1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Quilter Bass Block 800 Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brotondo, Dec 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    That's why I don't see standard EQ as an improvement.

I've lost track of how many times I've demoed the tone controls on my BB800 IRL. It's the rare exception that someone doesn't say "Wow, that was easy".

And they've usually bought their own afterwards.

I'll just continue to happily use mine... and if I have to replace it, another 800 shouldn't be hard to find.

2. erhoth

erhoth Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Hey, I see everyone is stoked about the new amp. It looks intriguing. I am looking for input on the new speakers and I see a couple of folks have them. Could I please get an overview for both the 10 & 12? Thanks for your time.

bdplaid likes this.
  3. pisces_bass

pisces_bass

Jun 8, 2019
    Central WA
    View attachment 3528439 I’m glad to see the Quilter crew continue to innovate but I will be keeping my BB800. The simple controls work for me. 90% of my gigs are small rooms that I handle without PA support anyway. I run a 2x10 + 1x15 and can get a very thick, room-filling tone even at relatively low volume. And when I play larger outdoor stages. . .game on!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    Mingus_Habens, Zbysek and wave rider like this.
  4. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    +1 to the comments in praise of the old eq. The only thing I wanted was something like a bright switch, I just wanted a hair more bite.

Mingus_Habens and Zbysek like this.
  5. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    It would be nice if that white noise issue does not appear on the 2nd version which was a common complaint. Although it was minor and Quilter did a great job in responding to the users and fixing it.

Zbysek and CharlieC like this.
  6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    If they fixed it in the BB800 why would it reappear in the 802?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    Mingus_Habens and CharlieC like this.
  7. Knowing what you want and what to do makes this amp easy to use, some people are somehow confused by its simplicity. If you like your instruments, you'll like this amp. I only keep basses that sound good by themselves, so I think I made the right choice. I bought my BB800 almost 2 years ago and never even looked for another amp to be honest.

I don't think this is a step backwards. This kind of EQ clearly offers a wider range of tones, the fact that we don't need it doesn't make it worse.

Are newer models made in a different country? I remember reading that Quilter moved the production for some models.

+1.
    I'll also add a mid boost switch.

Big String and Zbysek like this.
  8. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Still made in the US
    I love my 800 I have a Mesa if I want different flavor. But I’m glad they’re expanding, more amps=more gas

Mingus_Habens likes this.
  9. I've been intrigued by the Mesa Subway series, especially the DD800. I ended up with the BB800 because of its simpler EQ section, but I bet those Mesa amps sound terrific.
    Have you compared your Mesa with the BB800? I'm curious to hear the differences.

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Does it offer a wider range of tones... or just more comfortably traditional controls? The original EQ never came up short for me, by the same token I understood how the amp works. Tonal tweaks involved adjustments combined with gain compensation vs. cut and boost.

As far as boost switches, I never used them on my traditional amps like my Shuttle 9.0. IME the trick to getting more treble or mids is revealing them vs. boosting. Remove what would allow them to come forward without boosting. And your gain can bring everything forward to start.

Here's an exaggerated example. Want more highs? Dial back the depth completely and cut the mids by turning that knob fully counterclockwise. Have your volume (and tone) open on your bass. Turn your gain up.

What's left? Highs.

Now dial up the appropriate amount of mids without obscuring the highs. Then dial up the depth. Without the need for boosting you can end up with robust, clear, full range sound.

For more mids, rolling off the highs and maybe some depth brings them forward.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Yes, many times. Several of my friends with D800 series have been curious about the BB800. Many now own BB800's.

They're nice amps but I'm more than happy with my choice. Then again I don't have anything I need to fix with EQ so there's that. I figured out a long time ago how much time I could waste with something that needed to be fixed.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  12. I often use the "reverse" EQing technique you mentioned and it usually does the job pretty well. I still think that a traditional 3+ bands active EQ is more effective if your goal is to change your instrument's tone drastically. We use and love the BB800 EQ section because we love the natural tone of our instruments and don't need big tonal variations.

So they sold their Mesa amps after trying the BB800?

Brad Johnson likes this.
  13. redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I play them with the same cab, they both sound stellar....just more brushes to paint with

herndonbassist and Mingus_Habens like this.
  14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Yes, someone who want more drastic changes AND wants to do that at the amp instead of elsewhere should likely look elsewhere. I don't think that was the BB800 target market. I see it as a robust basis, possibly for a platform. With my basses and playing, I'm cool without traditional controls.

Almost all of my basses are active. Nothing stopping me from dialing in a vast array of EQ shapes.

The trick is making traditional set controls where most people will like them. Otherwise they still may not be able to do what they want to at the amp.

Many did. Some even bought the BB800, sold it and came back after to trying other amps.

Some bought the D800+ because it had more controls than the D800. The logic, according to them was that more is better. Then they realized better is better, whichever way that is achieved.

15. All my basses are passive, so my rig is even more simple (some people would say "limited"). I just grab the right bass depending on the sound I want and touch the EQ just to compensate for the room. When I want a wider tonal range I plug a preamp pedal into the line in, but I almost never need that.

Brad Johnson and Big String like this.
  16. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    I had a D800+ a very nice amp but it just didn’t have the immediate note heft that the BB800 has.

I use one or two Berg NV115 sealed cabs and only passive basses (Birdsong).

So far of all the great type D amps I’ve tried only the BB800 has satisfied me with my choices of cabs and basses. Also using only one Nv115 the Quilter shines the others did not. The Darkglass Microtubes 900 was equal for slam but a different taste and way more options I don’t use.

Not that I really need more watts but I would have like to see it bumped up for the new version. I did like some of the 1/4” front panel upgrades. I hardly ever need a DI.

Mingus_Habens likes this.
  17. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    My bass is "one pickup, one knob" - I'm still good with the reductive EQ. :D

18. redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Having the WD800 and the BB800, the quilter has FAR more heft and then some

19. So the new model doesn't have a line in, right?

20. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Let's not forget that there is no new model officially...