"Official" Mikro Bass Club Part 3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Does anyone know of a black slotless bridge that will fit on a Mikro? You know, where you don't have to feed the string through a hole....

2. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    I tried suggesting that very thing to them a while ago through their email link, but got no response.

RodRy and MovinTarget like this.
  3. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    You're not the first to suggest this, and it does seem to be a popular sentiment in this club.

I also honestly believe it would actually be economically viable for Ibanez if they did so, I know at least I would get such a bass.

Currently Squier (Fender), Jackson and ESP got a share of the same market as the Mikro Bass covers, namely cheap budget 28.6" scale basses, so must be a great market for such basses for all those company to find it profitable having a share of, and I have no doubt the market for at least 1 premium option for such basses would be worth it for whatever company is first to get their head out of their butt and do something about it.

I just hope it will be Ibanez, cause out of those 4 options I like the Mikro Bass best.

Short scale basses is still the hot new thing, even if it has been so for some years by now, and I think it would be wise for Ibanez to take advantage of that while it lasts.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    RodRy, deepender and MovinTarget like this.
  4. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I guess from a marketing perspective they'd have to use "premium" woods, though I doubt many of us would care about that... the point being, as much as I would love to see a $500 premium Mikro, it would more likely be $800.

Sorry to be a downer, believe me I would love to see one!

alaskaleftybass, RodRy and deepender like this.
  5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I thought the Sunburst, Walnut and Black transparent flat (mahogany bodies with black hardware) were the "premium" finishes.

alaskaleftybass, RodRy and deepender like this.
  6. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I mean the woods themselves.

Also, not sure if there was a lil bit of humor in your comment as many of us know the finish on a mikro is not exactly.... durable...

RodRy and deepender like this.
  7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Sorry, no humor intended. My Sunburst and Walnut finishes have remained unscathed for several years.

8. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Cool! I just know when I had to widen the pot holes mine the finish cracked very easily, this prompted me to get a manual reamer which, I'm sure, would be a better option in most cases...

9. AG42

AG42

Mar 29, 2010
    England, UK
    I use Hipshot A-style bridges and have one one my 5 string Mikro... Not cheap but I think it's worth it, I have them on my J&D 28 inch J basses and were a direct bolt in on those. I had to drill the 5-string to fit it, but it does offer string thru so might give access to longer strings...

10. Greenstreet

Greenstreet

Aug 31, 2017
    You want an Ibanez B100 bridge. It's a drop-in replacement for the stock B10 bridge.

11. Greenstreet

Greenstreet

Aug 31, 2017
    The thin finish on the Walnut Flat was perfect for what I was looking for... I was able to strip it in record time.

12. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Thanks @Greenstreet ! :thumbsup:

13. Greywoulf

Greywoulf Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    Squier is doing it now (and very well by most accounts) with slightly less expensive versions of the Fender Jaguar and Mustang. I have the new Squier CV60's Mustang myself and it's a short scale beauty IMO. Nicely finished and well put together with good electronics and special small pickups, it's generally slightly heavier than the Mikro (but not by much) and has a slab body which you either like or don't. Personally I find it just as easy to play as my Mikro...
    It's also got interesting and different electronics with very small vintage Mustang style pickups. It's probably not for everyone, but at $399-$429 it's priced right in that low middle spot that's more expensive than the Mikro or Bronco but less expensive than the $500+ upper middle class basses. And I'm very much enjoying my Squier Mustang's tone just as it is, no mods required AFAIC. :cool:
    Enjoy,
    Greywoulf

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  14. Wish I had seen this months ago! Took a look at it on Sweetwater. What strings do you have on it? How’s the neck feel?

RodRy, deepender and MovinTarget like this.
  15. Greywoulf

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    The new Squier CV 60's Mustang's (I'll call it the 'CV' for short) neck feels identical in size to the Mikro, perhaps a bit sturdier feeling. It's also slicker and faster than my Mikro's neck which feels a bit 'sticky' to me in comparison. My particular CV weighs 1+1/2 lbs more than the Mikro, but they all vary in weight too. Amazingly the CV's neck dive feels less to me than the Mikro's, and I suspect this may be because of the different body design (slab) and the slightly heavier body weight of the CV.
    I still have the stock Fender round wounds on it. These are medium 32" scale as the bridge is thru-body design only so the strings need to be slightly longer than short scale. I love the tones available from this bass; at one end of the tone knob it's almost like a P-bass, and at the other end there's an almost DB woody type sound.
    Some reviewers have said they'd like more volume, more presence from the CV, but I don't see it; I find it's available tones and sounds fit the bill for me just right. But y'know, YMMV..
    My next moves with it will be to change the tuners to Hipshot Ultralights as I'd like to get this bass as light as I can, but also just for the fun of it as they're something I always wanted to try.
    Also will switch strings to LaBella MUS flatwounds soon which are specially made by LaBella for thru-body strung Mustangs. The current rounds don't really sound all that bad to me but I dislike the way round wounds feel on my fingers. (Also am hoping the flats will increase that neat 'woody' DB tone?!)
    So that's it... That's my take (so far?) on the Squier/Fender CV60's Mustang. I still like my Mikro, but this CV Mustang bass definitely has the potential to replace it in my rack! I think it may be one of the coolest short scale basses around now in it's price range, while it's quality comes close to that of a full fledged Fender. But of course as usual YMMV; it all depends what you're looking for, what you like.....
    Enjoy,
    Greywoulf

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    rutabaga bob, micahwc and deepender like this.
  16. BDrums

BDrums

Apr 8, 2017
    Muncie, Indiana
    Greywoulf, If you'd like to "slicken" the feel of your Mikro's neck, try an old/used/worn ScotchBrite pad. You could do it with a new one as well but would probably be "done" in 2 or 3 swipes, as opposed to a well used piece being a lot less aggressive/more forgiving. I've used it on all my bare neck basses and they all feel so much smoother. They're also great rolled up on the edge of rough fret wires, usually in the highest register, that didn't get all the tiny sharp spots smoothed down. for that I roll it up or wrap it around a pencil, then carefully slide it back and forth along the edge of the fretboard to hit all the fret ends from around the 14th fret up on both sides. Again, an old, well used pad is better to help not dig into the edge of the fretboard.
    (I have a pile of used pieces because thats what I used instead of a nail file, and after a month or two, they get too worn down to work on fingernails, but they're perfectly broken in for semi-gentle sanding type stuff.)

17. I checked these out on SweetWater after reading your post. I think the surf green one needs the tort pick guard from the white one.

18. Greywoulf

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    Well like I said, YMMV. For instance I like the plain white pickguard better with the surf green because I feel it shows off the CV Mustang's unusual small 'vintage' pups better than the tort one, where IMO they tend to hide a bit.

deepender likes this.
  19. Greenstreet

Greenstreet

Aug 31, 2017
    My Jaguar SS was stolen, but if I could find another one at a reasonable price, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    MovinTarget, deepender and BDrums like this.
  20. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    The closest I'd go near any Fenderish style bass would be if Sterling by Music Man made their 30" short scale MM bass left handed.

I would pay $800 for a Premium Mikro in a heartbeat. You KNOW Ibanez is going to do it right.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    RodRy, MovinTarget and deepender like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021