1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Quilter Bass Block 800 Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brotondo, Dec 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TrentB

TrentB Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Yorba Linda, Ca
    Good to know. I didn't have an xlr to 1/4 cable so could only run the DI out to the back of the Quilter. It didn't have enough juice that way.

2. TrentB

TrentB Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Yorba Linda, Ca
    The Quilter and Le Bass through the NV610 rocked last night. Didn't miss the SVT at all!

3. deafanddumb

deafanddumb Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Thanks for all the updates on the BassBlock and the preamps you're using with it -- great info! Think I'm going to order a BassBlock this coming week and start with my SansAmp BDDI since I already own one, but you've really piqued my interest in the LeBass preamp as well.

murphy and TrentB like this.
  4. TrentB

TrentB Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Yorba Linda, Ca
    I think the Le Bass is much more versatile than the BDDI especially with the two channels. I was getting good results with the BDDI with the blend knob at noon or less. Any higher it gets too bloated and loses the natural character of the bass. You'll enjoy the Quilter,

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    Agosix and deafanddumb like this.
  5. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    I've been looking at the LeBass for a long time. Nice review.

TrentB likes this.
  6. floydman

floydman

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    Got bit by the 15% off coupons on Reverb and a BB800 is on its way to me.
    Looking forward to using this straight up and with the tone-hammer preamp.

lo-freq likes this.
  7. shrigg

shrigg Joy Decision Bassist/BL, AudioKinesis Beta Tester Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Traverse City, MI
    Anyone tried an SA Aftershock through the BB800?

8. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    I did try the Aftershock with the Quilter and it worked fine. I don't have the aftershock now because it is not my thing.

9. Kreken

Kreken

Oct 27, 2010
    Norway
    Endorsing Artist: Darkglass pedals
    I received my Bass Block 800 a few days ago, and finally got to try it yesterday. Am using it with a Berg CN212. Must say I am very impressed! A/B-ed it against my Fender Super Twin. They're both amazing amps! Hard to pick a favorite, but I ended up using the Bass Block on the gig. It's definitely my favorite of the microamps I've tried. Very dynamic and with a nice growl. It sounds good on its own, but since I have a Noble preamp I plug into anyway as a DI, I use that in front of the Bass Block.

Attached Files:

Big String, Levin, TrentB and 2 others like this.
  10. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    Wow. Can you comment more on the noble going into the quilter? I am looking at the noble.

11. Kreken

Kreken

Oct 27, 2010
    Norway
    Endorsing Artist: Darkglass pedals
    We're doing a tv show recording eight shows in eight days, so unfortunately I haven't had much time to fiddle around with anything. But I love the Noble! I normally keep it flat (both controls on zero), to make sure the sound guy gets the same signal every night. It sounds amazing! It's pretty clean, but I'm sure it adds some tube warmth and feel to the already great Bass Block.

12. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    Excellent thanks. I have only heard great things about the Noble. It's pricey but everyone seems to love it.

Kreken likes this.
  13. floydman

floydman

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    What cabinets are matching well with the BB800 for everybody?
    I will report on Epifani ul410 and Berg. AE112 when BB800 arrives this week.

14. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    Two Genzler 12x3 cabinets work for me.

15. Mike Law

Mike Law

Sep 16, 2014
    CT
    Has anyone tried these for upright/piezo ?

16. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    Only very briefly with my Breedlove acoustic-electric right after I got the amp in December. I had ways I learned to dial in both my TH500 and old GK MB200 to make them sound good with the acoustic - the BB200 EQ section made the process *much* faster (basically "sweep contour to the left"). That said, I haven't taken it to gig volume, so it wasn't a very thorough test.

17. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    my pal just borrowed mine to use with his Juzek and Headway DI. He said the headway into the front end was very nice. I wish he had tried the headway into the XLR in on the back, as i have a feeling that would have been even better, but he's saying he's gonna get one now. His rig is an old white face EA Iamp 600 and a pair of VL110 cabs.

lo-freq likes this.
  18. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    Probably won't answer all of your questions but go to the 1:18 mark of this video......

19. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    Add me please! Just got my Bass Block 800 yesterday ... Absolutely love it!

IMG_0491.JPG

Attached Files:

20. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Just picked up a BB800 from a local bass buddy, and played around with it at home a couple hours through my Mesa Subway cabs.

First impression is positive. Seems very quick, and very tight--which I like. Haven't turned it up much (prefer to keep the window glass intact...) but seems to have a lot of whomp, for sure.

I'd appreciate any tips 'n' tricks you veteran owners might have, regarding the EQ. With the knobs at noon (graphic says that's flat, yeah?)I like the way it works with my Sadowsky Will Lee with singles. But my oldie Smith (also JJ) comes off as too nasal and honky with everything (bass, too) set flat. Yeah, the scoop helps some.

Tried the trick mentioned in the manual, to get a touch of compression on transients--running the gain up with the master cut down. Nice! I like that, for slapstyle.

Seems natively brighter with more in the upper mids than my other amps. Not a problem--just wondering if others had that sense of it, too.