Official Nordstrand Acinonyx Cat bass club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by atrapp, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Gil Smith

Gil Smith

Dec 31, 2020
    I sure hope so, because I just got mine! (#5829)

RodRy and Morrighan like this.
  2. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Awaiting that email :smug:

DaveTomasi and RodRy like this.
  3. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    LowWay, DaveTomasi, Xad and 5 others like this.
  4. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
  5. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Gold Supporting Member

Yes I am a proud "cat" owner. (and ugly too)

FB_IMG_1619053586837.jpg

6. Morrighan

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    A man who knows Mickey Rat is okay in my book!

1bassplayinfool likes this.
  7. 1bassplayinfool

I think we're all Bozos on this bus.

Are you a Bozo or a Bolo on the bus. There were 2 buses on that tour. ;)

8. berman3313

berman3313 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic
    Cat thru a Mesa with Tie Dye Mandala backdrop? Epic!

1bassplayinfool likes this.
  9. Morrighan

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    My mother was a Bozoette in high school

IMG_20190202_092059.jpg

Haroldo and 1bassplayinfool like this.
  10. I'm obsessing about when I'll get my order (#6330), and thus I'm watching this thread for shipping/receiving dates and order numbers, and putting them into a rough little spreadsheet. Given the slight variation of order number:shipping (due to Sonia's excellent explanation), and bearing in mind that only a small fraction of customers posting dates/ordernumbers, it looks as if that shipping statement is for other types of orders that do not require bass setups. I'm not going to post my calculations on when I think mine will get here (I don't want to put pressure on Nordstrand, and my calcs are at best a rough, non-verifiable guess). My guess is that anyone ordering a Cat bass should get used to practicing patience. :) Still much better than the custom hollowbody my son-in-law has been waiting on for over a year.

77stingray and berman3313 like this.
  11. LowWay

LowWay It’s got 4 strings ‘cause they’re bigger! Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2009
    W Mass
    From Adrian yesterday:

Mo is just now on the January basses, so still a few weeks to go for February orders. He's pretty buried in them, but trucking along, as the saying goes!

PockySteve likes this.
  12. I certainly don't know Mo or his workflow, but with the reputation I've heard about for him, he's probably doing something like this list:
    • Check/adjust neck relief (truss rod)
    • Check/adjust bridge and saddles
    • Check/adjust string radius and action
    • Check/adjust pickup heights
    • Check/adjust tuning machine heads
    • Check nut and lube slots
    • Polish frets (check for wear, rough ends, etc., ensure level frets)
    • Condition fretboard (uncoated fretboards)
    • Install new bass strings
    • Intonation digitally calibrated
    • Clean and polish bass
    This kind of stuff for a new bass, and all the QC checks, can easily take over an hour per instrument. Those of us that have experienced "while-u-wait" setups from a local luthier might not be getting all of those services, as different luthiers include different things in a "standard" setup.

So basses are not going to be flying through the shop. I'm also assuming Mo has some other duties that get mingled in as appropriate. I am really hoping every one of those steps is followed (and more if necessary), and I'm more than happy to wait for a highly competent luthier who really knows the model to take the necessary time to get it done right.

mmbass21, Morrighan, B String and 4 others like this.
  13. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    I'm a December order and haven't heard anything. So...

14. 1bassplayinfool

Mo knows... I have a project for him, but I'm going to wait until all you cats and kittens get yours.

Gil Smith and Morrighan like this.
  15. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    As I mentioned a while back, Maurilio works on and makes very high end basses. He tends to care about his work, be it a multi thousand dollar or cheaper bass. Sure, he's a knuckle head, but he cares about his work. (lol) From what I've seen, these basses come out ready to play. Although, things can sometimes change in shipping.

16. SoniaMara

SoniaMara Commercial User

Oct 19, 2016
    Nordstrand Pickups
    Knucklehead...yes. Master craftsman... also yes! #truex2

17. SoniaMara

SoniaMara Commercial User

Oct 19, 2016
    Nordstrand Pickups
    You guys are amazing! Thanks for your patience. Mo may act a fool, but he takes all of this very seriously! We are all over here trying to manage not only the basses, but all of the other work as well. Thanks so much for keeping us busy!!!

18. 1bassplayinfool

@SoniaMara How many of these were on this run? I heard 300...

19. LowerEnds

LowerEnds

May 1, 2014
    My catbass arrived last week, and I enjoy it more every day! Such a fun bass to play, and that tone...

The only thing I don't understand, is how to use the Nordymute. When I put it on, it completely mutes the strings, there is absolutely no tone. I played around with it, shifting it back and forth, tilting it, putting it higher (until if fell off) but I don't manage to create the desired affect. I have roundwounds on it but I don't assume that has anyting to do with it. Am I doing something wrong? What am I missing here?

RodRy, 1bassplayinfool and Morrighan like this.
  20. mmbass21

mmbass21 Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    To me it mutes the cat a little more than a standard scale as I have them for other basses. I think it's due to the shorter scale length. However I put mine right up against the bridge and try to angle it slightly by pushing the G string side into the bridge. I feel you have to use them a little bit to kind of break them in so the slits widen a slightly over time.

Another observation I have with it is to turn your volume up slightly and back off the bass and it'll sound fuller too. When you listen back to a recording of it you'll hear it sounds fantastic, better than live.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021