1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Official" Mikro Bass Club Part 3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. jdarctic

jdarctic

Nov 19, 2018
    Requesting a number for joining the Mikro Group.
    Interestingly, I just did my intonation. I had a similar problem when I was screwing the screw past a certain distance and it wouldn't go further. So I couldn't get a perfect intonation. Is it just a burr or is the screw to short or something? I was almost going to give up on the Mikro but after the intonation, it's so much better.

Greenstreet and deepender like this.
  2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    My guess is the hole in the saddle for the intonation screws are blind and you may have reached it's limit.

3. TwinDad

TwinDad

May 18, 2017
    Kentucky
    I don’t think so, at least in my case. Compared to the other presumably identical saddles I should have had quite a bit more travel left. I’m betting it’s a burr on the screw thread.

jdarctic and deepender like this.
  4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Then perhaps using a shorter screw or installing some washers under the screw head might help to avoid it. If I suspected a burr I'd probably try chasing the hole with the proper tap, but that's me.

Greenstreet, deepender and TwinDad like this.
  5. Jack LeRoi

Jack LeRoi Commercial User

Jul 2, 2018
    Denver, CO
    DMS, Ltd. - Musical Electronics Repair Specializing In Vintage Synthesizers
    On mine, there is a hole in the underside of the saddles that exposes the end of the screw so you can see if it's reached the limit.

6. db22

db22

Sep 25, 2017
    I have D'Addario 45-100 Chromes flats on my Mikro. They sound wonderful after a bit of break-in. I replaced the stock bridge with an aluminum Hipshot B-style. When I finished intonating the new bridge, I noticed the saddle had crept past the beginning of the thread wrap on the E, but that has no effect on the tone to my ear.

deepender likes this.
  7. Jack LeRoi

Jul 2, 2018
    Denver, CO
    I got another Mikro 4 from that sugary liquid place this week and compared it to the one I got from the center that sells guitars. The bridges were both the stock B10. The placement of the two bridges were as close to identical as I could measure. The necks were also identical. Both were made in Indonesia. The intonation for the new one didn't require as extreme adjustment as the first one, especially for the E string. I did the setup with the original strings. I can't explain the difference. I didn't try the Dunlop Flats on it, as I figured it wouldn't give me any more data. I altered the bridge on the original one. The length adjustment screw for the E saddle was already shorter than the others but I cut 3/8" to 1/4" off all of them. I also shortened the screw threaded nipples on the saddles for the G, A and E strings. I was able to get the intonation almost exact, within a few cents difference at maximum. The positions of the saddles is very similar to the position of the saddles on my 34" scale P Bass Lyte that also has Dunlop Flats 45-105s on it. I'm going to call this good and keep the first one I bought. My opinion now with two data points is that:

1. The Mikro 4 is a cheap guitar that's actually better quality than the price. I checked the fret rocker and there's no problem.
    2. Because it's cheap there's a significant variation in quality. The second one I got had a lot of little cracks with the grain in the fret board. It looks like the cracks were in the wood, not from any manufacturing problem. The pieces of wood glued up for the body were a really poor match. The glue lines showed through the transparent finish.
    3. The bridge on the Mikro 4 is placed for the original strings. There's not enough adjustment in the bridge for the range of strings that might be put on it.

Maybe at some point I'll replace the bridge, but I'm not really up for a lot of mods. It plays ok, it sounds ok, it is ok. I'd like to get the action a little lower without frets buzzing. I've adjusted the neck relief and the saddle height. I don't think the neck angle is a problem. If I get too annoyed with it I'll take it to get a professional opinion.

Here's the pix for the Mikro saddle set up and my Fender P Bass Lyte saddle set up.

20190302_110208. 20190302_110224.

Moody Tuner and deepender like this.
  8. crunchysock

crunchysock

Dec 29, 2011
    I picked this one up yesterday for $40. I've been keeping an eye on the local Craigslist for a shortscale I could cut down and stash in a closet at work. I spotted this and figured it would work. When I picked it up last night I was shocked how clean it was. I an only find one little scuff on the back. I spent some time with it this morning and am now rethinking chopping it up. The neck on this is nicer than my p-bass. I might see if my 6 year old is interested in it, if she is I might end up refinishing it in pink.
    Mikro1. Mikro2.

9. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    is it not ok to say sweetwater and guitar center?

deepender likes this.
  10. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    might be cheaper to find a pink one and sell the green one. unless you do your own refinishing.
    lg_3795d183f93670add026006c48e09064.

11. jdarctic

jdarctic

Nov 19, 2018
    How do you get the best sound out of your Mikro?

My first bass was the white one in the picture. My Smash SB-1 (by Swing Guitar Technology), also made in Indonesia, has perfect intonation everywhere. Sounds great too. Couldn't believe it on such a cheap bass.

I got a Mikro 4 string but didn't like it at the beginning. Didn't play it much. I mainly got it because my hand was hurting on the 34" scale bass. My hand got better so I didn't play it much. But I kind of overdid it so I pulled out the Mikro. Because I didn't like it I thought I should try adjusting it.

So I first checked the string height and adjusted the string height pretty low with a little buzz, but not a bad balance of height and buzz. (more rattle than buzz?) Might need to go back and adjust the neck.

The E string still a bit floppy (is yours like that?)

I checked the intonation. It was terrible. I got it much better, although one screw wouldn't go any further, so not perfect. Sounds much better after the intonation adjustment.

I sprang for a Behringer BDI21 DI and Pre-amp and it gave many different sound possibilities.

I'm using a Boss VE-8, which is actually for guitar, but I'm using the USB interface and I could further adjust some effects like bass, treble and mid and some effects.

Much improved. I'd like more tonal possibilities. Maybe I need a compressor too. But I'm not sure.

But aside from changing the pickups or modifying, how do you get good tone you like from your Mikro?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    deepender likes this.
  12. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    I went with a Babycz bridge and EMGX pups and preamp.

I also use a touch of compression (Keeley Bassist) and dirt (VMT).

jdarctic likes this.
  13. crunchysock

crunchysock

Dec 29, 2011
    She’s 6, so I’d sand it, prime it, then rattle can it. It would likely be covered in Minnie Mouse stickers in a week.

14. The factory Mikro strings are .040"-.095", which I find is a bit loose. I replaced them strings with the D'Addario EXL-170S set (.045"-.100") and that tightened things up enough for me. I didn't have to widen the nut slots, though I did have to re-intonate, of course. A Mikro will never feel like a 34" bass, but the EXL-170 strings feel pretty good.

15. Jack LeRoi

Jul 2, 2018
    Denver, CO
    I use Dunlop Flats 45-105 and they're good. The E isn't too floppy but at the short length it does sound a bit flabby.

16. Greenstreet

Greenstreet

Aug 31, 2017
    Welcome, member #154! Post a pic when you get a chance-

17. Greenstreet

Greenstreet

Aug 31, 2017
    4a72ed53a02d96dd0c8f28a16953e37d.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    deepender likes this.
  18. Greenstreet

Greenstreet

Aug 31, 2017
    The stock screw is a 25mm stainless steel panhead Philips machine screw, size M3-0.5 pitch.
    You could always buy a replacement screw of the same variety that's a few mm longer or shorter.

deepender and TwinDad like this.
  19. Greenstreet

Greenstreet

Aug 31, 2017

I don't know how much closet space you'd save by cutting off the headstock- might be lots of work for very little payoff.

If my memory serves me, they didn't make all too many of the green ones. Hypercarrots could give you a definitive stat on that, but it seems a shame to paint over it, being a rare color and all.

(that being said, I refinished two of mine, so I'm in no position to say anything...)

deepender likes this.
  20. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    lime green metallic was only listed in the 2015 catalog