Official Nordstrand Acinonyx Cat bass club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by atrapp, Aug 17, 2020.

1. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Mine is like yours. I have heard that the other ones tend to wear off, but with a recessed groove for the icon, they should not wear off. However, not having enough white paint in the bottom of the slot does make them hard to read.
    :cautious:

2. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Agreed, there is almost always room for improvement.

Contrary to what others have said, the black-sided buttons have a deeper groove for the white color than the other buttons. They are not screen printed, they are color in a groove. They are not in danger of wearing off. They just need better white paint treatment to fill in the grooves. If I figure a good way to enhance the paint in the groove, I'll post it here.
    :)

Ed Melchior, PockySteve and mmbass21 like this.
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Which switched do the newer models come with? It doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me, but the ones pictured here make the symbols much easier to understand. I'm sure I'll get it quickly no matter what - but yeah, I kinda like the indented ones. And I might change my mind about that tomorrow, too :) .

RodRy likes this.
  4. mmbass21

mmbass21 Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    Honestly once you know the pickup switches the tone switches are by ear to me. Just muscle memory for which setting I want for a specific song.

RodRy and Joe Nerve like this.
  5. Gil Smith

Gil Smith

Dec 31, 2020
    I first posted as message #123 but (inexcusably) haven't posted a picture until now...

Attached Files:

RodRy, PockySteve, mmbass21 and 2 others like this.
  6. Xad

Xad

Sep 23, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Lookin’ sharp!

These cats are very special!

RodRy and Gil Smith like this.
  7. DaveSill

DaveSill Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Welcome to the club!

PockySteve likes this.
  8. DaveSill

DaveSill Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Welcome to the club!

PockySteve and Gil Smith like this.
  9. PockySteve

PockySteve Supporting Member

Thank You very much @DaveSill ; Appreciate your hosting the membership #s

RodRy, DaveSill, Gil Smith and 2 others like this.
  10. PockySteve

PockySteve Supporting Member

@RodRy your white paint suggestion would definitely help those that want the symbols to be brighter.
    The current version buttons look to me as being 3D printed, using both black and white nylon. If this is the case, then the white symbols are an integral part of the buttons rather than being painted in. I'm guessing that the white nylon within, and backed by, black nylon is probably what's giving the white symbols a muted or slightly cloudy appearance. Good news is the symbols should never fade or wear off.

Morrighan, RodRy and Gil Smith like this.
  11. Flat Wound Fuzz

Flat Wound Fuzz

Feb 21, 2021
    Sounds like the original buttons and what is advertised on the web site with a picture of the button symbols had very clear stickers on the buttons. Those were the first version. The second version, which we have all been recieving in the last few months, have the newer technology of the symbol actually part of the button. It’s a cool idea to have the white markings within the button itself… it just sounds like the pigment for the white symbology is not bright enough. Maybe they can figure that out in the third generation and maybe those of us who can’t read our current buttons could then purchase the newer better pigmented buttons.

Also… just to clarify. Many on the posters don’t care… they have memorized their buttons. That is fine, but what about when the bass is sold or handed off to another person in the future… they will be clueless. So my point is… the buttons should be clear and understandable… it’s simple. That is what was advertised on the website by pictures of the bass’s buttons and that was what I was expecting. What I have is a very cool idea of having a symbol part of the button itself, which I applaud and think is way better than a sticker… but the pigment needs work. I’m happy to know what I can see on my buttons will not rub off.

12. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    picked mine up yesterday after playing other basses for the past week.
    So light, neck is so comfy, feels like home.

RodRy, berman3313, redstrand and 6 others like this.
  13. SoniaMara

SoniaMara Commercial User

Oct 19, 2016
    Nordstrand Pickups
    I love you guys and your sluthiness! They are 3d printed, but the symbols have a glow in the dark paint. We are going to look into adjusting the contrast on those buttons as per your suggestions!

RodRy, DaveSill, klaatu and 6 others like this.
  14. Xad

Xad

Sep 23, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    I love this bass :hyper: I love every setting. I just do. It's tough, because I kinda want to play everything 16 times, to hear it with every combination of pickups and tone settings. So I have been playing a whole lot (a good thing). And everything sounds great! My only regret is that I don't have two: one with flats and one with rounds. (But, then, if I did have two, I don't know how I'd decide which to play!!)

Just so much fun :bassist:

Really great job, Nordstrand team @SoniaMara! I've had and been playing the Cat for 49 straight days, and the honeymoon isn't even close to over :thumbsup:

DaveSill, Gil Smith, RodRy and 5 others like this.
  15. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Oh [heck] yes I can see one with flats and one with rounds :hyper:

RodRy, berman3313, Xad and 2 others like this.
  16. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    All the better to try different color choices too!
    ;)

17. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Surf green is my first choice for a second cat :p Oly white hmmm Love them all, really. With my Lake Placid Blue, there's no need for a bespoke finish :cool: It feels and sounds so good in hand, two Acinonyx feels perfectly reasonable. :D

RodRy, mmbass21 and PockySteve like this.
  18. SoniaMara

SoniaMara Commercial User

Oct 19, 2016
    Nordstrand Pickups
    Several of our star players have two for that exact reason

RodRy, DaveSill, mmbass21 and 3 others like this.
  19. berman3313

berman3313 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic
    And as if we need another reason for double cats - with one in hand, the waiting anxiety - checking spreadsheets - watching for emails, would be reduced by a factor of half...or would it? Nope, too much FOMO for me. Note to self: better order a second this week!

RodRy, DaveSill and Morrighan like this.
  20. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    If I could play rounds I'd get a second one

RodRy and Morrighan like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021