preamp.

The plastic knobs bothered a few people.

I think that some of these things are no longer issues.

I think the Mikro is a great bass; starter or otherwise.

Greenstreet and Funkdified like this.
  5. GRS1959

GRS1959

Dec 27, 2015
    NE Ohio
    I bought my Mikro about 3 yrs ago...all of the above still applied. The electronics on mine were so bad, I could practice with my volume knobs turned all the way off. Replaced the pickups and pots with a EMG Geezer Butler set...huge improvement. Replaced the knobs with cheap metal ones from amazon. The intonation issue still is not totally sorted out.

deepender and Funkdified like this.

6. Are you the guy who had to route the j cavity out to fit the gzr j in?

deepender likes this.
  7. GRS1959

GRS1959

Dec 27, 2015
    NE Ohio
    Yes, the rout on mine was a little short for a standard J. You can use a “short J”, but the mounting ears do not line up. I determined it would be better to widen the routing rather than mucking up the routing around the ears. Some files and patience made the J pickup fit

8. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    I also had to make adjustment to get my J in.

9. Good to know. Thanks

deepender likes this.
  10. Greenstreet

Greenstreet

Aug 31, 2017
    I can't think of a better choice.

The MiKro frets are very easy to remove. If he's already accustomed to playing without frets, it's an option that might be worth considering.

The very early version of the MiKro had some issues with the tuners and E saddle. To my knowledge, those issues have been resolved. I put some Wilkies on one of mine, and ended up putting the stock tuners back on. They do the job just fine.

The bridge is fine. I haven't had any problems getting the intonation dialed in.

The pickups are both basic, inexpensive steel-pole ceramic bar magnet pickups. The Precision is actually pretty good for what it is. The Jazz isn't great as a stand-alone pickup, but it's fine for modifying the tone of the P. I replaced mine, but if I hadn't already had some pickups that I really like on hand, I would've been fine with the stock pickups.

Some MiKro owners have replaced their pickups and found a marked improvement, others have cycled through various higher end pickups, only to find that they liked the stock pickups better.

We also have some club members who have installed active electronics in theirs. Many who have done it love it, but I personally prefer passive to active, and in any case it might be overkill for your purposes.

When it comes to pickups, I don't think there's really a "better" or "worse", it's a matter of what works in your instrument for the sounds you're looking for.

You should know that the J pickup is not a standard size. The ears are spaced like a bridge J, but the pickup itself is sized like a neck J. Be sure to measure first if you're planning on buying a new pickup. For me, the easiest solution was to pop the ceramic pickup out of the cover and put the AlNiCo pickup in the stock pickup's cover.

I wasn't thrilled with the stock strings. I've got tapes on the fretless and nickel pressure wound on the other. Both were marked upgrades from stock, in terms of feel, playability, and tone.

I also replaced the plastic knobs with chromed brass, shielded the cavities, and replaced the electronics and wiring. No problems with the stock harness, but since I had better quality components on hand, and I had to pull everything out to do the shielding anyway, I saw no reason not to upgrade while I was in there.

None of these upgrades are necessary in order to have a good, solid, playable instrument- many club members love their MiKros right out of the box, others have fun customizing them to their preferences.

You'll probably want to adjust the action at the nut- they tend to be cut just a little bit high. I cut a bone nut for my fretless, but the stock plastic nut is actually better than I expected it to be. The action on the bridge side was spot on. Truss rods on mine were right where they should be. One of mine needed a very slight level and crown. Overall, I was very surprised by the frets out of the box- I've seen much worse on instruments costing 4X what these cost.

Intonation out of the box was very close- if I remember correctly, the D was a few millicents sharp on the strobe tuner. Obviously I had to make some adjustments after doing the nut, the frets, and switching to a different type of string.

Moody Tuner, BDrums and deepender like this.
  11. Greenstreet

Greenstreet

Aug 31, 2017

Another option is to buy the Short J, pop it out of the cover, and put it in the stock J cover. That way you don't have to cut into the body at all.

deepender likes this.
  12. GRS1959

GRS1959

Dec 27, 2015
    NE Ohio
    But then it wouldn’t have the EMG logo on it.

deepender and Greenstreet like this.
  13. Greenstreet

Greenstreet

Aug 31, 2017

I was just thinking about not having to alter the body routing. Not having the EMG logo is just a side bonus.

deepender, Funkdified and GRS1959 like this.
  14. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    It's not the pickup routes on yours which were a little short for any of J pickup standard sizes, but just as you and others have described, it is Ibanez J pickup which size isn't standard. So, it's not only on the Mikros or their other more economical basses, but most of their basses with their own J pickups were routed like that.

I'm also having a hard time "upgrading" the two J pickups on my SRAS7 because of their non-standard size, which is exactly as you and others have described, the housing is just like a short J but the 4 mounting ears are line-up with long J. I want to change them with hum-canceling/split coil J pickups, so I can solo them without worrying any hum.

P2050009.JPG

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    deepender likes this.
  15. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    Just had to remove a bit.

Probably less than 1/8".

16. JohnRC

JohnRC

Dec 15, 2017
    I might have missed something but it appears that the Mikro is not in the bass lineup anymore on the Ibanez site. Is this so?

17. GRS1959

GRS1959

Dec 27, 2015
    NE Ohio
    Its there.
    miKro | PRODUCTS | Ibanez guitars

Greenstreet likes this.
  18. RobertF

RobertF

Dec 11, 2018
    IMG_3306.JPG Good morning gentlemen, and ladies.
    A pop up on Facebook yesterday, advertised as a mahogany body with rosewood fingerboard, 2018 model . . . . For £127 !
    Brand new from a dealer. Due to arrive today.

BDrums, Xad, UbassDanno and 5 others like this.
  19. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    Nice.

Enjoy.

Greenstreet and RobertF like this.
  20. OldStrummer

OldStrummer

Dec 29, 2018
    Ashburn, VA
    Congrats, looks nice (£127 = $164.65US). Better price than I've seen here and online!