1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Official" Mikro Bass Club Part 3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Jack LeRoi

Jack LeRoi Commercial User

Jul 2, 2018
    Denver, CO
    DMS, Ltd. - Musical Electronics Repair Specializing In Vintage Synthesizers
    Just kidding with the names. I say "the center that sells guitars" because I think they're a cheesy bunch and don't want to use the actual name, but I buy from them anyway if I have to. Some other people played along with other names so I kept the joke going.

Greenstreet and deepender like this.
  2. Greenstreet

Greenstreet

Aug 31, 2017
    ^ There you have it. Limited release.

(I'd still love to get my hands on one with a maple fretboard)

deepender likes this.
  3. jdarctic

jdarctic

Nov 19, 2018
    Thank you!

1551930273884. 1551930273884. 1551930266526.

4. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    91BF4614-EF7A-414C-AB40-7CA5378532F0. :hyper:NBD! JUST ORDER THE MIKRO IN ROOTBEER METALLIC! Added pics below!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  5. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    Nice.

I always love/hate the wait when something I've ordered is coming.

I always keep checking the tracking destinations.

Again... And again...

6. Greenstreet

Greenstreet

Aug 31, 2017

Wow- nice! Looks like you got one with a rosewood fingerboard, too!

deepender and jdarctic like this.
  7. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    It might just be the shot, but that fingerboard looks real dry.

I think mine was real dry when I got it.

There's stuff out there to remedy that.

jdarctic and Greenstreet like this.
  8. Greenstreet

Greenstreet

Aug 31, 2017

Do I ever know that one...

deepender likes this.
  9. Greenstreet

Greenstreet

Aug 31, 2017
    I like bore oil- I use Roche Thomas. It's much better than the various lemon oils or fretboard oils that are sold at ridiculously inflated prices. Most of the expensive fretboard oils are just mineral oil with added solvents, wax, and lemon fragrance.

There are well-meaning people on the internet who will tell you to use things like olive oil, linseed oil, or vegetable oil.
    Don't do it. These oils will not only polymerize and eventually gum up your board, they'll also go rancid.

Bore oil is around $5 (USD) for 2 ounces, which will last forever, and it's a better product. Apply a light coat, let it sit for a minute, then wipe off with a dry cloth or paper towel. Once every few years is plenty.

10. I was going to start a new thread asking about the Mikro. But I see the old club thread popped up.

I'm mostly curious about electronics. I had a GSR200 years ago and everything appears to be identical except for the "Phat Boost" active part.

Are the pickups and pots the same? My GSR200 had 500k pots and the pickups had a wonderful growl.

If the Mikro is the same it will be an easy purchase. I miss my 200 but would rather have short scale and don't need that active boost.

Greenstreet and deepender like this.
  11. johnp352

johnp352

Aug 19, 2005
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner, GK
    Greenstreet likes this.
  12. It is my impression that bore oil is available at most all music stores, at a much lower price than specialty fingerboard oil. Also, if that less expensive oil is appropriate for clarinets and oboes ranting up as much as $10K, it should be good enough for our fingerboard.

13. UbassDanno

UbassDanno

Nov 9, 2018
    Sun City, AZ
    I'll just stick with lemon oil, get one of these and it'll last forever and not smell like oil...
    [​IMG]

14. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    That’s the stuff!:thumbsup:

deepender and Greenstreet like this.
  15. JohnRC

JohnRC

Dec 15, 2017
    UbassDanno. In one of your earlier threads you were wondering which strings would give you a sound that was close to a u-bass. I have looked to try and find out if you were successful or not but have not found an answer. If you can please let me/us know what you found. I am looking for the same sound and will likely have to order from the US since there are few choices here. I would like to get it right.
    Thanks, John

16. Greenstreet

Greenstreet

Aug 31, 2017
    Conductor 14 is right.

There are different types of oils marketed as "fingerboard oil"- some are just regular drugstore mineral oil (sold as laxative) with some fragrance and coloring added, then sold at exorbitant prices (e.g. $.30 worth of mineral oil for $18.99).

Others are various petrochemicals with added solvents, waxes, and fragrances. These are often labeled as "lemon oil", even though they contain no actual lemon oil, and are usually furniture products repackaged and sold as specialized musical instrument care products, again at wildly inflated prices.

The best of the oils sold as "fretboard oil" are nothing more than bore oil with a different label. This was confirmed by the manufacturer of the fretboard oil most highly recommended on the various music fora.

After going back and forth with the manufacturer about the MSDS for both the bore oil and the fretboard oil, they finally acknowledged that they were the same product with a different label, but the fretboard oil sells for the ridiculously inflated price of $29.99/60ml.

Interestingly, I just looked the product up on Amazon so I could confirm the price, and I checked the product description while I was there. The product description for the fretboard oil describes why their bore oil is superior to others on the market. Curiosity piqued, I looked up the bore oil under the same brand, and sure enough, they had just cut-and-pasted the description of the bore oil into the fretboard oil page, without even taking the time to change the word "bore oil" to "fretboard oil".

As far as Old English Lemon Oil goes, if you look up the MSDS, you'll see that there's no actual lemon oil in the product. It's basically C13-C14 alkanes with added solvents, colorants, artificial fragrances, and paraffin wax.

On one hand, I know people who have used Old English oil for years and not had any problems, I also know several luthiers who use it and recommend it.

On the other hand, I've heard from several sources (indirectly- from a friend whose cousin knew someone who read it on the internet, etc) that the solvents in lemon oil can penetrate the wood and loosen the frets, or even the glue holding the fretboard to the neck.

In my opinion, if you're using enough oil to penetrate that deeply, you're way over-doing it on the oil, so take it for what it's worth.

The frets in my MiKros were not glued in, but there are several different plants that manufacture them for Ibanez, and others in this thread have said that their frets were glued in. Without knowing what kind of glue was used (if any), some might be hesitant to get solvent near the frets (capillary action and all that).

Others have reported that the solvents in the Old English product removed some of the stain from their fretboard. I have no hands-on experience with the newer Jatoba fingerboards, but the rosewood fingerboards on both of my MiKros were dyed for more uniform color.

The bore oil I linked to will set you back a fin. I've had the same bottle for a little over a decade, and use it on my acoustic and electric guitars, basses, ukuleles, and mandolin. I still have over half of the bottle left. It's inexpensive, and it does the job at least as well as, and in the opinions of many, better than, any of the products listed above.

TL;DNR: In my opinion, any of the above will work, but bore oil is the most effective and most economical option.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    BDrums and deepender like this.
  17. jdarctic

jdarctic

Nov 19, 2018
    Back to the Mikro bass -- sounds... I can get decent sounds out of the Mikro, but the E string is bothering me. Sometimes I just can't get an even sound. It's the only string that sometimes goes, BONG! in a strange way different than the other strings. Whereas, other times I can get all 4 strings sounding even. I don't know what's up.
    (video)
    Is it simply my headphones or speaker system? Can you hear it too? Is it just distorting because of not enough bass response? I have Sennheiser HD215 headphones:

FREQUENCY RESPONSE (HEADPHONES) 12 - 22000 Hz
    SOUND PRESSURE LEVEL (SPL) 112 dB
    THD, TOTAL HARMONIC DISTORTION < 0,2 %
    EAR COUPLING circumaural
    JACK PLUG 3.5/6.3 mm stereo
    CABLE LENGTH 3 m
    TRANSDUCER PRINCIPLE dynamic, closed
    WEIGHT w/o cable: ~ 280 g
    NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 32 Ω

I get actual electronic noise too. It stops when I touch the strings or computer.

Anyway, I don't think I have the E problem or the noise from my other bass, so I ask.

18. Greenstreet

Greenstreet

Aug 31, 2017

The string tension is lower on the MiKro because of the shorter scale length, so it does require a lighter touch. Not getting an even sound is down to technique.

It could also be a setup issue (low nut slot, low saddle, incorrect neck relief, etc).

I'll see if I can help you drill down on it later, when I have some time, and/or maybe some others can shed some light.

Electronic noise sounds like a grounding issue.

19. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    2B8C1682-88CC-4662-8970-44944CDF9255. A211AE07-1355-4023-831C-A445D49EB760. 2B8C1682-88CC-4662-8970-44944CDF9255. A211AE07-1355-4023-831C-A445D49EB760. 9FCCDAD9-7753-4456-9621-C741BA140E93. FF514DFD-B96B-4852-863D-7BE4B32DF26E. 507160B6-1756-4026-B438-085C8519C598. Finally arrived! Everything seems beautiful!