Official Nordstrand Acinonyx Cat bass club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by atrapp, Aug 17, 2020.

1. DaveSill

DaveSill Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Seriously? Double-u tee eff is censored?

RodRy, mmbass21 and Joe Nerve like this.
  2. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    7SOs appeal to me briefly, but not brightly. The gig I was looking for turns out not to be the one that found me. Pretty much the bass is a major point of de-emphasis as we see everything from Marleaux (plural!) to Squiers recorded on everything from smrtphns on up.

Every bass is sacred.
    Every bass is great.
    If a bass is wasted,
    God gets quite irate.
    That said, my cat gets a lot of attention from the other players. Positive attention :smug:

3. NBD! FedEx made it in the afternoon. The three rips in the corner of the box made me a tad nervous, but the excellent gig bag protected it just fine. I was able to carve out about two hours after supper to get to know the Cat. The neck is the most amazing thing I’ve ever played. Stuff I’ve had difficulty playing for years ('cause I'm old and it hurts) came out like magic. Waaaayyy better than the other short scales I've owned. String spacing seems to fit my fingers perfectly.

I was quite puzzled when I first plugged in and it almost seemed as if the pickups were out of phase. After playing it for about 20 minutes, my ears snapped in to the right place, and I realized I was hearing it through my old pbass "filters" expecting it to sound like a P. Obviously, I was wrong about that. These pups are simply stellar, I just didn't know what I was hearing. Add in that I've never used the stock strings before, and it took me a while to wrap my head around it. I think the strings settled down at about the 1-hour mark (which may have influenced my “out of phase” perception - never heard that again.) But for the very first time, I was able the get the tone down for Bad Religion's Epiphany, something that's eluded me for years. This bass nailed it. Plus it still fits in beautifully with the Prine songs I like.

I am so stoked having four usable tone settings for the first time. With most of my other passives, it always maxed out with two usable settings - muddy and bright, and the tone pot always seemed to have rigid thresholds of tone, with huge variation within 1/16th of a turn. This one actually has gradations, and I just push a button without having to carefully position the tone pot within 1/32". My actives have *too many* options, and dialing in the eq on three bands and having to pay attention to the "flat" detent in the middle of the tone pots just got distracting. I'd rather be playing than fiddling with knobs. This’ll be much easier and more useful in a gig setting when needing a varied tone.

The setup is as near perfect as I can imagine a bass can be. I'm often a tad heavy handed, and I have yet to hear a rattle or a string hitting anything I don't want it to. Action is lower than I ever thought I'd like, and between that and the amazing pups, I can finally feel my touch getting lighter, something I've been working on for years. And it's so consistent in volume, it's almost as if I have a compressor on it. And I can still get dynamics easily. I have yet to find a dead spot (and I was all over that fretboard last night.)

I've had no noise issues and the tuning pegs are evenly spaced with no interference. I still gotta figure out the buttons - I have to try a few times to get them to all go down and stay down. And does anyone know what the “all-in” on the tone buttons gets? To my old ears, it sounds just like the deeper treble rolloff on the third button. I haven’t listened carefully to it yet, that was after a good 30 seconds comparing. I’ve got more listening to do.

I'm having a hard time concentrating on work with that thing sitting in the next room. I might have to take off early today because it's calling me. And I'll have to take off the protective film and polish it a little.

If it’s not too much trouble, I’d like a club number please. This one is a keeper.
    CEF69B37-3EE8-4AD7-A3C7-98F9132D5A05.jpeg 5D6960AE-4C2F-4F8C-A32A-C410C456A06C.jpeg 7D86F871-942D-44B5-8A84-E6601C6EFE6D.jpeg

Attached Files:

berman3313, Robot.G, RodRy and 8 others like this.
  4. DaveSill

DaveSill Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Welcome to the club!

5. klaatu

klaatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Southbridge MA
    Awesome!!!

RodRy, Ed Melchior and Morrighan like this.
  6. I suspect FSO is a "Fender Shaped Object". And I really don't get why double-u tee eff is censored.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Fender shaped object. And just to clear up a couple things:

1. A Fender is MY first choice, and it's not done because it's "expected" of me but they are the only basses I have that sound great on everything, whereas my other basses sound great on some things but not others.

2. Don't know what was wrong with your old Fender, but mine are pretty awesome.

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    @JimmyM As much as I hate saying this...

You shouldn't have come messing around in here.

You're going down MoFo (will that get bleeped :) ? )?

If you know what's good for you, you'll unsubscribe from this thread, right now!

Speaking from experience, lol.

You're going to wind up with one of these.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I should not have looked at the black one, that's for sure! But honestly, Joe Nerve, I just bought a cheapo 5-string bass and a cheapo 6-string banjo, and I seem to have disappeared into the banjo. It's a bottom of the line Dean, and I'm quickly discovering that the differences between cheap and expensive banjos are much more pronounced than cheap and expensive basses. So before I buy any more basses, I think I'll be needing to get my banjo collection a little deeper first.

RodRy, Passinwind, Morrighan and 4 others like this.
  10. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Gold Supporting Member

11755903_1107014429327113_3669130424733306569_n.jpg

:D

RodRy, JimmyM, Morrighan and 2 others like this.
  11. mmbass21

mmbass21 Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    Joe is right this thread will lead down the road to a cat! I took a leap of faith with it being fed up with other short scales falling short (phrasing) in usable versatile tones. Anyone who has played my bass can't put it down and wants one, even the lead guitarist in my band will be buying one next batch for his home studio. I know you have good discipline but this bass will replace half your collection.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    DaveSill, Joe Nerve, RodRy and 4 others like this.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Geez, you guys! Sorry, but I've found a new love and you'll just have to accept her:

Banjo Punk 2.jpg

Joe Nerve, RodRy, Ed Melchior and 5 others like this.
  13. 77stingray

77stingray Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Atlanta
    Skjold Artist
    The Devo hat sold me!

14. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I hear you Jimmy! Used to be I only had a TUNE p/j and a Carvin fretless. It was easy to know what bass to bring to what gig. Now I have too many basses, and a double gig bag, so I have to limit myself to bringing only 2 basses. The Cat is probably going to be one of the basses in heavy rotation.
    :D

JimmyM, mmbass21 and Morrighan like this.
  15. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Joe, maybe you don't need 5 less basses, maybe you just need one more club?
    Bass Hoarding Personality Disorder (BHPD) - You are not alone.
    :laugh:

16. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    This whole post reads like something out of a 70s movie or TV show.
    I wholeheartedly approve!
    :roflmao:

17. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    No worries, there's room in that photo for a new bass too!
    ;)

18. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    What's with the crickets over here?

Anybody switch to rounds lately and decide they're never goin back :) ?

Lakai, Morrighan, RodRy and 1 other person like this.
  19. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Nope, I still have the original rounds on my Ace. I've got two basses with flats, one with black tapes, and one with half-wounds (ground wounds). The other six all have roundwounds on them. I mix and match.
    ;)

Joe Nerve and Morrighan like this.
  20. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    TL;DR Grooving the cat hard on rounds.

[SnoozeAlarm] The flats I find so enjoyable are also very forgiving of technique. So, rounds. Still digging the GHS Balanced Nickels. What I find is the cat will do a whole lot of thump with the NordyMute, deep tone cut, and a bit of attention to my technique :woot:
    There is a not-a-cat-bass semi-hollowbody with Low Tension Flats for when I want/need another 60s vibe. Those strings stay. Oh, and really want a NordyMute for this bass :drool: [/SnoozeAlarm]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    PockySteve, RodRy and Joe Nerve like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021