"Official" Mikro Bass Club Part 3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. bassnat

bassnat

Jan 31, 2011
    Thanks very much everyone, I greatly appreciate your replies. I will look into guitar case options today.

RodRy and deepender like this.
  2. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I'm a lifelong bass player but can also do a solo act with guitar and vocals for small events. So I get the comparison to a standard guitar. I'd say the Mikro bass has the lowest action of all my Ibanez basses. I called my rep at Sweetwater and had him request the lightest bass and to make sure the frets were dressed, truss rod checked, and the action set. It arrived and after slight personal settings is a dream bass to play.

The only other change I might make is throwing some Nordstrand pickups in because I think it would give the Mikro a slightly edgier tone. Mikros rule!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  3. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    One day a couple years ago MF had a Stupid Deal of the Day on Mikro gig bags. I jumped on it and bought one. The gig bags are specifically made for the Ibanez Mikro and are Ibanez branded. Mine has worked great for small gigs and jam sessions and I can pack my GK MB200 head and cables into the pockets.

"Fits just like it should. Made specifically for the Ibanez Mikro and fits like a glove. Lots of pockets for straps, cables, spare strings, etc. too. Great price for the quality."

Here's a link from Sweetwater. Plus you get a bag of candy with your order! :)

Ibanez IBBMIKRO Bass Guitar Gig Bag - miKro Series

RodRy, bassnat and MovinTarget like this.
  4. WestyBassBob

WestyBassBob

Mar 2, 2020
    I bought a Fender P pup and the drop in saddle that guy on Reverb makes for the Mikro but I haven't started doing anything on it. I do still plan to remove the J pup, but that's a summer job.

5. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I've read that the P is a drop in but the J is more like neck sized. I'm going to contact Nordstrand to get their take on it. Who's the guy on Reverb?

RodRy and MovinTarget like this.
  6. WestyBassBob

WestyBassBob

Mar 2, 2020
  7. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    The trick with playing short scale basses is to use pick lighter.

Also what many don't realize is that the same tension, aka thicker gauge, on a short scale compared to a 34" scale bass with the same string tension will feel much stiffer on the short scale, so for me it's a matter of finding the right balance between proper tension and proper flexibility (think about a wooden stick laid out between two raised points, the further the two raised points are apart the less force is required to bend the stick on the middle, the closer the more force is required (aka more vs. less flexibility)).

Too thick gauge strings on a short scale will have a tendency to sound thuddy because of the increased stiffness of the shorter string span to vibrate.

My advice would be to adjust your playing technique to work with a short scale bass whenever playing it, as in picking with a lighter touch.

At one point I even used a gauge .095 to .040 roundwound string set on my Mikro Bass, tuned to regular E standard tuning, and to me that caused absolutely no issues.

Though for E standard tuning on a 4 string Mikro Bass to me a gauge .100 - .080 - .060 - .045 roundwound string set is absolutely perfect.

A gauge .105 string on the Mikro's just 28,6" scale to me feels way too stiff and above about 5th fret or so it starts to sound way too thuddy because of this, this can be remedied by using lighter gauge and accordingly lighter picking technique.

8. WestyBassBob

WestyBassBob

Mar 2, 2020
    I seem to be physically incapable of playing with a pick. But I agree. If you like a certain gauge on one scale you should try the same gauge before doing anything else.

Most short scale strings seem to just be basic medium-light gauge though. Not a lot of choices unless you go the boutique route.

RodRy, SouthPaul71 and MovinTarget like this.
  9. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    The "use" in that first sentence of my post is a typing mistake, I actually din't mean that you necessarily should use a pick, I meant that you should just pick lighter, regardless of weather you use your fingers or a pick for it.

As for special short scale sets I never bothered with that and never had any issues whatsoever using standard string sets cut to size to fit the shorter scale, as long as just making sure to make an abrupt bend on the string bellow the cutting point before cutting them.

Though I do realize that this is really only viable for roundwound strings, flatwound strings are most likely to get ruined if you attempt to cut them shorter, no matter which precautions you take.

10. WestyBassBob

WestyBassBob

Mar 2, 2020
    Good to know! I had thought that would be possible but haven’t tried it. I am happy with the strings that I’ve tried. I just swapped out the DR High Beams for some GHS Balanced Nickles in my Ray and I don’t know if it’s the strings or just that the DRs were dead but man do they sound nice.

11. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I use the strings that came with the Ibanez. They sound great right out of the box. I'm not aware of other short scale strings but if Ernie Ball made even 30" short scale roundwounds I would try those. I use EB and D'Addarios. Used to use Hartke but they got more expensive and cheaper packaging with string issues. That was of course the full length strings.

RodRy, SouthPaul71 and MovinTarget like this.
  12. Stealth57

Stealth57

Aug 28, 2020
    NorCal
    LaBella 750T-S and 750N-S. Hard to find but found the 750T-S at:

La Bella White Nylon Tape Wound Bass Strings 750T-S Short Scale 50-105

13. Al Camino

Al Camino

Apr 1, 2021
    Maine
    Ernie Ball do make a 30.5 nickel roundwound set, the 2852 and 2853 sets, link to EB page is Slinky Nickel Wound Electric Bass Short Scale Strings | Ernie Ball . I haven't tried either yet but want to try the 2852 regular slinky set.

14. SouthPaul71

SouthPaul71

Apr 3, 2021
    Flatwound D’Adarrios chromes 40-60-80-100 for short-scale. Deep and punchy. Love ‘em.

15. mikroman

mikroman

Mar 8, 2021
  16. bassnat

bassnat

Jan 31, 2011
    Here is a one minute sample of my http://hcut.to/v/x5MzTxs (google) Mikro 5 with Dunlop flat wounds > Eden World Tour Preamp Pedal > Board. I think these are great basses.

RodRy and deepender like this.
  17. BDrums

BDrums

Apr 8, 2017
    Muncie, Indiana
    I just "borrowed" one of the single screw tuners off my Mikro to fill in for a stripped tuner on my Spector (thanks to an overzealous tech with a speed winder) and the Ibanez tuner was an exact match, fit-wise. First I bought a set of what looked like matching "dolphin tail", single screw tuners for $18 on the Bay, but one was (deeply) scratched and they weren't glossy like the Ibanez. So I ate those and put new Gotoh's (under $50 from Amplified Parts on Reverb) on the Spector and they were also an exact fit.
    Ergo ... Gotoh's, or probably any generic 1 screw "dolphin tail" tuners (should) both fit.
    (I didn't look at your link before I'd posted, but they're the same tuners for abouy $15 less!) I have 2 Mikros and have never had any issues with the stock tuners, but if I really felt they needed upgraded, I'd go with these, too.)

Tuner - Gotoh, Compact for Bass, 2 per side, Color: Black | Amplified Parts | Reverb

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  18. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Mikro Basses of newer production date have proper metal knobs from stock, my 5 string Mikro Bass from 2020 came with metal chrome knobs too, my 4 string Mikro Basses from respectively 2010 and 2017 production with plastic, so must be quite recently Ibanez decided to make that upgrade to stock Mikros.

Also the 5 string from 2020 production came with properly shielded wires too, aka the ground wire running as a braided shield all along the insulated hot wire from the pickups, plugged in it was surprisingly quiet as well, taking into account that the 5 strings Mikro got 2 single coil J pickups instead of the P/J configuration of the 4 string.

So seems they oped the quality further, even if I have no complains whatsoever over my 2010 Mikro, back from when they were still made in China, from before Ibanez moved their Mikro Bass production to the Indonesian Cort factory, in fact this 2010 production Chinese Mikro has an outstandingly great neck, most stable neck I ever had on any bass or guitar I've ever owned, holds tuning exceptionally well and almost never require adjustments, and great fretwork as well (I can get the string action just as low as I prefer it without any fretbuzz whatsoever (which is about 2mm (5/64") @ last fret low E string side, ever so slightly lower at 12th fret)), which is more than I can say about the 2017 production one, which had horrible, right out unplayable, fretwork, buzzing all over, even with the string action set insanely high.

The 2020 production 5 string Mikro Bass however is pretty much flawless in terms of fretwork, in fact it has absolutely dead on perfect fretwork, I could get the string action insanely low if I wanted to on that one without any fretbuzz (though I don't really want that), some of the nut slots was cut a bit too deep though and I hate how the pickups sound, so not getting any playtime before I get a new nut and some proper quality pickups installed at some point.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  19. My walnut 2021 4 string Mikro has metal knobs too.

20. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    So many Mikro players talk about how much they love their Mikro's. A crazy idea. Wouldn't it be cool if Ibanez made a more premium line of Mikro's? Like higher end hardware, more wood choices than mahogany, etc. I guess some people really enjoy doing their own mods though. I guess eventually I'll have to take the dive and start doing my own mods. Back to my original thoughts-- the Mikro's are one of Ibanez's best kept secrets. Mine is my constant partner at work next to my desk.

RodRy, MovinTarget, Xad and 2 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021