1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Quilter Bass Block 800 Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brotondo, Dec 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I've been gigging mine for a few months and I can't think of another amp I'd replace it with. Best amp I've owned so far.

It has made every cab I've tried it with sound better, in most cases better than I previously thought the cab could sound. It does a great job of controlling the drivers.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    sonofshel and brotondo like this.
  2. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i'm in the process of getting the d180 overhauled and i'm hoping that a quilter with my rat tail distortion pedal and dark driving overdrive can replace the d180 that i use in my noisier projects with the added versatility of going super clean sometimes when needed

does this seem like the way to go?

3. brotondo

brotondo

Feb 7, 2012
    Kimball MI
    Keep in mind that the BB800 is very transparent, your tone is the bass and the cab. Of exactly what pedals you would need to emulate a D180? The BB800 has some serious headroom and it's transparency just adds to its versatility.
    I don't miss the D180, but it wasn't very versatile, and the weight!

4. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i'm in the middle of a bunch of freelance and art show stuff right now, however i'm going to try out the quilter in westwood or orange county in the next couple weeks to see if it's gonna work for me

brotondo and Bob Lee (QSC) like this.
  5. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    Add me to the club! Found a pretty good deal on a used Bass Block through Reverb, and I've had some chances to mess around with it on my own and at rehearsal.

I have a pedal preamp that I love the sound of (Two Notes Le Bass), and was wanted a head that was tonally transparent. This does the job beautifully - the Depth and Contour knobs are nice if I need them, but for the most part I plan to leave those at noon and just use my pedalboard for tone shaping.

I was hoping the Contour knob would function as a LPF to take the fizziness from my dirt pedals out of my direct signal; I have a Broughton L+HPF pedal that does this, but having that option on the head as well would allow me to experiment with the placement of the filter in my signal chain. Unfortunately, the Contour's high-end rolloff doesn't do what I need it to (by the time the fizziness is gone my sound is too dark), but it's hardly a problem and doesn't detract from my love of the amp.

Jeff O'Connor and brotondo like this.
  6. sonofshel

sonofshel Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Just ordered mine today and can't wait to try it out with my brand new, still unboxed AudioKinesis Hathor 1203...hoping it'll be everything I want and under 30 pounds. I've tried so many different setups (2/26 marked 30 years since I started playing bass guitar) I'm having a good feeling about this particular pairing

brotondo likes this.
  7. brotondo

brotondo

Feb 7, 2012
    Kimball MI
    Nice! Please report on how the 1203 sounds!
    I'm down to my last cab, a thoroughly flogged Ampeg 4x10, and it feels like <100 lbs :poop:. But it thoroughly shakes a house with the BB800! :bassist: but I seriously need to quit playing that loud, lol a little new age, full range cab will be appreciated.

sonofshel likes this.
  8. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    here's my mini review
    tone similar to that of a mesa d180 ran clean
    emphasis on the low mids
    very clear harmonics
    not real tubey you might need a pre for that
    very even and hard hitting with a fretless, 5 string, and an upright
    i will definitely pick one of these up when i can no longer carry my full tube head

brotondo likes this.
  9. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Maynard, MA
    Can you please give some details re: upright? what signal chain? Use an HPF? etc.
    I tried a BB800 for only five minutes. Plugged in my P and J basses and glory be! Plugged in the Full Circle from my Ply Bass and well, not so much. Fiddled the knobs a bit, added the HPF but no love in five minutes. REALLY dug the EB tones and if there is a way for the BB800 to handle URB as easily as my TH350, that would be great. Although the TH350 is awesome...but, well, I'm a fellow talkbasser, y'know...?

10. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    It was through melody boutique cabs, everything we plugged in sounded good through that combination

Bluesman fretless jazz
    Singleton active 5
    Upright with a pickup

11. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Maynard, MA
    What pickup on the Upright?

12. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    I don't know I have never played one in my life.

13. I tried the BB800 in a local shop with a MIM Fender P.

Everything flat - it sounded awesome. When I started fiddling with the contour and depth knobs, it all turned to mud. Maybe it was the bass - it had low tension, floppy strings and I usually play heavier strings and higher action for more fingerstyle attack.

I want to like this amp because it sounded hefty and powerful, but my impression was that there isn't a ton of usable travel with the BB's own unique pre.

Are most users running pedalboards through this amp?

14. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    The depth and contour knobs do not need lots of dialing and a little will go a long way. The gain is also important. I do use pedals and it does very well.

Fat Fingers and kasbrey like this.
  15. Thanks. Maybe I'll try it again and avoid extreme adjustments.

16. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    I tend to limit my "Depth" adjustments to 1-3 clicks to the left (to handle excess bass). I will go 2-4 clicks right on contour, or start shifting left to scoop the mids when I want a more "acoustic" tone (sometimes all the way counter-clockwise). I'm running a short-scale fretless with D'Addario chromes through it.

In full band settings, I don't use more than 2-4 clicks in either direction.

Fat Fingers likes this.
  17. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    Had a cool gig last night. Was in the house band for a blues jam here in Nashville, subbing for the regular bass player. Brought my quilter + TC112 and Hathor 1203. The fun thing about this was I got to hear many other bass players use it with a variety of basses ,from the audience perspective, as well as my own basses from the stage. There were no subs and the tone was 100% my rig, the room was not that big. I have to admit that this combo really delivered the goods. Duke's stuff always delivers exactly what you put into it, which is one thing I love about the cabs. The Quilter really is warmer than your average class D amp, but it is also clean. My notes on the low b string were simply epic. I have never heard stronger low notes that are full and don't decay quickly. I am not sure if this effect was the cabs or the amp, but a low D or C was simply more present than I am used to. When one guy cranked it up it was easily louder than the whole band by an almost painful degree. I was about ready to murder him, but luckily this was only for two songs lol.
    My favorite bass tone of the whole night was a dude using a P bass with flats, chromes I believe. Outstanding fat tone, yet clean as a bell with no breakup. Other guys had P basses with rounds , one jazz bass player, and then one Gretch bass that had a super hot output. All the basses sounded killer through this setup. I used my P V for half of my playing time, and then I also used my Zon for a few tunes which was the first time I had had that bass out. Not really the bass for a blues night, but I couldn't resist a chance to hear it live. I actually liked my Fender better through the quilter, but that was because I had my Zon in the active input which really cuts the signal and I was running the eq on the bass flat, and the signal was low from the bartolini pre amp. But by the third tune I had the eq on the Zon dialed in and was getting a great tone.
    Overall I was super pleased with this rig, which proved it can dominate a medium sized venue with very little pa support. Also, did I mentioned both my AK cabs are 4 ohms? The quilter handled the 2 ohm scenario with nary a hickup for almost 4 hours. gain and master both around 12 or 1 oclock.

18. sonofshel

sonofshel Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Great reading your review engedi1...I enjoyed the Audiokinesis post also. I have a Hathor 1203 also but have yet to use it live. I want to get a cover for it before taking it to my gigs plus I haven't exactly told my significant other about my acquisition. But I have used my Quilter BB 800 on 3 gigs now (she was sitting on the porch when FedEx delivered).
    I'm loving everything about it so far. I've used it twice at my gig at BB King's. They have a house rig with a GK 1001 and a GK 410 cabinet. I don't have to bring anything but my bass but had to try out the Quilter. I had messed with it at home some but live performance proved this amp to be a keeper for me. Using my passive jazz bass, I was quickly able to eq and sit in the mix better than ever and I've used many different rigs on that stage in over a decade. Nothing but my tuner between bass and amp. Sound man had no problem or gripes about the signal coming off of the DI either. This was an initial concern for me, too. The other gig was across the street at Blues City Cafe and thru 2 10" Mojo Sonic cabs with an 82 year old blues man. BB's with a 22 year old band leader. Both bands are totally different in volume and dynamics. The Quilter is simply amazing and perfect for what I do, want and need. The sound man at Blues City had no issue with the DI either and he's normally critical of such things as pre and post signal,etc. Can't wait to bring the Hathor into my gigging life and I'll be sure to post my thoughts here about that. I'd like to add that I was so gung ho for months about getting the Mesa Boogie Subway 800 but that gas has dissipated. I even had the chance to check one out after the gig Saturday. The bassist in the following band was playing one and I couldn't help but inquire. Showed him the Quilter and next time we're going to exchange amps for a set. I can't stop loving my new amp and what it has done to make my time onstage simpler and more fulfilling. All I have to do is play what I feel and this amp helps project that, no matter what cab I've used so far. I'm thinking that 2017 could be the year that I found my thrill/dream rig. Haha! I can't help but laugh about it

bdplaid and brotondo like this.
  19. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    Cool. you will love it through the Hathor. I think the quilter was designed with the passive bass player in mind. it really sounds amazing with the P bass and the passive J basses. I would be really interested to hear how your comparison against the Mesa Subway goes.

dobrien and sonofshel like this.
  20. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    And good luck with the wife/girlfriend lol. Better to fess up than for her to find out on her own. ;)

Keger Jupit and sonofshel like this.