1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Quilter Bass Block 800 Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brotondo, Dec 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ThrewSilver

ThrewSilver Banned

Apr 11, 2017
    Are loud fans a "thing" with this amp? I haven't read back through the entire thread yet but I just took delivery of the BB800 yesterday and noticed that the fan starts pumping pretty good as soon as I turn the amp on. It's not a big issue and I doubt it would be noticeable in a rehearsal setting let alone at a gig. I'm just curious if this is common or if it's my unit in particular.

I only had a chance to play through it for about 30 minutes or so but first impressions are extremely positive regarding the sound and punch of this amp.

2. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    My new-to-me BB800 is no louder than the other micro amps I've used: GK MB800 (with the updated fan control), Aggie TH500, Mesa D-800 and D-800+.

son_of_mogh likes this.
  3. we tigers

we tigers

Oct 28, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Let us know how that combination works out! The Quilter has got my interest. And I've got the tone hammer preamp as well. Might be a nice lightweight alternative to lugging my Fender PA135 around.

4. Bass Mayhem

Bass Mayhem

Dec 27, 2007
    Sweden
    I've used my BassBlock 800 in different situations with nothing else than the amp and different cabs, like:
    - playing acoustic upright with Realist LifeLine
    - acoustic bass guitar
    - Dingwall Super P with flats played with fingers or pick
    - Dingwall Super J active
    - Steinberger XL2 "hyperactive" funk machine
    - Dingwall Sklar and Voodoo 6 jamming metal, using a 1000 W Ampeg fridge
    - gospel gig with my Sklar and TKS 2126 cab
    - Etc...

35484148772_a03835518e_k.

The little amp is easy to tweak; no gain LED stating "You're too loud: Back off!" Turn the knob to your tone. Lower setting: crystal clear, over 2 o'clock it starts to "tube compress and sag". Higher makes it dirty. The two filters can manage almost anything. I've never failed to get a usable (read: good!) tone with any of my basses. And: you can connect another preamp at the back to get a two channel amp, like a tube channel for e-bass and the front channel for upright. I've NEVER run out of power...

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    Big String, Lowendtech, Levin and 9 others like this.
  5. we tigers

we tigers

Oct 28, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Sounds impressive!

6. ThrewSilver

ThrewSilver Banned

Apr 11, 2017
    Interesting. My BB800 definitely seems louder than the 4 or so previous micros that I've owned, though I'm going entirely on memory. I know that my Genz Benz Shuttlemax was definitely dead quiet.

7. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    It's louder for sure than any other micro I've owned. But more than that, it produces clear bass freqs with what feels like infinite headroom

Agosix and ThrewSilver like this.
  8. thehindteet

thehindteet

Jan 15, 2013
    I've only had this thing for a few days but there are a bunch of random, small things I like about it a lot. The fact that the control panel is angled upward and the labels are above the pots means that when I have it sitting on a cabinet at thigh level, it's easy to reach for the right knob. Also, if you had told me that this two-knob tone thing was going to be great, I'd have said you were deluded but that it didn't matter much because I wind up leaving things flat like 95% of the time.

That isn't the case at all- if you're an upright player and you have ever used one of the Fishman Platinum EQ preamps, the depth knob works basically the same way, like a "boom control", which is almost the only reason I ever fiddle with the EQ controls on an amp.

The only complaint I have is not much of a complaint- because the input jacks are angled up at 45 degrees or so, if you have instrument cables with some of the more absurdly long connector (I made myself some cables with those whopping big Amphenol TM2PN plugs), they stick up kind of awkwardly, a right angle plug might be nice for the amp side. For cables with the little stubby connectors like the Planet Waves a straight plug is fine.

I have a bunch of gigs this weekend and will report back on how it fares. I have been using a GB Streamer for a few years and I still like it, but have been intrigued by the Quilter guitar stuff for a while and when I saw this thing it looked intriguing. You can never have too many amps right?

ebozzz, Aaron Mc and Bob Lee (QSC) like this.
  9. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    This is probably obvious to those who have used the amp, but if anyone new to it is wondering how to boost mids with this two-knob EQ (I play fretless primarily, so this is definitely of interest to me), here's how I am doing it, by cutting bass and treble a bit then boosting master volume to compensate:
    1. Turn the Depth knob counterclockwise a bit, to cut bass
    2. Turn the Contour knob clockwise a bit, to cut treble
    3. Adjust master volume level to suit
    A little goes a long way ... you'll instantly hear the difference each click makes on either knob in either direction.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  10. thehindteet

thehindteet

Jan 15, 2013
    I have played some long gigs with the amp now and can report a few observations.

My usual gigging amp is a GB Streamer 600, an annoyance with that amp is that with everything set flat, it is very bassy. It sounds great with a 2x10 box but if I take a 4x10 box (which happens infrequently) it's tricky to dial it back. The Quilter is flatter by comparison, it doesn't make the 4x10 sound boomy and with about half a click on the depth knob the 2x10 sounds right.

I like the depth control- on this particular gig I play about 1/3 of the tunes with some J pickup. Because the P alone is so much louder, I usually need to turn the amp up, or turn up the bass eq knob on the bass a little (this is a sadowsky p/j). Because of the detents on the Quilter controls it's easy to make that adjustment without having to pay much attention.

I don't think you can say anything meaningful about an amp until you've used it for a year or so; if you can get through 20 or 30 gigs with no flakiness and feel generally happy with the sound in a bunch of different venues then you know you've got a good one. Also I haven't played any upright gigs on the Quilter yet, maybe I'll post again after a few of those, although it sounds pretty good in my studio so I'm optimistic.

I have a minor complaint, which is that I like to keep the power cord and speaker cable in the amp bag- since the Streamer only has neutrik outs if you arrive at the gig without a neutrik cable or an adapter, you're sol. The Quilter case has a pouch on the outside, but even a 3ft neutrik cable is a tight squeeze, but you have to stuff the power cable inside the bag with the head. Part of the reason I bought the Quilter though is that the head will easily fit into the shoulder bag that I bring to all my gigs, so I think I'll just put the Quilter bag away. Getting into gigs with a bag on each shoulder has been fraught with peril, so getting it down to one bag, a bass and a cabinet means I can make one trip from the car. It's the little things.

lo-freq and alaskaleftybass like this.
  11. I've not had my BB for a year yet, nor have I done 30 gigs w/ it yet,:crying: (my bad!) but I'm convinced.

The shoulder bag has little more support than tissue paper, the unit sits on its feet and the bag zips tight, you have to be careful about banging it on anything. I manage to fit the A/C cord and a speak-on cable in the pouch however; I just have to compress everything.

I like the amp lots w/ my Bergie 410- so much so that I'm working on a special firework for tomorrow-

It will first explode into an image of the BB800, followed by a sparkling portrait of Pat Quilter in many colors.
    Should be spectacular...and Patriotic!

flag.

12. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    This rig sure sounded great the other night. The room was horrendous, big square with high ceilings with zero acoustical treatment, but the rig handled it admirably, or as much as one could expect. I was able to dial out some of the boom and push some articulation with the filters, but I am glad I have onboard EQ and a Empress ParaEQ for certain rooms from hell. The Quilter driving a 4 ohm load is amazingly powerfu IMG_8975. l and has effortless low end delivery. Just a great overall sound. If they released one with a little more full featured EQ section and some connectivity tweaks (ahem.. the DI needs its own level control or at least unhook it from the master volume for the love of God), it would just plain rule. Personally, I'd be happier with a 3 or 4 band EQ, but the filters are remarkably usable.

13. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Wow, gorgeous equipment you're using there. Sorry for a slight derail, but how do you like your Bergantinos? They look pretty compact. I've heard great things about them. I've been on a quest for excellent speakers that aren't too big but can really put out a bottom end thump.

EDIT: Are there Bergantinos that are carpet covered? I'm trying to avoid carpet.

14. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    thanks! These are the CN210's. Not the most current offering, but I really like the way they sound. Not the deepest or loudest, but tonally, very sweet and zero fuss every time I plug them in. And the form factor is as close to perfect as I can picture. I've been through so many nice/boutique cabs, and am happy to have something that is so plug and play.

Not carpeted: they have a faux carbon fiber covering. So far so good, I'm OVER rat fur too.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  15. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Thanks!

16. floydman

floydman

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    I used the BB with an AE112 last night at a rehearsal with a P bass with flatwounds.
    The sound was very nice, clear and natural but I was looking for more of a big warm bottom so I plugged in my TH preamp and the 3 band Eq helped give me the bottom end boost I was looking for.
    Band complemented on how purely woody the bass sounded. I agreed.
    Had I been using an active bass I could have done the same onboard but it is passive.
    The Ae112 cab does not sound great at home in the practice room, a little too middy. It amazes me every time I use it with a band. Just sounds great like it was made for the mix, punchy, warm. Not much blooming low end if that is a requirement.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  17. floydman

floydman

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    Minor caution on the carry bag, one of the buckles on the shoulder strap broke while loading and dropped the bag on me. I will be looking for a more highly padded laptop case or mixer bag that will also fit some cables.

thehindteet likes this.
  18. thehindteet

thehindteet

Jan 15, 2013
    huh I hadn't looked at this case very closely, i just noticed the clips are plastic. I'm glad you pointed that out!

BTW one overlooked option for junk bags are soft toolboxes, I got a couple of these things from either Lowes or Home Depot like 10 years ago. I used to carry a backpack but it was always a pain not having a flat bottom, so I decided to try using one of those toolbags and have used it ever since. They're way tougher than most ordinary bags, and way cheaper than anything else I looked at (I think these were maybe 20$)

Here's how the Quilter head fits:

closed. open.

With the knobs toward the outside of the case, I don't think they should get banged up.

19. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Harbor Freight sells that kind of bag. Inexpensive! I've been using one as a run bag for cables, mics, and miscellany; it's held up well. Not much protection against impact, though.

20. thehindteet

thehindteet

Jan 15, 2013
    I was thinking about putting the little foam pad from the inside of the Quilter bag into this one- I've not dropped it that I can remember, but I've also been less careful with it than the amp bag since its usually just full of pedals and cables, so it would probably be smart to plan for the inevitable drop. Im glad you mentioned that.