Official Nordstrand Acinonyx Cat bass club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by atrapp, Aug 17, 2020.

1. mmbass21

mmbass21 Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    It'll be 1000% worth it. I've been getting deeper into the world of short scales and what the Acinonyx can do is second to none. More tonal options than most at a 30" scale and it's simply fun to play.

PockySteve and RodRy like this.
  2. Xad

Xad

Sep 23, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Still liking the Cat with TI flats? I've kept the GHS Balanced Nickels on mine so far, but am starting to feel that ol' TIJF urge coming on...

Dee-man and RodRy like this.
  3. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    It's practically five months to the day since the Cat arrived,

odin-nbd-cap-jpg.jpg

which makes the Balanced Nickels very well broken-in. Five or six months is about the outside for roundwound strings for me. Yet they stay perfectly in tune, and sound solid.

There's a set of Pressurewounds in the string larder I could install on the Cat today. And feel no pull to do that. With a blues homework video due in a week, I don't want to change anything. Neck pickup solo'd, cut or deep cut, maybe the NordyMute
    but yeah sure can use "dead" roundwounds on the Cat for the blues

Were I to change out the Balanced Nickels, La Bella Low Tension Flats all the way. :thumbsup: For now, it's only a question of when I "need" a new set of Balanced Nickels. Not today :)

4. Greg75

Greg75 Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Texas
    I can confirm the LTFs are (still) excellent on the Cat. I'm enjoying my Acinonyx so much that it's now a definite keeper and in pieces, prepped for me to refinish it in nitro lacquer. Should have it done, including a custom PG from Quickguards in the next month or so. Too much fun, really.

lousybassist, PockySteve, Xad and 2 others like this.
  5. LightForce104

LightForce104 Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Hawaii/Washington
    Acinonyx in shell pink is my dream right now...

Dee-man, QRanc, Greg75 and 2 others like this.
  6. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    What color are you planning? I'm looking forward to seeing the completed paint job!
    :D

PockySteve and Greg75 like this.
  7. Greg75

Greg75 Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Texas
    Since I have basses in Sea Foam Green and Sonic Blue (also Firemist Gold and Trans-White), the Surf Green is a bit redundant, though still cool. So, I am painting my Cat in an aged (not relic'd) Inca Silver with matching headstock (neck nitro-tinted) and will be using an old brushed aluminum and black bakelite top-hat knob--like on an old stove or radio--as well as a pickguard made of the material in the attached pic.
    1633200961544.jpg
    The pickguard should be to me in about a month. Also, managed to purchase a new waterslide for the painted headstock from Sonia. Hoping to have the rest ready by the time those show up. Should look cool and still fun, as long as I don't screw up the paint job.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    Greywoulf, QRanc, Datsgor and 5 others like this.
  8. J-Baptiste

J-Baptiste

Jan 24, 2012
    Corsica
    My last video :) Very easy to play all standards with this bass. Its weight is really great that allows me to play for long hours !2,9 kilogrammes = 6,393 lbs

9. Greywoulf

Greywoulf Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    Really nice! Thanks for the demo! And I can see the 'buttons' do not appear to bother you nor get in your way while playing, which were some reports re the Cat that made me a bit perturbed....

Morrighan and RodRy like this.
  10. mixedmeter

mixedmeter

Mar 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    In what ways is it "much better built"? I have a JMJ Mustang and an Acinonyx and the Mustang was definitely better in terms of fit and finish than the Acinonyx: the Nordstrand had a looser and more poorly aligned neck pocket and blemishes on both pickup covers. I like the Acinonyx a lot, but it really comes down to what you're looking for in terms of sound and ergonomics. I'd take the Mustang over the Acinonyx hands down, because it just fits my preferences better on basically every level. Neither bass does a great job at sounding like the other for the sounds I like them for so I'm very happy to play both :)

RodRy likes this.
  11. Stephent28

Stephent28 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2005
    C470, CO

Mine had none of the flaws you described and I have had a MIJ Mustang. I stand by my statement. Sorry your experience wasn't as good.

mmbass21, PockySteve and RodRy like this.
  12. Greywoulf

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    Interesting to see honest reviews and some rare criticism re the Acinonyx. It does not put me off wanting one however, even tho I also have a Mustang (a Squire CV60s) that I too like a lot.
    Actually, reading nothing but constant high praise for a bass is what tends to worry me some... Nothing is ever really that perfect y'know, so it's only natural to begin wondering about folks' objectivity...

RodRy, Morrighan and Gil Smith like this.
  13. J-Baptiste

J-Baptiste

Jan 24, 2012
    Corsica

Thanks for the comment !
    The buttons are placed on the top of body. They do not fit in the bottom of the playing area. In my personal opinion this is a very clever step in such bass design.

RodRy and Morrighan like this.
  14. mixedmeter

mixedmeter

Mar 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    The criticisms I have of my Acinonyx are pretty minor, I just mentioned them because the previous poster had made a general statement about the Nordstrands being better built than Mustangs, which at least in my case was false and I imagine is false on average as well. It's certainly possible that the QC on these Nordstrands is better on average than current production Mustangs, but I'd be surprised if many people, if any, have first hand experience with enough examples of each to know that with any reasonable level of confidence. Some previous posters also had minor issues with their cat basses -- buzzy electronics and some issues with the buttons iirc -- but I imagine it's nothing out of the ordinary for a production model bass like this. I know people also have had issues with incorrectly installed saddles on the JMJ Mustangs. My main point is that if you're choosing between the two you should choose based on what you like in terms of feel and sound. :thumbsup:

15. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    My Cat far exceeds any expectations I may have held for it.

PockySteve, RodRy and Greywoulf like this.
  16. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Very true. It's not a do-everything-well bass, nor one that has no flaws and everyone will love. But it's light weight, interesting looking, easy for me to play, and has a wide range of easy-to-summon tonal choices. I don't use all of them, but what I do like, I like quite a bit.

It's a good bass, well worth it's asking price, and I recommend it among the short scale basses I've tried.

Sound objective enough?
    ;)

PockySteve, mixedmeter and Greywoulf like this.
  17. Greywoulf

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    I think that as a (strongly) prospective buyer the problems I read about that disturbed me the most were several reports on the Cat's tuner paddles overlapping and interfering with each other... That certainly did not jibe with all the other stuff I read about as to how each Cat was so carefully set up before being released to it's new owner! -One would certainly hope that such things were only initial teething problems and are now a thing of the past...

RodRy likes this.
  18. Bonecat

Bonecat Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Michigan
    That will be available.[/QUOTE]
    FWIW, I found that the shielding made an already great sounding bass sound even better. Totally worth the additional cost…

RodRy and PockySteve like this.
  19. mmbass21

mmbass21 Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    My 2 cents on the Acinonyx is that it isn't perfect for everyone. QC is always a tough job but everyone here who had a problem reached out and was taken care of personally by someone at the shop. You simply can't beat customer service like that which to me makes a huge difference when owning an instrument. Outside of that, it has so many usable tones that's it just flat out fun to play.

DaveSill, Holdsg, RodRy and 2 others like this.
  20. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've never had any issues with the buttons either. But everyone has their own technique.

RodRy and mmbass21 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021