1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Quilter Bass Block 800 Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brotondo, Dec 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    You'll enjoy it. It gets loud and full sounding. Glad it got fixed.

2. wyrtti

wyrtti

Oct 24, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I got mine on Tuesday and did a quick tryout. At normal band practice levels, though without the band. It sounded excellent! I like how the gain thickens up the sound, I kept it between 7 and 8. Wonderful, thick, yet clear tone through my Ampeg Pro Neo 15. I just can't wait for the next band practice.

As for background, I play in two metal bands. My setup has been a V4BH into the Ampeg Pro Neo. But, I really have to drive the V4BH hard and have been wanting something cleaner at the needed levels. The Bass Block seems to be a good choice. My first foray into class D.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    deafanddumb and Agosix like this.
  3. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I'm thinking of getting one of these to power an svp-cl preamp. Can anyone compare how the quilter compares to the current 800 watt class d amps? Namely the Magellan and d800. I'm strictly talking about using the power sections.

murphy likes this.
  4. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    I tried the Quilter with the preamp section of a Demeter 400 and it provided more eq possibilities. In comparison with the Demeter alone my feelings were that they are both great amps. But somehow always leaned towards the Quilter maybe due to bottom warmth and punch and spread. Also liked the highs on the Quilter better because they seemed more neutral. I don't have the Demeter now but I at times run the Quilter with an Arkham Zephyr pre and like it a lot. One guy I ran into on TB said but Quilter and Magellan are great but he always leaned towards he Quilter. Never tried the Magellan myself. But the Quilter on its own is great. Adding a pre gives you more eq options.

G Aichele, deafanddumb and brotondo like this.
  5. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC

IMO, both those heads use the newer ICE 700w module which I think is very nice, and is more "pleasing" to the ear than the 250 module thats in many of the other high wattage class d heads (tone hammer, MB00, puma 900) used, which sounds a little "grainy" by comparison, to my ears. YMMV. I think the Quilter has a far nicer power section than either, and is evident by its quickness and effortless low end delivery. Its a very "non class D" sounding head, which is a big complement as far as I'm concerned. There's nothing wrong AT ALL with the 700 or 250 based heads, but the quilter to me sounds more like a good ole traditional amplifier, I think

6. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I just got my BB800 last night. Only had about ten minutes to play with it, but what I heard I liked. I bought it because I was looking for a small class d amp to use with different pre amp pedals (GK Plex, SansAmp BDDI, MXR M80, etc). It fits the bill perfectly and so much more. Really interesting pre amp section, I'll be doing some experimenting with it. Small, powerful and flexible. What more can you ask for?

deafanddumb and TrentB like this.
  7. TrentB

TrentB Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Yorba Linda, Ca
    I'm doing a little experimenting too. Testing the three preamps below into the front and rear of the Quilter through an Audiokinesis Hathor 212. So far the Le Bass is winning. It sounds killer through the front end of the Quilter.

IMG_0070.JPG IMG_0071.JPG

8. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I just ran my GK Plex through it into my Hartke HyDrive 410. It was tight and punchy with a very solid bottom end. Exactly what I was looking for.

son_of_mogh, deafanddumb and TrentB like this.
  9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    That BB800 + Hathor 212 is in my top 3 dream rigs.
    Congrats!

TrentB and deafanddumb like this.
  10. deafanddumb

deafanddumb Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Appreciate your thoughts on these different preamps in front of the BassBlock. I mentioned to you on the Audiokinesis thread that Duke is building a Hathor 212 for me so I'm counting the days til that shows up, and simultaneously looking for a new bass-amp to drive it.

The BassBlock is on my short-list, for sure!

TrentB likes this.
  11. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    The little mark on the Contour knob fell off and I can't find it. I emailed Quilter Labs and about and hour later I got an email from Pat himself. He's shipping out a replacement right away. This is why I bought one without even hearing it. I had a QSC power amp for years, and as much as I abused it, it work flawlessly. Not only does Pat Quilter make great stuff, he personally stands behind it. If he can take the time to email me immediately about a knob, I know he'll be there in the unlikely event I have a real problem.

12. TrentB

TrentB Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Yorba Linda, Ca
    I'll post some thoughts tonight. My wife and kids came home. Gotta deal with them.

PWV likes this.
  13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I was really impressed by the LeBass pedal when it was introduced at NAMM some years back. In fact, we gave it one of our Best of Show Awards.

son_of_mogh, deafanddumb and TrentB like this.
  14. TrentB

TrentB Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Yorba Linda, Ca
    Another thing I did yesterday was run the Quilter and Le Bass through my Berg NV610t. This combo slammed! I haven't read of anybody pairing the Quilter with an NV610 but it sounded huge. I'm actually taking this setup to my gig tonight instead of my SVT.

BassCliff, tombowlus and deafanddumb like this.
  15. TrentB

TrentB Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Yorba Linda, Ca
    OK, here are some of my thoughts regarding the three preamps I ran through the Quilter yesterday (Le Bass, BDDI V2, and VT Bass DI). I ran these through my Audiokinesis Hathor 212 in my home office/music room. Keep in mind that I'm not great at describing tone and eq frequencies. I've always just been plug and play into my SVT with very little eq adjustment. Oh, my band just invested in a nice in ear system so that is part of the reason that I'm tinkering with these preamps/DI's. We will be using the new system for the first time tonight at a gig. We've been using it at our rehearsals for a few weeks to get it all dialed in. By the way, I bought a set of Westone UM30 in ears after not being able to hear much bass from the Shure single driver buds the band bought. These sound 1000% better!

First off, my goal was to find cleanish settings that I could use with my P bass in my band setting. I've got pedals to cover my dirt needs. My band is a 90's rock and grunge cover band playing songs by STP, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Soundgarden, RATM, Bush, etc. Half of the songs I play finger style and the others with a pick. Usually my P Bass played with a pick into my amps with flat eq sounds too honky, nasally and midrangy. So I try to scoop the mids a little to counter that. But then when played finger style it sounds to boomy without much note definition, not aggressive enough. So I was looking for a usable tone that sounded great with fingers and a pick.

Two Notes Le Bass
    I've had the Le Bass quite a bit longer than the other two so I'm much more familiar with the tones and controls. I've never used it live or at a rehearsal. I've always just messed with at home through the multiple class d amps that I've cycled through. I've always just used the B channel with the OD set fairly light. Well it turns out that the A (clean) channel sounds really, really good. It only has treble and bass controls so with both boosted a bit it cuts that midrange honk I was trying to get rid of. It adds much more top end sheen and sparkle that the Quilter can't do on it's own. Nice glassy highs. The bass is very full and smooth and can be way too much if not careful with the knobs. It sounds great with a pick, nice bright attack with full bottom, no honky midrange. Fingerstyle also sounds very nice. Very fat with plenty of articulation up top. You can goose the gain on the clean channel to add some tubeyness. It's doesn't really get into too much OD with a passive bass but it definitely adds more fatness.

Channel B (dirty) adds a very pleasant OD to grindy distortion depending on where you set the gain. I think this unit really excels at low to moderate OD tones. I'll be using this channel tonight on songs where I have always used my Darkglass VMT for light OD. I was able to dial in the eq to sound great with a pick and fingers. It has absolutely no low end loss and is just as fat as channel A but now with some nice grind. A really nice tubey OD. This channel has a mid control that you can really shape your tone.

I really like that the Le Bass has two stellar channels and the OD sounds as good or better than other popular OD pedals. The size is large and definitely won't fit on my Nano pedalboard. Good thing I've got a larger board that I can put to use. Oh, I ran the xlr out into the back of the Quilter to check out the speaker sim (doesn't work through the 1/4 output). What everybody says is true. It is way too dark. If i DI directly from this unit I won't need the speaker sim since I don't run extreme settings on either channel. It comes with it's own power supply because it takes more juice than other pedals. I've hooked it up to my Cioks DC5 that powers that and my other pedals on my board.

Sansamp BDDI V2
    I've only had this one for a few weeks but I've been able to use it at rehearsal once. We record our rehearsals with our new digital mixer/in ear setup. I had been mic'ing my cab but figured I would send a DI signal since that's what the sound guy always takes at gigs.

I wanted to try the BDDI because of it's popularity and reputation over the years with rock bass. Now that it has a mid control I really wanted to try it. This preamp definitely colors your tone. I'm not sure yet if that's a good or bad thing. The owners manual has sample settings to get you started. I worked with the Fat Tube, Bassman Style and SVT Style. All three sounded pretty mid scooped and bass heavy to me. The OD was hardly present in any of these styles with my passive P. I would have to goose the drive more to add any grind although that wasn't really what I was looking for. I found a nice tone somewhere in between the SVT and Fat Tube settings. It was pretty aggressive on the top end with a pick and retained a fat bottom. Fingerstyle sounded pretty good but I still felt that the bottom was too round and bassy while the treble was too high. It kind of gets rid of that natural string noise that lives in the high mids and leaves you with only super high treble frequencies. I'll need to spend more time with this pedal for sure. The recording from rehearsal using the BDDI definitely sounded better than just a DI running from the back of my SVT. The lows were full and smooth and blended nicely with the guitars and drums.

VT Bass DI
    I've had this pedal for less than a week. I had one in the past but didn't give it much of a chance and ended up selling it. This pedal gets such rave reviews here on TB that I thought I'd give it another chance. I played with some of the sample settings, SVT Style, Fat Tube and Warm Compression. First thing I noticed was the distortion was much more present in all these settings than with the BDDI. It was too much for my liking. I pulled the drive down and found a nice tone somewhere between the SVT and Warm Compression settings. I had to also turn the bass knob down as I felt it was just too overpowering and boomy. The character knob has the potential to get super clanky but with it below noon it can add the right amount of presence. I really like this pedal and will spend more time with it. It does do the SVT thing well, I just have to find my sweet spot.

That's it for my totally unprofessional opinions of these preamps. I've decided to use the Le Bass through the Quilter and NV610 at my gig tonight instead of my SVT. I'm letting the bassist for our opening band use my amp and cab since he is not local. He thinks he'll be using my SVT and might be a little surprised when he sees the little Bass Block. At least I'll be able to listen to the rig from the audience when he is playing. I'm sure the Quilter will rock!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Great review - thanks!
    Do you bypass the Quilter preamp with all three or just the Le Bass?
    How well does the Le Bass work run into the instrument input?

17. TrentB

TrentB Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Yorba Linda, Ca
    Actually I did both. I ended up liking them run into the instrument input better. That's how I'm running it tonight. Now just have have to figure out where to take the DI, the Le Bass or the Quilter's DI out.

son_of_mogh and deafanddumb like this.
  18. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Thanks!
    With the Le Bass XLR out you don't have to worry about DI level changes if you need to adjust the Quilter Master.
    Which sounds the best might outweigh those considerations though.

deafanddumb likes this.
  19. TrentB

TrentB Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Yorba Linda, Ca
    Exactly. Not sure which will sound the best. Will the Quilter add any goodness to the DI? Dunno.

20. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I briefly had the quilter and definitely preferred running a preamp into the xlr input on the back. More clear and natural. Imo

sludgetail and TrentB like this.