1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Nordstrand Acinonyx Cat bass club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by atrapp, Aug 17, 2020.

1. atrapp

atrapp Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Portland, OR
    It only seems fitting that there is a thread for these awesome basses!
    Mine arrived yesterday, what a cool design, the short scale will take some getting used to.
    This one weighs in at 6 lbs 9 oz and boy it feels tiny compared to my other basses.

IMG_20200817_124731.jpg IMG_20200817_124735.jpg IMG_20200817_125736.jpg IMG_20200817_125727.jpg IMG_20200817_125746.jpg

DaveTomasi, neo 7, RodRy and 11 others like this.
  2. Gnarly! Are those...switches on the left side of the body? I thought they were thumb-bars at first glance.

RodRy and atrapp like this.
  3. atrapp

atrapp Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Yes they are tone and balance control
    The neck end is balance control, from top to bottom - both, neck, bridge and off.
    The bridge end is tone control, as above - flat, mild high roll off, deeper high roll off and mid scoop.
    All buttons in switches the pups to series mode.

4. EKinPNW

EKinPNW

Feb 27, 2007
    Portland, OR
    A bit of a coincidence, mine showed up yesterday too, and I’m also in Portland. I was pleasantly surprised by the tone, I was expecting it to sound good, but it actually sounds great! Here are Syd and Rosie hanging with the new cat on the block.

5. EKinPNW

EKinPNW

Feb 27, 2007
    Portland, OR
    unnamed.jpg

6. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I’m in. Yeah mines light and small too. Easy to play and just sounds killer on all settings

F3D62807-966E-47BF-9B34-43E549478ED4.jpeg AADEBC5C-5DBC-48E0-921F-F6DF259DF885.jpeg 7E943FF1-90B3-4AD7-BC82-9621B875E3F6.jpeg EF75838B-1C1A-4C17-BC29-96F860F4F7E1.jpeg

DaveTomasi, neo 7, RodRy and 3 others like this.
  7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    RodRy likes this.
  8. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    Does anyone know the bridge string spacing? I know these are more on the narrow side.

Edit: I should read things first. Nordstrand website says its 17mm.

9. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Blend-o-matic switching!

Riis

10. atrapp

atrapp Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Portland, OR
    I had the Tapewounds sent to Mo at Nordstrand for proper setup and nut slotting, so no experience with round wounds one this.

RodRy and jd56hawk like this.
  11. Thoughts on the nut width? I love a lot of the features this bass has but I'm used to wider nuts, 1.4 inch seems real small

12. redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Plays great, I'm 6'4" with basketball palming hands. If you play shortscales it's a breeze. If you don't just take a couple of minutes and it just falls into place

RodRy, mmbass21 and atrapp like this.
  13. These are gorgeous basses - love the vibe, just not sure I can justify a third new shortie in 6 months! Very tempted, though.

Are these slab bodies?

14. redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I got two shortys in two weeks, YOU CAN DO IT!

Yes they are but with rolled edges, super comfortable body

RodRy, atrapp and Hank Scorpio like this.
  15. Thanks for the info!

Haha, if we were gigging at the rate we hoped to this year, I could maybe justify it. With none on the horizon, it's a bit tougher (at least until I sell off some gear). Might have to wait until the second batch hit the UK.

16. redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I was lucky and had the funds before all this hit. It's wife approved as well, again I'm lucky

RodRy, atrapp and Hank Scorpio like this.
  17. Kevdel

Kevdel Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Maryland
    Not sure if it’s ok to post this here, but I just received my Acinonyx and took the D’Addario round wound strings off of it. They have absolutely no play time as I took them off as soon as I received it. If anyone is interested in an extra set of strings, PM me.

RodRy likes this.
  18. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - The Final Frontier.. Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    I've 'unboxed' a few basses in my time but I have to say there was a fair bit of anticipation when my box arrived complete with an 'Unleash The Cat' sticker. Inside was a Sea-Foam Green, Acinonyx (ah-SIN-uh-nix)Bass, nicely packed and enclosed in a Gator gig-bag - custom Acinonyx gig bags should be available later this year.

First impressions of the bass are very good: this is an extremely well made and well set-up bass. The sort of issues you might expect on a US designed, Indonesian-made bass; rough fret edges, untidy wiring, poor set-up, are not found on this bass! The bass feels great and of course the 30.8" scale immediately has you flying all over the neck with ease!

The tuning machine/ headstock layout of 1:3 might give some folks some pause thought (it did for me!), but it addresses issues that the 60s bass this is based on, the Goya Panther, had. IMHO it add to the 'vibe' of the bass and looks cool (I've always been a fan of reverse headstocks!). Tuning on the Cat/Acinonyx is precise and easy.

Sound-wise there's something for everyone here. Circuit is very quiet and hum-free. With button selectors for p-ups and tone selection is precise and easy to get on top of. It may also be a little 'quirky' for some, but is completely appropriate for this bass's personality! There a some good clips available if you search on YouTube. Here's one for starters:

Weight-wise the bass feels light (but solid). The advertised weight is 6lbs, so ideal for a smaller bassist or anyone with back-issues and the like. (This one was purchased with my 13 y.o. son in mind but I think I'll be keeping it!)

The only two constructive comments I have for the bass are cosmetic: the custom-made Hipshot bridge has a brushed/cast type finish. IMHO this would be nicer in polished chrome - of course that would increase the price point. Also the 'chicken knob' for the volume pot is quite 'plasticky'; again a price point issue, but it doesn't match the solid, quality feel of the rest of the switching. I'll be 'upgrading' the knob in the not too distant.

In summary, a really great bass at a great price - first batch pricing was $799.

If you've been thinking about buying this bass but haven't yet 'pushed the button' (pun-intended) I'd recommend you get an order in for the next production run. (I say that, as at this time I think there are only a very few of the current run available - and limited colors.)

upload_2020-8-20_8-33-48.jpeg

Underneath the pickguard: tidy wiring, chambering and closer look at the custom Hipshot bridge. The wood piece in the 1 o'clock position is the 'NordyMute' which comes with the bass. Switching and P-ups mount to the pickguard.

Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 9.18.17 AM.png

My cat checking out my Cat!

upload_2020-8-20_8-31-58.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    DaveTomasi, Lackey, Hoigle and 7 others like this.
  19. redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I concur with all of this, it's an incredible bass

RodRy likes this.
  20. redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I need to look for my mute...good thing the box is still sitting there

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021