1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Nordstrand Acinonyx Cat bass club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by atrapp, Aug 17, 2020.

1. That's a beauty. Enjoy!

RodRy and Morrighan like this.
  2. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Absolutely nothing wrong with that!
    :laugh:

Morrighan likes this.
  3. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Sooo pretty!
    How are you liking the tones and feel?
    :D

Morrighan likes this.
  4. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    The first real surprise for me is this is the first bass I've ever played with a useful volume knob. The "off" switch means my volume knob is more than a mute that's either wide open or fully closed. What it means to me is I have extra volume on tap because I've Been There for That. A volume pedal is the only pedal I ever used until <ahem> TB
    and who knows where that volume pedal went. Glad not to be carrying it around, and that' probably explains where it went.

Fit, finish, setup, everything ... this bass is burning what's left of the last of my brain cells :hyper:

Gil Smith, RodRy, PockySteve and 7 others like this.
  5. klaatu

klaatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Southbridge MA
    The Cat is high on my list for my next bass. Just to decide which color. I usually don't like Surf Green but the Cat looks quite good in that color. Actually I like all of the color options. Thinking of ordering soon since I hear that it could take 3 months or so. This is one of the best short scales I've heard. Lots of cool retro vibe.

RodRy, PockySteve, redstrand and 2 others like this.
  6. klaatu

klaatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Southbridge MA
    Looks great in blue!

7. mmbass21

mmbass21 Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    Do it! I was going into a short scale search and had a couple but offloaded the rest because the cat is so good. It covers so much tonal territory and it's fun yet easy to play. You won't regret the purchase.

RodRy, PockySteve, klaatu and 2 others like this.
  8. Morrighan

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Absatively. This bass is an absolute beast, and I am suitably agog.

RodRy, PockySteve, mmbass21 and 2 others like this.
  9. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I'm rather fond of my surf green :D

10. berman3313

berman3313 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic
    And for anyone "on the fence" about this bass (@DaveTomasi avert your eyes) I've noticed the pickups are beautifully voiced and HOT! Not in an annoying way, but remember this bass comes from Nordstrand which makes an incredible array of pickups. So aside from the form factor, great neck shape, impeccable intonation, the output on this bass is - at least to me - is stronger than any other bass I've owned including Lakland, Fender, Sire. THat includes passive and active models.
    Regarding the intonation, I find myself now thinking about the high end of the neck much more because the notes are soooo clean! Next step is to start learning to play (tastefully) up high!

11. redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Yes to the output, the only passive pickup louder is the Dimarzio Relentless

12. mmbass21

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    I can switch to the cat live from any of my active basses and I don't have to touch a thing to do it. It's absolutely perfect.

RodRy, Morrighan and berman3313 like this.
  13. klaatu

klaatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Southbridge MA
    OK, I just ordered the Cat in Surf Green with Parchment pickguard and GHS Precision Flats. Next up is the long wait.

14. mmbass21

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    Completely worth it! You'll love it when you get it.

15. Morrighan

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere

Rad combination and is going to look killer.

Just put mine down for a moment as I'm finding it hard to roll into my daily practice with so many places to explore on this bass. The cat is so enjoyable to play I'm half surprised its legal :woot: What I'm hearing as I (actually) practice finger permutations across the entire fretboard WHY?
    Because It's There :woot:
    is completely even response everywhere I play. Another surprise (for me) is the solo'd bridge pickup is loaded with enough mojo sauce to be its own Cinco de Mayo every day

16. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Ditto!

Morrighan and klaatu like this.
  17. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    My Warwick Corvette $$ is the only louder passive I have. And that thing is a monster.

But I find the tones of the Cat to be very nice indeed!

Yesterday I found my old "rubber" Wedgie pick and played on Ace with it. The tone was divine. I normally use fingers or a Graph-Tech medium pick, but the Wedgie hard rubber pick gave me an amazing sound. Very nice!

PockySteve likes this.
  18. atrapp

atrapp Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Portland, OR
    I dunno, the Zen Blades very hot and even more so the Big BladeMan is really freaking hot, so hot that Stew said that you'd have to buffer it down before a preamp.

RodRy likes this.
  19. Morrighan

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    The fit and finish on this bass is sans reproche. Also, the windings on the ball end of the GHS Balanced Nickels clear the bridge completely.

20210505_110815 (2).jpg

Edit. The setup is amazing. Thank you!

20. redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    the jazz blades of theirs that are in my Paranomral aren't this hot, even the powerblade in my Dad bass isn't . The acinonyx is a level louder

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021