"Official" Mikro Bass Club Part 3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    Regular J pups usually are just a fuzz too big for the cutout on the Mikro.

Treblefree likes this.
  2. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I'm not finding a ton of info online right now, but there are some studies where people not diagnosed with Tinnitus experience something similar when it's dead quiet:
    Silence May Lead To Phantom Noises Misinterpreted As Tinnitus

In my case, I was born with a hearing loss, ironically its all the mid-high range hearing in both ears (Fourier analysis just shelves past the midpoint of the spectrum), but I still "hear" the high pitched tinnitus day and night even when I can't hear high pitches when they test my hearing.

Even now, while I have The Fixx's "Reach the Beach" going on my earbuds, if I pay attention I hear the high pitched drone under the music.

deepender likes this.
  3. Stuey3D

Stuey3D

Nov 23, 2021
  4. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    MovinTarget, Greenstreet and Stuey3D like this.
  5. Greenstreet

Greenstreet

Aug 31, 2017
    deepender, Stuey3D and MovinTarget like this.
  6. Stuey3D

Stuey3D

Nov 23, 2021
    426F853E-4FE0-4BC6-8F7E-9A6B12C6D073.jpeg
    And she is complete!

The witch hats look much better than I expected, well happy with my baby now.

7. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    Marvel-ous.

8. Stuey3D

Stuey3D

Nov 23, 2021
    I see what you did there lol.

9. Stuey3D

Stuey3D

Nov 23, 2021
    Well the child has proper roasted my baby, she says the witch hats don’t look right and they need to be on a plastic guitar (fender scratch plate style she means) I personally like them I think they give the bass a bit of a vintage look. I think if she was any other colour other than natural finish walnut flat the child would be right.

I like them because they are a bit different to the standard metal domes you see on pretty much every bass nowadays, and gives my baby a little bit of unique character.

MovinTarget and deepender like this.
  10. Stealth57

Stealth57

Aug 28, 2020
    NorCal
    If the color works, I always go with the Fender Bakelite skirted knobs. No numbers, just a dot and line. I don't have a picture of my black Mikro, but...

D631D07A-DA2D-4F84-BD70-66ADEEC38134.jpeg

11. Stuey3D

Stuey3D

Nov 23, 2021
    They look decent on that bass, really suit it. I do think the knobs need to be chosen for the specific bass though because the wrong knob could really ruin the look. So my numbered Bakelite knobs probably wouldn’t suit yours.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  12. Stuey3D

Stuey3D

Nov 23, 2021
    I took a risk with the witch hats as I wasn’t sure they would go, however I desperately wanted numbered knobs rather than plain ones and the EMG solid shaft pots really limited my choices and my attempt to mod some Les Paul style speed knobs went disastrously.

That being said I am really pleased with the look and feel of the witch hats, which is good because the cheap Chinese set screw in the tone knob chipped off as i was tightening it and now I cannot get a screwdriver to undo it again. They are flat head screws and one side of the head snapped as I was tightening it, so now nothing for the screwdriver to grip onto. I guess in future I could just try and drill out the set screw or try and break off the knob seeing as its only plastic it may be easier than a metal one. However that is a bridge I will cross if I ever get to it as right now I am over the moon with how she looks feels plays and sounds.

13. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    i like to use knobs from other ibanez soundgear models for a cohesive look

14. Stuey3D

Stuey3D

Nov 23, 2021
    I now have a dilemma I was wondering if any of you could help me with.

I’ve managed to source a brand new neck for my broken GSRM20 and I also have a full spare EMG Geezer P so my plan is to rebuild my baby as a lower tuning bass just without the Jazz pick-up connected for now.

My dilemma is my original plan for my Xmas money was to try and get a GSRM25 5 string so that I can play all the Nu-Metal stuff I have on Rocksmith so I could try and source a 5 string set and string the bass for BEAD which would be the preferred choice as Rocksmith doesn’t officially support 5 string basses anyway so all the songs will be tabbed for BEAD anyway. However due to being a super short scale I have been reading conflicting posts regarding BEAD in a short scale with people absolutely loving the GSRM25 and saying the B string is actually quite useable, and others saying low B on anything less than 34 would by flappy and unusable.

My other option is I still have my neck breaking Labella Jamerson flats which I could use again just at a lower tuning but obviously not BEAD maybe CGCF or DGCF which would also cover a lot of stuff such as Machine Head, System of a Down etc this would be my cheapest option as I would already have all the parts I need, but then again if I can get her setup for BEAD I can up the tuning for C and down the tuning of my E standard for D as I have done frequently with my 2 long scale P clones (I have one EADG and another BEAD)

So has anyone here got a GSRM25 and how good is the B string on it, I have seen some flats in a 5 string short scale set from Labella or Dunlop and hopefully these will fit, Labella I’m sure will as the Jamersons do but the Dunlops I’m not sure about. Flats should also give me more tension at that lower tuning too.

What would you guys do?

TLDR

Snapped a truss rod on my Mikro replaced it for a full new Mikro setup for EADG, now managed to find a replacement neck for old Mikro so do I set it up as CGCF/DGCF or BEAD?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021 at 2:46 AM
    Telanoc, MovinTarget and deepender like this.
  15. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    You probably won’t like my suggestion, but anyway…
    Before doing anything, I’d try hard to find a 5 string Mikro I could get my hands on to see if I even like the feel, sound and play. Then all other decisions would be based from that.
    • Perhaps you like the 5 string enough to want that instead of the alternate tuning of the existing bass. If so, you put the current bass back together as a standard and trade or sell to get the fiver.
    • If you still want to go with alternate tuning, since an alternate will involve opening the nut slots, I’d go with the smallest set of strings first, which would allow you to move up in size if you desire with a few more strokes of the nut file. If you go biggest first and don’t like it, you’ll be replacing the nut or trying to refill the hole with super glue and baking soda.
    • After a good test run of a set of strings (read: play em till they’re about dead) and you want to move up in size, go ahead with the next size up. That will still allow you one more experiment before needing to refill or replace the nut.
    Well, that’s how I’d go with it.

Telanoc and MovinTarget like this.
  16. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    If play with your tone reasonably bright, I think you'll be fine with the Mikro 5er. You will lose a lot of clarity if you roll off the tone too much. Also, it will help if you are playing with pick (dunno if you are).

Telanoc likes this.
  17. Stuey3D

Stuey3D

Nov 23, 2021
    I’ve tried a 5 string before it was a cheap Thomann Stingray clone, didn’t really like that much as I found the neck too big to be comfortable for a noob like me. I then got a cheap P bass clone which I string for BEAD and found that so much more playable.

So far I think I’m leaning more to setting the old 4 string Mikro up with the Jamersons I have sitting spare but rather than tune to EADG which is what broke the neck I may set it up for DGCF or CGCF and use that for all the funny tunings in between. I guess if I did it that way I would save wear and tear on the Chromes I have currently when I change between E standard and Db Ab Db Gb for Linkin Park, or DGCF for Death etc, now the chromes can handle lower tunings quite well but I would rather keep them on the decent bass in decent condition and use the old Mikro as a sorta frankenbass which I’m not fussed about changing tunings on etc.

With regards to selling and getting a 5 string the body is too dinged up from my mistakes when upgrading and I wouldn’t feel comfortable selling it.

That being said the Jamersons may actually get down to BEAD anyway as I have managed to get Ab tuning out of the Chromes albeit very floppy and barely playable but enough for Rocksmith to register my playing, and they actually felt playable at BEAD so the heavier Jamersons might be better.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021 at 5:59 AM
    deepender, Telanoc and MovinTarget like this.
  18. Stuey3D

Stuey3D

Nov 23, 2021
    I really struggle with a pick, having to force myself to use a pick now though as I sliced my plucking finger open at the weekend and its a bit painful.

deepender and MovinTarget like this.
  19. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Not liking post because of the the finger-slicing.. ouch!

deepender, Telanoc and Stuey3D like this.
  20. Stuey3D

Stuey3D

Nov 23, 2021
    Yeah it was a very painful to begin with luckily its starting to dull now and was able to play a bit of finger style last night, and even with a dodgy finger I still played better than with a pick.

However both my index fingers are knackered at the moment, plucking hand because I sliced it open trying to remove a sticky hook off the wall, and fretting hand has a couple of cuts near the knuckle when I struggled with modding some knobs to fit the EMG solid shafts pots which then got stuck and needed to be forced off.

deepender likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2021