"Official" Mikro Bass Club Part 3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    WestyBassBob and deepender like this.
  2. Stealth57

Stealth57

Aug 28, 2020
    NorCal
    7/64”

deepender and MovinTarget like this.
  3. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Bear in might that being shorter scale, the same gauge strings will be a little floppy than on a 34" bass, this mean you might need slightly more clearance for their movement. If you drop the pups just a smidge does that change anything?

deepender likes this.
  4. Stealth57

Stealth57

Aug 28, 2020
    NorCal
    Dropped both pups to between 5-6 32nds. No change. The buzz really is around the second octave when playing around the 3-7th frets. I have raised the saddles but maybe they need a bit more or a shim at the front of the pocket.

deepender and MovinTarget like this.
  5. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    This

MovinTarget likes this.
  6. WestyBassBob

WestyBassBob

Mar 2, 2020
    Is it all the strings? I would just raise them to the top and then lower until the buzz reappears. If you’re left with a stupid high action then start messing with the truss rod and see if you can work it down a bit. After that I’d take it in. Im not messing around with shims and stuff.

MovinTarget and deepender like this.
  7. WestyBassBob

WestyBassBob

Mar 2, 2020
    All this diagnosing has got me thinking that perhaps one of the things people like about the Mikro is that it does not play like a traditional bass at all. And I don’t just mean the short scale. I am thinking it seems to come from the factory set with a very low action which would appeal to guitar players.
    looking back on it I raised my saddles not once but twice to eliminate fret buzz and the action is still very low when compared to my SBMM ray which is still lower than a lot of long scale basses I’ve played in the stores.

8. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    I call that a big score.
    Lower than your other basses and playing well.
    Yeah baby.

9. bassnat

bassnat

Jan 31, 2011
    Can anyone please point me in the direction of a thread or other information about cases for Mikro’s? I have the Ibanez gig bag for my Mikro five string but would like some thing with a little more protection. TY

deepender and RodRy like this.
  10. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I think a lot of generic guitar cases would actually work if they come with adjustable padding...

Having a 2+2 headstock and that 28.6 scale, it's only a little longer than most full sized guitars, or check out cases for "baritone" guitars with are often in the 27-28" scale range.

11. WestyBassBob

WestyBassBob

Mar 2, 2020
    That's right, most guitar sized gig bags will work. I bought a road runner at GC for like $50 for mine. Fits great.

deepender, bassnat and MovinTarget like this.
  12. See post 6146. I happened across a guitar hard case in a pawn shop that had contour-cut padding. Took my Mikro in there and tried it. It’s not ‘perfect’, but it’s better than a generic rectangular guitar case that’s just an open rectangle. I think, though, that you could get a generic case and some foam the right thickness and cut something that would be a little better support around the bass’ body.

13. WestyBassBob

WestyBassBob

Mar 2, 2020
    I’m fine with what I have. Im not even gigging so the Mikro just sits in the closet for now. I still can’t decide if I want to set it up for my left handed son or string it BEAD or just keep it as a back up.

FWIW this is what my Mikro lives in. It’s a really nice gig bag. I know most people on TB only do cases but that’s overkill for me.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Road-R...EpjyAEmKC3fuATpqxTHPFifmtGLsri2AaAsXaEALw_wcB

deepender, MovinTarget and bassnat like this.
  14. John Stephen

John Stephen Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    Same here. Electric-guitar gig bag works fine for mine too.

bassnat, deepender and MovinTarget like this.
  15. Bassnat was inquiring about something more,
    I thought. That’s why I jumped into the postings.

bassnat and deepender like this.
  16. WestyBassBob

WestyBassBob

Mar 2, 2020
    No worries. To respond more directly to his question the Mikro will fit into almost any guitar case. It is almost exactly the same length as a standard electric (which was probably by design. I have come to the conclusion the Mikro was designed to appeal to guitar players who might occasionally want a bass)

17. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Well, I would guess that it's actually smaller than most full-sized guitars. Look at photos of guitars - the bridge placement is further from the end of the body than it is for basses. That means a short scale bass is often only the same length as a regular guitar. And a Mikro should be even shorter.

Here's a photo to illustrate.
    IMG_4566.JPG
    My short scale StingRay is only about 1/2" longer than my guitar, and my short scale P-bass is actually about 1/2" shorter than my guitar. I know, the perspective makes it seem like it's longer, but I've held them next to each other.
    :D

bassnat, deepender and MovinTarget like this.
  18. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    my mikro bass and fender stratocaster are about the same length from strap button to end of headstock.

19. WestyBassBob

WestyBassBob

Mar 2, 2020
    Right. There’s been a lot of talk on the Short scale Ray thread about that.
    There’s some variation in lengths but the simple fact is that the Mikro will fit into almost any guitar case easily. It’s just a question of how much you want to spend and what you like.

20. WestyBassBob

WestyBassBob

Mar 2, 2020
    Yes. In fact I have used the road runner bag for a strat I own.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021