1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Official Musicman Caprice/Cutlass Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Jan 6, 2018.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I know there's a mega thread, but I thought I'd start a club for those of us who admire the hell out of Musicman's newest basses, and IMO the best bass I've ever laid my hands on.

I'll go first, of course:

#1 Fourstringdrums
    #2 Edgetone
    #3 Lowdownthump
    #4 Pickles
    #5 TemplesOfSyrinx
    #6 Steven Braver
    #7 Steve59
    #8 Discount Saint
    #9 Bovinehost
    #10 Outoftune
    #11 Taylor16
    #12 Sir Nose
    #13 Leamday
    #14 Maplenecked
    #15 PaddyMcBass
    #16 Eneade
    #17 Dcgoodwin2112
    #18 Duderus

I got this beauty about a month ago. I strung it with TI flats and installed a bassmute.

caprice2.PNG caprice4.PNG caprice5.PNG
    20171230_172252a.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Yammybass, duderus, djaxup and 8 others like this.
  2. Nice. My gear is currently in storage while we renovate our new house, so I'll re-post a shot from the summer of 2017.

Got my Caprice via reverb.com after trying the burst version from a local store. Swapped out the pickguard for a pearl guard. Turns out the original guard on my bass was actually mint instead of white. So Music Man sent me a replacement. Now I have three pickguards for it.

Caprice. 20170815_185133.

Stroope74, djaxup, brocco and 7 others like this.
  3. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    #3 for me !! Not sure if pics are necessary . Mine is just like this. I’ll post my pics when my custom pickguard comes in. I like the stock Slinky's on it. Absolutely my favorite bass of all time.!
    487996_main_l_201611141331.

djaxup, maplenecked, petch and 6 others like this.
  4. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Gorgeous! I love that combo. You're #2.

Edgetone likes this.
  5. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Yup you're #3 :) What PG did you get for it?

6. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I’m not telling..... only showing. :cool::smug:

fourstringdrums likes this.
  7. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    38628EAF-A62A-4469-B93C-730D5BE347F4. I pre-ordered after being thoroughly smitten at NAMM. Got a second and swapped necks. Blue/rosewood sadly burned in the thomas fire but I grabbed black/maple as I ran out the door (it’s *the one*). Absolutely amazing and unique bass. There’s something about the percussive growly attack that’s all EBMM, but its also a *great* p-bass.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  8. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    So sorry to hear about your loss. Hopefully you're recovering from it alright.

Yes it's a fantastic P-bass, which is why I got it. I've wanted a Musicman P for about 10 years now. But it also has lots of growl and tremendous versatility with the bridge pickup.

You're #4 btw.

pickles likes this.
  9. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    It’ll be interesting to see if we find some cutlass people. Caprice seems to get all the love. The lower output P pickup sounds clear and matches the J perfectly. The cutlass sounds like it has a louder/darker p-pickup (i have not tried one other than a casual NAMM jam).

lowdownthump and fourstringdrums like this.
  10. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I'm not a fan of the looks of the Cutlass. To me, with the pickguard shape, it looks unfinished.

11. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Different strokes on looks. I have had a lot of great experiences with hot wound Ps with B necks in modern rock bands.

lowdownthump and fourstringdrums like this.
  12. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I like the Cutlass looks , but found the output too hot for my playing style. I like the more rounded , smooth tone of the Caprice .

The Cutlass immediately reminded me of a Yamaha bb424x or a what I would expect a Stingray to sound like with a P pickup in the sweet spot.

The Caprice is more like The Old Smoothie with P pickup in the sweet spot.

If I were playing more rock and heavy music I’d go Cutlass every time . Since I’m all about the funk, Jazz, neo Soul , worship, r&b, I chose Caprice.

13. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The caprice can rock too! I put my smoothie set for light compression with a net boost before my b3k so I can get more gain and its as big and awesome of a distortion sound as I’ve ever heard. The caprice just has that perfect balance of clarity and attitude, so it sounds great on everything.

fourstringdrums and lowdownthump like this.
  14. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Agreed!!

15. leamdav

leamdav Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Bettendorf, IA
    I just traded for a Caprice and will report back shortly. I am pretty excited and have been GASing hard for one for a while. This bass should end my need for basses...for a while.

16. 20171109_104325.
    I was in search of another P Bass with roundwounds for live performances. I have a '57 reissue P bass strung with La Bella flats that I love to record with. It is one of my favorite bass guitars I have ever owned. Ernie Ball nailed it with this one.

coyoteboy, djaxup, brocco and 7 others like this.
  17. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Gorgeous. You're #5.

TemplesOfSyrinx likes this.
  18. Steve59

Steve59

Mar 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    30437754-27D7-4B53-89B1-0BC66F4DDB52. I like this bass. Sits well in the live mix. Fun too play. Forgot to request a number. I’ll take #7 if that’s ok?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    djaxup, pickles and lowdownthump like this.
  19. Steven Braver

Steven Braver Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2017
    A276C55E-7FA2-4CC0-850C-F17670919466. Can this “The Prisoner” fan be #6? Always wanted to be #6

20. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    You got it.