Official Nordstrand Acinonyx Cat bass club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by atrapp, Aug 17, 2020.

1. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    FWIW, I found that the shielding made an already great sounding bass sound even better. Totally worth the additional cost…[/QUOTE]

Can you give me some idea of how it changed the sound of the bass? I haven't had any noise issues, but I'm always up for improving the sound.

2. Sproo

Sproo

Apr 29, 2017
    One thing I'm curious about is how noisy does it get in high-gain situations (like in really loud rock bands/distorted)? Relatively quiet and similar to jazz basses with both bridge + neck pu's full on? Problematic/noisy with one pick-up solo'd?

3. mmbass21

mmbass21 Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    Mine is just the standard 60 cycle hum but it's quiter than any other bass I've had over the years. It's on par with my Ibanez that has Nordy big singles. I've played both live and it wasn't obnoxiously loud nor did it make me want to put it down and reach for a quieter bass. My band also practices silently with headphones and no matter what pickup or tone setting I can't hear it in the playback mix. Our BL who mixes every practice has never complained about it and this is the same guy who begged our lead guitarist to get a noise gate on his board.

Sproo and RodRy like this.
  4. Bonecat

Bonecat Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Michigan
    My cat had a pronounced high frequency hiss, not a 60hz hum. Mo had some difficulty duplicating at the shop, but suggested shielding should quiet things down. It did. My cat was virtually silent. It’s admittedly a sample of one, but I noticed a cleaner punch in all of the tone settings, and it seemed to be more articulate overall. Even though I ended up moving on from my cat, I loved the sound and the shielding wasn’t really expensive when one considers the complexity of the body routing. YMMV, but I thought it made a useful difference…

Sproo, PockySteve, Xad and 1 other person like this.
  5. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Reposting here for anyone who's interested:

For those who have either instrument, the Nordy Mute sized for an Acinonyx bass also fits a Rob Allen Mouse bridge. So I have two instruments for the same mute!

Carry on, cats!

Dee-man and Xad like this.
  6. Greywoulf

Greywoulf Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    Did you pay extra to get your Cat especially shielded or is this a good report on a stock one?

RodRy likes this.
  7. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    A bit of time to confirm where I customarily pluck, and the buttons aren't in my way either.

no money above the 5th fret blues.png

RodRy likes this.
  8. mmbass21

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    No extra shielding for mine, just a good report in a stock one :thumbsup:

RodRy and Greywoulf like this.
  9. PockySteve

PockySteve Supporting Member

My bass has a ground hum only apparent at high volumes. There is a fair amount of hum when flat tone switch depressed and both pickups or either pickup selected. Touching strings quiets it; touching pickup selector switch mounting screws makes it louder. There is a Large amount of hum when flat tone switch depressed and all pickup switches depressed for 'all in' series mode. Touching strings quiets it; touching pickup selector switch mounting screws makes it louder.
    Nordstrand suggested I start by shielding the pickguard, which most likely will reduce/eliminate the hum. Will be doing that in the next few days.

RodRy, Sproo and Annette like this.
  10. Gil Smith

Gil Smith

Dec 31, 2020
    Mine does the same, so the flat tone is not currently an option I can use, but I love playing this thing.
    It sounds like I should try shielding the pickguard to see if I can get that option back.
    Actually, I guess I should wait and see if this takes care of things for you, PockySteve. Will you please let us know if it works for you?

RodRy, PockySteve and Annette like this.
  11. Annette

Annette

Apr 18, 2018
    Vancouver Island
    I'm right there with you. Have been wanting to shield to get rid of the very audible noise. When I have the flat tone setting, I just keep my hands on the strings to keep it at bay. Can't wait to get motivated to use my little spare time to shield it, knowing how folks do it successfully. :)

RodRy and PockySteve like this.
  12. PockySteve

PockySteve Supporting Member

Will do! I'll post details and some pics. Hoping just doing the pickguard solves the issue. Otherwise will copper tape the whole thing. Will let everyone know how it turns out.

RodRy, LowWay, Annette and 2 others like this.
  13. DaveSill

DaveSill Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2012

RodRy, Xad, PockySteve and 1 other person like this.
  14. Greywoulf

Greywoulf Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    Hmmmmm... This is not looking too good to me. -Paying more for getting less, while maybe having to wait many many months 'cause of pandemic-caused shipping problems? Hmmmmm... Maybe I sh just save my $$ and be satisfied with, and grateful for, the basses I already have and really enjoy?

15. DaveSill

DaveSill Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2012
    The first batch was the cheapest (introductory price) and included the NordyMute as a bonus.
    The second batch didn't include the NordyMute unless you used the TalkBass discount code.
    Pandemic delays are universal. There's nothing anyone can do about that.
    Only you can decide what you're comfortable paying for a cat bass.

RodRy, mmbass21, Holdsg and 1 other person like this.
  16. mmbass21

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    I'd still buy one at that price. That's a personal choice and I can understand the hesitancy. Keep in mind these basses come from overseas in a container and the cost for that is just astronomical today compared to the first 2 batches.

I also still appreciate that they'll do a setup albeit no string changes to process orders faster since they're not doing direct shipping from the factory.

RodRy, PockySteve, SoniaMara and 2 others like this.
  17. LightForce104

LightForce104 Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Hawaii/Washington
    I feel that. For really not much more money, I can buy another of the same model as my number one, which was handmade overseas.

RodRy likes this.
  18. SoniaMara

SoniaMara Commercial User

Oct 19, 2016
    Nordstrand Pickups
    Absolutely understand the hesitancy. Here is what we were thinking on our end.

The original price was always introductory. New to overseas manufacturing, plus a quirky design, our goal with this price is to get the Cat into more people's hands. A "gift with purchase" mute sweetens the deal, plus we wanted to reward customers who took a chance on this bass early on. We have never done sales and/or discounts, but decided to try it here to get sales moving. The current price will most likely hold for awhile.

The choice to do the string changes here really delayed the shipments to our customers. We want to get these out to you faster. Having basses shipped to you without any in-house QC and basic set up goes against our DNA. We are adding folks to the QC team so we hope to get through this shipment quicker than the previous batches.

DubHunter, PockySteve, RodRy and 4 others like this.
  19. I was near the end of batch 2, and I paid $939. Going up to $999 is only a $60 increase. Not getting the Nordymute would not make a difference to me, as my luck with it was not stellar (YMMV - I got an extra one for my 19mm basses, and I pretty much never use it. Others love it, but my style favors sustain, and the mute stops sustain. If I want strings to stop vibrating, I want instant control over it, and my muting technique should be able to handle it.)

My Cat bass makes my hands and ears so happy that I think it's well worth the small price increase. I ordered mine in March, got it almost exactly 4 months later (July), and while I would have liked it to be a shorter gap, it worked out great. It not only met my expectations, it exceeded them. It's impossible to explain, but this thing is remarkably different than any other bass I've ever played. The neck is amazingly small, yet extremely stable. The tonal selections are amazing. On my other passive basses, there's often been a "shelf" on the tone pot that makes it difficult to get fine adjustments. The switches for the tone selector give me 4 distinct settings that are ALL usable - and I use all of them for different songs (or moods). That, plus the very easy to use and intuitive pickup selectors make this the most flexible and usable bass I've ever owned (over 30 of them over time). My single gripe about it doesn't materially affect playing. I'm so used to tuning by ear (much quicker than hitting a tuner pedal) that the placement of the neck pickup (only when in neck pup mode) makes ear-based tuning difficult, as the pickup is right under a node and when hitting the the 5th fret harmonic, the string doesn't vibrate there as well. If I use the bridge pickup or both at once, it's just fine. But that is seriously my only issue with this bass. It quickly became my daily driver, and I'm probably gonna get rid of a few in my stable now that I've been playing it for 3 months and can rely on it.

The fit and finish is stellar. Well worth $999.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  20. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    I'm wondering if I want to retire from my day job to go do setups at Nordstrand. it's kinda tempting...kinda.

RodRy, Greg75, PockySteve and 3 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 19, 2021