"Official" Mikro Bass Club Part 3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Buster53

Buster53 Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2021
    That’s the Hipshot 4 Kickass bridge.

2. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    Nice.

Buster53 and MovinTarget like this.
  3. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Dunno why so many of us have come across this issue on Mikros but it at least feels like its one of the most common issues with it.

Maybe its just because the cavity really is that small...

Regardless, glad it worked out!

Greenstreet and deepender like this.
  4. Hi folks, new short scale convert here, can I join the club?
    I just got back playing during lockdown after a 35 year break and found I was struggling with left hand stretches on my P bass.
    I started investigating short scale basses and got some great information & advice here on Talkbass.
    I was lucky enough to find this pristine Mikro locally for €100 and couldn't be happier. I love the walnut flat finish and my aged fingers are no longer fighting with the fretboard.
    My only issue is the noise from the bridge pickup but this seems a common problem so I'll try some proper shielding in the control cavity and
    see if that improves things.
    I have some LaBella flats on the way but even with the fender round-wounds that came with it I can't believe how good this bass sounds for so little money.

Attached Files:

5. Buster53

Buster53 Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2021
    I just joined the Mikro fan club a couple months ago and found the same noise issue. Mine was only evident when the tone pot was turned up. Shielding the control cavity solved my issue so good luck with that! Welcome to the club.

6. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    Having trouble hearing pickup hum, noise over the tinnitus.

7. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    So, are you saying that, in this case, tinnitus is a blessing?

Greenstreet and MovinTarget like this.
  8. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    could be perceived that way ha

9. Greenstreet

Greenstreet

Aug 31, 2017
    Yup. That makes you #226. Welcome!

10. Greywoulf

Greywoulf Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    Well, at least the bees are not endangered in my head.... :confused:

11. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    For the longest time, mine was a kind of an old tv whine (if you’re not old, you just don’t know). Then the cicadas started up. They compete with crickets for air time.

Greenstreet and MovinTarget like this.
  12. Greywoulf

Greywoulf Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    Sometimes in the morning when the bees haven't awakened yet the intermittent thuds of dropped boxes will send out the call for them. -I appreciate the variety....

13. My tinnitus is really only a problem when it gets quiet. Ambient noise generally covers it, but when I lay down to sleep is when it becomes prominent. :thumbsdown: :meh:

14. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    We sleep with fans going to cover up the tinnitus we both suffer from.

15. As a native Texan, my wife gets super mad at me about the whole fan thing. Yankees, what can you do? :roflmao:

16. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    Yes, I remember those days.
    At this point, nothing overcomes the ringing.

17. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I've had tinnitis (real or false) since I was a kid... probably one of the reasons I love the low end...

18. Florijan

Florijan

Mar 29, 2018
    Hi!

Just got my Micro today! I owned 10ish basses over the years, some interesting ones have been a Status Graphite Smartbass, G&L SB2, 80's Ibanez SR800 (PJ, Japanese), and lots of cheap ones. Currently I keep Hofner Club Ignition (with Pyramid flats), G&L Kiloton Tribute converted to fretless. I wanted a light PJ for my rock band and back problems. Got a Mikro.

And it's sensational! 3kg, some setup required, had to glue the metal part of the knob to the plastic one, but fretwork is great, cavity isolated, no noise, tuners perfectly fine, and a pure joy to play! Have to cut the nut a bit deeper to get ideal action for me, but bridge and saddles are all perfecectly fine and could set them up as desired. Impressed!

As for the tone... It's good. It's just good. I like it. However, a tad muddy and a bit lacking in upper end (well, I might be a bit too used to SB2 sparkling high end). Still, I would like a bit more definition. I'm thinking about Fender Yosemite P/J Pickup Set. Any thoughts?

Best,
    Florijan

Treblefree, deepender, Xad and 4 others like this.
  19. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    The P should fit easy, there have been differing reports about the J being a snug fit. You may have to be prepared to either file the cavity or the pickup cover for it to fit.

Also, pics or did happen! ;)

20. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    False tinnitus?!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2021