"Official" Mikro Bass Club Part 3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. WestyBassBob

WestyBassBob Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2020
    You have more than one right? So why not start with a PUP and pot upgrade and go from there? I think it’s pretty clear Ibanez isn’t going to do it. And you KNOW you’re going to do it right. :smug:

2. WestyBassBob

Mar 2, 2020
    It really irks me how all the Fender basses come with those glossy necks. Ugh. So sticky and gross. A guitar neck should feel like a gymnastics bar. Not a piece of furniture. One of the reasons I bought my SS Ray was because it comes with the satin finish like the Mikro. In both examples the neck is smooth and dry to the touch. :thumbsup:

3. Greywoulf

Greywoulf Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    Not so sure anymore re that last statement. My Mikro (which I still like and play) has a catch in the J pup volume ctrl, and I've already had to replace the cable socket. Plus AFAIC it's sound does not compare to what I can get out of my Mustang.
    Also if you were expecting a Sterling short scale MM to be perhaps something like a Mikro in size and weight you'd probably be disappointed. I had one for a while... Very nice tones, but it's neck was a bit thick and geez was the thing ~heavy for a short scale! Nine+ lbs at least and most all that weight was in it's bottom. It was so bottom heavy every time I picked it up to play I'd wince with the jolt I got in my arm and shoulder! It's the bass I returned to GC to get refunded $$ to buy the Squier CV60's Mustang! (And am I glad I did...) :laugh::cool:

RodRy and MovinTarget like this.
  4. Treblefree

Treblefree

Apr 8, 2016
    I agree, the neck on the SBMM is a little thicker, but I still find it playable and fun (especially with the new Zero Mod thumb rest I got off some random dude here ;-).

I'm very surprised by how heavy yours was though. Next to my Mikro, I'm dead certain my SBMM is my next lightest bass. I think is probably just over 7 lbs, but I know it's under 8 for sure. I'll weigh it again soon and let everyone know. I'm not sure if there is a typical weight, but mine is pleasantly light and enjoyable to play.

RodRy and MovinTarget like this.
  5. WestyBassBob

Mar 2, 2020
    I haven’t weighed mine but it’s not a lot heavier than the Mikro. IMO the necks are very similar in profile and overall feel. It was a big part of the reason why went with that over the G&L Fallout which has more of a precision style neck. And is even bigger and heavier.

6. Greywoulf

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    Hey, I'm glad the Zero Mod found a good home!
    I didn't have very good luck at all with the SBMM short scaler... First one I got the boost circuit didn't work so I returned it for another one. When the second one arrived it was in a damaged, filthy dirty box as if it had been laying for months in the dirt floor of a warehouse somewhere. (It was when GC had the white ones on sale...) However if it had been as light as yours I'd definitely have kept it as I did like the tones out of that single humbucker. Heck, my slab-bodied Squier Mustang now weighs 7.4 lbs and that's fine. (Although it will soon be less with new Ultralight tuners installed.) I forget exactly what the SBMM I had weighed, but it was very close to two lbs more than it's replacement Mustang.
    -At least it felt like that.... :eek:
    Enjoy,
    Greywoulf

7. WestyBassBob

Mar 2, 2020
    It seems as though consistency is a problem with that bass. I’m glad to have gotten a good one.

MovinTarget, Treblefree and deepender like this.
  8. skeeler

skeeler I am a stick.

May 30, 2015
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    D15D0FB6-57C5-47B3-9681-CA65B985A9A2.jpeg I though the members of a club devoted to a short-scale Ibanez would be interested to see how the newest Ibanez short-scale compares to a Mikro. At 6 lb, 13 oz, my new EHB1000S is an ounce lighter than my Mikro, and it’s not the lightest example if this model.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    RG55, BDrums, GRS1959 and 10 others like this.
  9. John Stephen

John Stephen Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    Have you had a chance to get to know the EHB yet, and if so, how does its sound compare to the Mikro?

RodRy, MovinTarget and deepender like this.
  10. Dang, I wish those wuz available lefty.

11. Greywoulf

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    That EHB is one nice good looking lightweight bass! The upper body horn looks bigger and wider than the Mikro, but the lower horn and cutaway look almost the same, maybe just a little bit larger. But from the nut to the heel joint the EHB's neck and string spacing look considerably wider than the Mikro's, which would probably give me difficulty adapting to it. -But then I'll bet there's probably no neck dive with it at all!

12. Treblefree

Treblefree

Apr 8, 2016
    Yup, I also bought the G&L Fallout. It is noticeably heavier than both the Mikro and the SBMM, and in fact, I'd say probably heavier than my SDGR 400 full size. I think the G&L neck is similar to the SBMM, both are thicker than the Mikro, but it is still playable for me and fun. I'd say the G&L has the most tonal options, but is the heaviest. I love the SBMM tones also, but it's more in a tighter range than the G&L. My Mikro, I replaced the stock pups with Aguilars and I love the way it sounds; also very versatile and smooth. Next up, I want the Squier Mini P.

13. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Considering it's Active (A/P switch, right?), I would bet it has a lot more tonal options. I wonder what the pup measurements are, in the event one wants to change them....

deepender, RodRy and John Stephen like this.
  14. skeeler

skeeler I am a stick.

May 30, 2015
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Based on this image from Ibanez, it appears that the short-scale EHB uses the same body as the long-scale version, but with the pickups relocated:

feat_EHB_size.jpg

The result is that the upper strap button reaches way out to fret 10, which helps bring the nut closer and reduce reach. The lower cutaway is actually deeper on the EHB, relative to the scale length, since it goes all the way to fret 23 or 24. The nut and neck are slightly wider than the Mikro, but this bass is still very easy to play.

The balance is excellent if I splay standing or seated with a strap. If I play seated without a strap, which I only rarely do, I actually have to gently hold the neck down, which feels a little weird. As I said, using a strap appears to eliminate that problem.

BDrums, deepender, RodRy and 2 others like this.
  15. skeeler

skeeler I am a stick.

May 30, 2015
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Yes, this bass is active or passive (with a tone control on the treble knob), so there a many options for dialing in your tone. I haven't explored the parameter space much yet. Even once I do, I'm not sure comparing it to my Mikro would be that useful to everyone else, since my Mikro has Geezer Butler pickups. Also, my ears aren't that discerning.

deepender, RodRy and MovinTarget like this.
  16. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Thanks for the pic, it looks like:
    - The same pickups are used for both sized versions.
    - If the bridge pups are at different distances, its almost negligible. I can see the neck pup is pushed back to accommodate the neck heel. I guess this means the bridge pup may be slightly beefier sounding on the SS than the full sized... hypothetically...

deepender and RodRy like this.
  17. skeeler

skeeler I am a stick.

May 30, 2015
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Look at the gap between the bridge pickup and the G-string bridge. The bridge pickup on the SS is clearly close, and the difference looks to be proportional to the ~12% difference between 30- and 34-inch scale lengths. It appears that Ibanez was trying to make the SS sound as much like the long-scale as possible.

I think it sounds pretty good, though as I mentioned, I'm perhaps not the most discerning. This bass does sound warmer/darker than all my long-scale basses (which all have Big Singles or Big Splits on them [even the SRSC805 Cerro]), which isn't surprising. I think it sounds more like my BTB33 with Bartolini Classic Bass humbuckers, which isn't surprising either.

MovinTarget, deepender and RodRy like this.
  18. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    MS Paint powers..... ACTIVATE!!!

upload_2021-6-23_12-57-14.png

Yeah, NOW I can see the shift is there on the bridge, not as pronounced but definitely shifted back a smidge...

WestyBassBob, deepender and skeeler like this.
  19. Looks nice...but it’s a grand; the Mikro is under 200.

20. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    7FDB695E-CA56-4167-AE32-97447BD0BF39.jpeg
    Pearl is ready to go.
    Only using the tuner and abut of dirt from the VMT. Just too lazy to take them off the board.

RG55, Treblefree, Greenstreet and 6 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021