Official Nordstrand Acinonyx Cat bass club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by atrapp, Aug 17, 2020.

1. SoniaMara

SoniaMara Commercial User

Oct 19, 2016
    Nordstrand Pickups
    You are not that far... lol. How about an evening shift? LOL (in other words, keep your day job!)

RodRy and Holdsg like this.
  2. Xad

Xad

Sep 23, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    I was in batch 2 (ordered Dec 2020, rec'd April 2021), and with shipping it was over $900. For me, money spent with no regret at all. Over the past 6 months this bass has simply taken over. I was not expecting to enjoy it as much as I do. My Birdsongs and my Rob Allen Mouse aren't getting much use at the moment. It's not that i don't love them, I do. I'm just finding the Cat fits so well with what I'm doing, both ergonomically and musically! So much so that I'm seriously thinking about getting a second one, so that I can have one with rounds, and one with flats!

Ed Melchior, RodRy, Holdsg and 2 others like this.
  3. PockySteve

PockySteve Supporting Member

Hoping to shed a little light on the cost increases and wait times.
    My bass was in batch #2, ordered late November 2020 and received mid-April 2021. Original delivery time estimate was late February, early March if I remember correctly. Some key factors in the later than expected delivery were pandemic related factory slowness, longer than normal trans-Pacific shipping times, and major backups offloading cargo at the Port of Los Angeles. The ship with our basses on it sat at anchor for 10-14 days, then it was a couple days sitting in customs. All along the way Nordstrand kept us updated as to what was going on.:bassist::thumbsup:
    Now, in late 2021, the cost of shipping containers from Asia to Port of LAX has roughly tripled, trans-Pacific shipping times are 30-60 days, and container ships are still backed up waiting to dock and be offloaded in LAX (see Port stats updated daily at The Port of Los Angeles: America's Port® | Port of Los Angeles). Prices for raw materials, labor, shipping, etc are up all around the world, unfortunately.
    With that being said, the Acinonyx is a fantastic and fun bass to play. Excellent feel and great array of sounds. Handles like a sports car and seems like a natural extension of my hands/arms. My favorite qualities are the neck, pickups, and tone selection. I tried other short scales > Reverend Wattplower, Fender Mustang, Epiphone Rumblekat, and Sterling/Music Man StingRay. Only the Acinonyx made me say 'Wow!'.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021 at 6:57 PM
    Ed Melchior, Holdsg, RodRy and 2 others like this.
  4. LightForce104

LightForce104 Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Hawaii/Washington
    I think I speak for both myself and @Greywoulf when I say that we understand WHY there are price increases and shipping delays. It makes perfect sense. It just also makes us pause and think if it is really worth it. $1k+ (depending on bag, strings, shipping) is a lot of money to shell out, even though TB makes it seem like no big deal. Add to that a several month shipping delay and you start to get antsy. That's a few months where you neither have your money or the product, with no guarantee of delivery date. I'm sure Nordstrand will deliver a stellar product, and I have no question that these basses are amazing, there are just a few holdups in my mind.

5. Greywoulf

Greywoulf Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    Yes, right on bro... Everything's going UP-UP-UP but my fixed pension and SS! -Shortages are occurring again (toilet paper games again?) and gassing my car is getting to be a bigger pain everyday! So tying up 1K plus for gawd knows how many months now (what with the latest pandemic :poop:) is making me a bit nervous! {-I wish everybody would just get the hell vaccinated so we could trounce this disease that's still screwing things up for everyone!}
    Anyway I've no doubt about the Cat bass's quality, but there are a lot of other troubling factors in my world. And personally I also gotta remember I felt the same way not that long back about the Danelectro Longhorn bass. Everyone, but EVERYONE kept telling me how great it was, and I got myself all gassed up over it. But then when I finally got one it didn't fit me well...:rollno: -I found it's unusual body curves made it difficult for me to play sitting down, and it's wide 1+3/4" nut and razor sharp edged neck and really terrible neck dive didn't work at all for me. Sometimes, just because everybody raves about a certain bass, that doesn't necessarily compute it will be a good fit for you..
    Having said all this, I also gotta say I'm not ready yet to say I won't go for an Acinonyx. I'm just saying I'm getting a bit nervous about it and will have to do some serious thinking on it..

vcs700s, RodRy, Ed Melchior and 3 others like this.
  6. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Absolute truth. I refer to it as the "Ferris Bueller Effect." When the movie came out, my closest friends all saw it before I could. They raved about how fantastic it was, "best movie ever!" "Most fun I've had at a movie!" Things like that. It was so overhyped that when I saw it, my response was, "meh."

Clearly you understand that for a bass to be fantastic, it really means it must be fantastic for you. I like my Ace (what I call it) and believe it was a good deal for the money. I see plenty of other short scale basses out there for over $1000 and figure they may not fit me as well as this one does.

May you have an unexpected windfall which allows you to try one out yourself and decide!
    :laugh:

PockySteve, Xad and mmbass21 like this.
  7. Greg75

Greg75 Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Texas
    I'm enjoying mine well enough to justify paying the new price if I hadn't already gotten it at near the old one. YMMV

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021 at 5:49 PM
    PockySteve and Xad like this.
  8. Gil Smith

Gil Smith

Dec 31, 2020
    It does of course come down to personal preference. All I know is that, for me, my Cat is by far my favorite bass from 40+ years of playing. If something were to happen to it I wouldn't hesitate to try to replace it as soon as possible, and the price increase wouldn't make any difference.

9. LowWay

LowWay It’s got 4 strings ‘cause they’re bigger! Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2009
    W Mass
    My cat is a great bass, and would have been worth it at the new price. I really like it.

PockySteve, Holdsg and Xad like this.
  10. Greywoulf

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    Hey, youse guys are really turning up my gas pipe valve!!! I'm liable to explode with lust and desire here!! ~~Sheeeesh!! :eek:

mmbass21 and RodRy like this.
  11. SoniaMara

Oct 19, 2016
    Nordstrand Pickups
    NA_ad_PresaleAcinonyx.jpg

RodRy, mmbass21, Xad and 3 others like this.
  12. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Excellent!

.... two I don't need right now

only the highest praise for Nordstrand :thumbsup:

RodRy and SoniaMara like this.
  13. LightForce104

Sep 13, 2012
    Hawaii/Washington
    I guess @Greywoulf and I have to make our decision soon…

RodRy and mmbass21 like this.
  14. Greywoulf

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    Too bad I'm not also in beautiful Hawaii or your not in lovely %$*&# New Jersey, 'cause then we could go halves on one and split it... :woot: :rolleyes:

RodRy, PockySteve and Gil Smith like this.
  15. LightForce104

Sep 13, 2012
    Hawaii/Washington
    I’m in Washington now, so that’s marginally better :laugh:

RodRy likes this.
  16. mixedmeter

mixedmeter

Mar 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    @Greywoulf If you want to make the trek into Brooklyn you're welcome to drop by and try mine out sometime. Feel free to PM me if you're interested!

RodRy, Xad, PockySteve and 2 others like this.
  17. SoniaMara

Oct 19, 2016
    Nordstrand Pickups
    RodRy and mmbass21 like this.
  18. Greywoulf

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    Noon in NJ then. So be it... At least I should be up and awake and breakfasted and maybe sufficiently clearheaded by then, right?

RodRy, mmbass21, Gil Smith and 2 others like this.
  19. Greywoulf

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    Much thanks to the good friendly bass players here who've gone out of they're way to offer me an opportunity to try out their Cat basses! (PM's also sent...) My thinking now is to definitely get in the pre-purchase queue to try and get a Cat bass. If I don't like it (which I sincerely doubt) or guiltily feel later that I really can't afford it, I could probably easily resell it for what I paid. Losing some $50-60 or so in shipping costs would be well worth it to me for the experience of having this interesting bass. And if the Acinonyx turns out to be as good for me as it appears to be for all the others on TB who have them, why then I'd just have to keep it!! :cigar:
    Thanks All,
    Greywoulf

RodRy, PockySteve, Gil Smith and 3 others like this.
  20. mmbass21

mmbass21 Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    Daily driver upgraded! Pretty good match by hipshot for the satin finish since the D tuner is a USA vs the licensed tuners they come with. Super excited to bring my cat to practice this week! 20211016_103324.jpg 20211016_103258.jpg 20211016_103235.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021