1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Quilter Bass Block 800 Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brotondo, Dec 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    You might be on to the real reason for the change... check out this photo of a BB800 in a BassDock 10. Look at how the power cable is crammed in there. You can see the blue part of the cable is bent. Possibly there just isn't physically enough clearance to cleanly insert a typical, non-right-angle, XLR cable, without putting unacceptable tension on the connector.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  2. davidchampoux

davidchampoux Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    I'm aware of that.

Studio work is different since you can definitely call the shots before each song, and adjust gain staging and foldback when needed.

For live gigs, I like the approach of 'set and forget', amp-wise (except for the master volume). You need an over-drive? Get a pedal in front of the amp, and make sure the level is set OK, according to the song, etc.

Regarding Ampeg and their XLR out after the power amp stage (and output transformer), it's a good idea tone-wise, but when I'm after that type of tone, I can always connect the speaker out to a good carefully selected DI of my choice (can be a JDI if you want an extra transfo, or the great Countryman DT10, if you want all the purety of the amp); there are many options when you're searching for 'tone' in the studio... But LIVE, you want something simple, that works 100% of the time, and quickly. I've had amps with ALL types of output scenarios in the past, and for ME today, the XLR out has to be POST treatment (EQ/Comp/Insert), but pre Master volume.

Brad Johnson likes this.
  3. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    They do not use Speakon. The inputs on the cabs are 1/4". Two 1/4" outs on the BB800.

Again, this is a design choice driven by the "stystem."
    Speakons are too big when the amp is docked - they don't work in the system.

Lot's of guys have a problem with the 1/4" thing,,, there is an explication from Pat Quilter himself on here about why the 1/4" speaker outs,,, and a whole bit about regulations and safety standards, and what's allowed by law, and everything else... again, you might have to do a good bit of searching thru 2 mega-threads to find it.

davidchampoux likes this.
  4. davidchampoux

davidchampoux Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    I was referring to the BB802.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I don't think the BB800 emulates a tube amp. I know I don't use mine that way.

You can play loud and clean AND have independent control of your stage volume when the master is not in line with the line out.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    hennessybass likes this.
  6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    People complained because they wanted a 1/4" instead? I missed that.

Zbysek likes this.
  7. The Interbass should replace your amp, not add anything to it. I guess they share the same voice, while the preamp is more versatile in terms of EQ.

8. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Me too.

9. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    York UK
    If you listen to the video, the Interbass has a "valvier" tone with a fair bit of distortion available. I would imagine the proposed BB802 will be the same, therefore different from the BB800.

Mingus_Habens likes this.
  10. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I think Quilter learned the lesson that bass players have strong opinions about DI's, and there is no "one size fits all" solution that will make everyone happy. The addition of a 1/4" send on the BB802 makes it easy to capture the tone of the preamp section into your favorite DI of choice, which was not possible with the BB800.

People who liked the BB800's DI can continue to happily use their BB800s.

And people who need a "dry" or "pre" DI can continue to put their DI between their bass and the amp, as has been standard operating procedure for decades. :)

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    That makes sense... if they continue to offer both models.

Zbysek likes this.
  12. Not having a full balanced line out never been a problem for me, honestly. I always use my BB800 at reheals and never had a problem with the XLR out. I was thinking about getting a dedicated DI some time ago but it never happened. That said, I think that the lack of an XLR port in the BB802 isn't the best choice.

Brad Johnson, Mushroo and Zbysek like this.
  13. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    That's the catch - the only feature listed for the 802 that I really like is the "quieter fan." For everything else (EQ, line-out, etc.), I prefer the 800's features.

But hey - on Sunday, I got to run my 800 through 4ohm 8x10 for the first time ever. I didn't hear the fan at all! :D

Big String, sears and Mike Barry like this.
  14. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    WHAT!?!?!??!?!?!!??!:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

15. Personally, I can't find a valid reason to switch from the 800 to the 802, at the moment. I'm sure some of you guys will love the improved EQ versatility of the 802, but personally I like the EQ section on my 800 for a simple reason: I love the sound of my basses and I use the EQ only to compensate for the room. I barely touch it to be honest and the amp always sound great.

16. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    I love the EQ on the BB800 - I know how to make it do what I want with a minimum of knob-twiddling and I can't find a bad sound. I like to simplify the options - it almost always works better for me. I'm not thrilled with the new EQ layout - it seems too...normal.

17. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    +1

Mingus_Habens and bdplaid like this.
  18. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    Agree. One of the reasons why I initially bought the amp is because of the uniqueness. I've been able to get any kind of sound I want out of it and it really reduces the amount of knob twiddling I would do compared with a typical amp. That's part of the charm of this amp, getting your sound quickly and easily. But I guess it's the squeaky wheels that get the grease.

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Sometimes it's hard to know when you got it right.
    :D

bdplaid and Mike Barry like this.
  20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    The EQ looks like a step backwards.

I get that the BB800 controls baffled some folks. It was new and foreign to them. But I also know many people who took the time to understand them and saw the same beauty in the approach that many of us have. Some even came back to the BB800 after initially giving up on it.

Great ideas don't always immediately catch on... but they remain great.