Official OVNIFX Smoothie Club

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ross McLochness, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Ross McLochness

Ross McLochness Living Room Bassist Extraordinaire Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    I am so loving my smoothie.
    Best pedal I've owned.
    I love it so much I'm starting a club dedicated to it.

Ross McLochness - #001

Get your number now!

DrMole and Fuzzbass like this.
  2. azwhofan

azwhofan Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Arizona
    Can I get a number? I really dig how the Smoothie brings out the mwah of my RA Mouse 30. And it accentuates the 'honk' of my Ric 4003V63 nicely!

3. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast

Nov 29, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Love my Smoothie also. Very quiet and precise. Wonderful tone shaper. Always on for me.

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Awesome possum. Say, I'm working on a new version and if anyone has requests for aspects to improve, now is a great time to let me know. The bit I already have in the works is to make the input better able to handle high-output basses. The sensitivity pad switch is OK, but it doesn't prevent clipping.

Hoyt, DrMole, wheelsup247 and 4 others like this.
  5. Ross McLochness

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    azwhofan - 002
    zwkoch - 003

We're three strong baby!

6. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not a comp guy, but my Smoothie was definitely an excellent pedal. This thread is giving me GAS

7. Ross McLochness

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    I know what you mean. What I've come to realize is I'm not an "ultra-transparent" compressor guy. I like compression pedals that have an audible "effect" quality to them and the Smoothie has that in spades.

noeinstein likes this.
  8. :)
    I shouldn't be saying anything since I've had my Smoothie only for a bit more than a week ...but here's my 0,02 cents.
    I'm not a technical guy, so I don't know if this makes any sense or is feasible in any way.
    The tilt EQ: instead of cutting one frequency (e.g. highs) while at the same time boosting the other (e.g. lows), how about making it cut one while leaving the other where it is? So, turning the knob clockwise would boost highs and leave the lows untouched, turning counter clockwise would boost the lows and leave the highs untouched.

The one thing I absolutely love about my EBS is the tube sim. switch. Based on my limited time with the Smoothie, I say it outshines the EBS in every way in my opinion (and is definitely a lot more flexible than my Diamond or my Okko which will probably be up for sale soon), but that tube sim. switch is really great. It adds just a tad of rock-ish growl / grind / dirt (not sure about the best word here) and makes the tone cut very well, especially in a busy rock mix.

My personal perfect comp would probably be the Smoothie with said switch and maybe a slightly changed EQ.
    This is not meant to be critical in any way. As I said, not a technical guy, so I'm basically just toying with ideas.

9. Forget my last post.
    Had another gig yesterday and used the TH 500 with my Smoothie.
    Attack 12 o'clock
    Sust 9
    Tone 12
    Mix 11
    Despite playing my bass passive, I had to use the -20db switch and turn the Gain down to 9 o'clock.
    The tone, however, was just great, absolutely great.

Ross McLochness likes this.
  10. Kai Milam

Kai Milam

Feb 11, 2015
    California
    Is there a release date for the next optical smoothie batch?

11. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Actually it turns out we're making one more batch of the OTA version, and it should be available next month; the optical version, I'm aiming for December or January. :)

12. Kai Milam

Kai Milam

Feb 11, 2015
    California
    What major differences do you think the new design will have?
    Will this be an upgrade or an alternative version?

Nihilism likes this.
  13. Ross McLochness

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Your making an Optical version of the Smoothie?
    Dang.
    Bongo - help me to understand why I will need to justify having both the OTA and Optical versions (is it so you can finally throw of the shackles of Ross/Dyna Comp circuit)? :)

14. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Well, I had wanted it to be an optical design from the beginning, because some of my favorite comps are opto; but my designer insisted he could do it better as an OTA using a specific chip. He was right--but now that chip has been discontinued by the manufacturer. So we're back to the drawing board, and trying to figure out how to get the same response with an entirely different circuit. :)

Ross McLochness likes this.
  15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

:thumbsup:

I'm an active bassist -- who plays active basses ;) -- and will buy your new version as soon as it is available! I should already be on your alert list.

The Diamond comp I briefly owned was nice, but even at 18V it did not handle my Sadowsky P5 without too much squish. Some possibility exists that the opto-circuit in the Diamond was defective (I'm skeptical), but long story short, I decided to stick with my Empress which DOES handle my hottest actives.

As much as I love the transparency of the Empress, I am also interested in comps that add a little something-something.

16. Ross McLochness

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    SWEET! That means the original OTA version will become the Klon Centaur of compression pedals.....ha ha ha

mysteryclock and Ricky Caboverde like this.
  17. MCBass89

MCBass89

Jul 29, 2009
    Geek & Pedal Junky
    Really dig how my Smoothie helps keep everything under control and smooth (pun fully intended :) ).

18. mysteryclock

mysteryclock Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    I'm in....
    Pedals.jpg

19. Kai Milam

Kai Milam

Feb 11, 2015
    California
    Thoseare like the unicorns of pedals. Rarely heard but never forgotten!

20. Ross McLochness

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Starling City Bass #004
    mysteryclock #005

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021