"Official" Mikro Bass Club Part 3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. ml11

ml11

May 26, 2021
    Gotcha, ya Ill have to learn more about it on YouTube!

deepender and MovinTarget like this.
  2. Stealth57

Stealth57

Aug 28, 2020
    NorCal
  3. I became a member yesterday with a Walnut GSRM20B. Hoping to get a number...

I had some time to play today and I do believe it's a keeper. :)

Attached Files:

4. Greenstreet

Greenstreet

Aug 31, 2017
    You're #221. Welcome, and congrats!

5. Thank you!

6. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland

How to Set Up a Bass

Greenstreet and MovinTarget like this.
  7. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    Congrats enjoy.

8. enzodm

enzodm

Mar 3, 2016
    Italy
    Hi, I am not a Club member but I thought this is the best place to ask a question about the Mikro. I have the possibility of buying a used Mikro, which could be not too recent (I will know next week: I know it has one screw tuners, it's metallic red or root beer, not sure). Apart from plastic knobs, is there some evident reason (quality issues?) not to buy an old Mikro, considering that savings vs. the new price are not much? I would rather save money, but not at the cost of quality - I am already sacrificing color :) (I like weathered black). Thanks.

deepender likes this.
  9. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    As with *ANY* used purchase, test it before you buy it. These are not expensive instruments, but still:

• Make sure the electronics work and there is no audible static (scratchiness) when turning the knobs.
    • Take it out of tune and back into tune to make sure the tuners are functional
    • INSPECT THE NECK!!!! Make sure there are no twists or extreme curves. (you *might* be able to adjust for normal bowing/curving but you need to make sure its not too much)
    • Check for buzzing/dead spots, this may be due to any number of reasons, but if the string height is good, the neck is fairly straight and you still get buzzing or dead spots, that can be a red flag if you aren't familiar with fixing such things.

10. enzodm

enzodm

Mar 3, 2016
    Italy
    Thanks, these are checks I would do in any case (I have found it close to my city), but I was trying to understand if, with time, Mikros were updated to solve some issue. I have read pickup changed (dynamix vs something other), for example: is it just a nominal change, or was it due to issues with old pickups?

deepender likes this.
  11. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I can't speak to that. Maybe someone else can...

deepender and enzodm like this.
  12. WestyBassBob

WestyBassBob Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2020
    That’s a really good question. I think the new vs used debate for an instrument of this price is worth discussing. If you think you will play it a lot and don’t dig the color don’t buy it.
    Buying new gives you the opportunity to pick and choose. So if you really want a Mikro don’t cheap out and buy a used one in a bad color. Especially since you’re not really saving much.

13. WestyBassBob

WestyBassBob Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2020
    The Mikro uses Ibanez brand Dynamix pups and has for several years. I am not aware of any issues with their pups. But generally they are considered to be serviceable if unimpressive sounding. They are probably the cheapest pups you could buy beyond an unbranded one. It’s why everyone always talks about upgrading their pups so much on here. But they work and sound totally fine.

14. John Stephen

John Stephen Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    I'm also not expert on the pickups, but I believe one item that Ibanez did change or improve over time was the tuning machines. The early ones got pretty bad reviews. I can't remember where I read that -- it might have been here on TB. Regardless, follow MovinTarget's advice, and detune/tune the bass to see if the tuners are okay and hold their tuning.

15. Xad

Xad

Sep 23, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    The one-screw tuners are fine. It was the 4-screw tuners that had issues. So you should be fine there. If you can get a great price for it, awesome!

If weight matters to you, the red or root beer is likely to weigh more than the weathered black (based on the small sample of 8 mikros that have passed through my hands over the past several years :)). My two walnut and weathered-black mikros were each ~5.5lbs, whereas my poly finish mikros have been more like ~6.5lbs.

16. Most of the comments I’ve seen about pickups refer to the sound quality of the J bridge one.

17. Back a while (I can’t give you a reply number) we discussed options we’d like to see possible for Mikros, and someone posted a photo of one with a maple fretboard. Does anyone happen to own one of those?

18. Greywoulf

Greywoulf Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    OK, the luthier found the problem... Reason the wire inside to the jack broke off the solder joint was that the jack was partially loose and not screwed down tight so it moved around a bit, which broke the connection. And I suspect the friggin' too-heavy instrument cable I was using contributed to loosening that jack too, whenever it was inserted and removed.
    Anyway, since I avoid soldering like it was the Virus, all this made me find a darn good luthier (Raritan Bay Guitar Service) close by in my NJ area. He replaced the jack with a Switchcraft one, added a locknut to the jack so it wouldn't easily loosen again, fixed and re-soldered the wire, and even adjusted the Mikro's pups as he thot they were a little low... The final bill came to $15 for the new Switchcraft jack and $25 for the labor, and he did it all in 1/2hr while I waited! Needless to say I am pleased, and will definitely uses his services again if and when they're needed! :thumbsup:
    Greywoulf

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  19. Stealth57

Stealth57

Aug 28, 2020
    NorCal
    I changed my strings to LaBella 750T-S, now the E string feels sloppy. It is .105, which is the same I use on a Talman 100. If I use an aggressive attack, the Mikro can roll the string off the frets. Anyone else having this issue or do short scale basses need thicker strings?

deepender, RodRy and MovinTarget like this.
  20. Greywoulf

Greywoulf Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    I use GHS Precision Lite flats with an .095 E string w/o any problems. Perhaps your attack is a bit too 'aggressive'? -Maybe try using the V knobs a bit more instead?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021