Official Revsound Bass Cab Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stumbo, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Jonathan C

Jonathan C Supporting Member

May 31, 2016
    Holbrook, NY
    Dave's buddy Damon demoing my new cab from Facebook post. It's shipping to me tomorrow.

Stumbo, 9mmMike, dawind99 and 3 others like this.
  2. wagdog

wagdog

Mar 20, 2000
    Der Waffle Haus
    I must say I really liked the tone of that RS115. Does this custom model sound significantly different from the stock? Are we hearing a tweeter too or is that all the 15?

Stumbo and Jonathan C like this.
  3. marcwhy

marcwhy

Apr 21, 2012
    The "RS115T" has the tweeter, so this appears to be the non-tweet.

Stumbo likes this.
  4. Jonathan C

May 31, 2016
    Holbrook, NY
    No tweeter in my cab which is what you saw on the video. Tweeters are unneeded with tone like this cab is speaking!
    According to my phone conversation with Dave, this design will be the "new" RS-115 standard. Can't speak for the tweeter model however, it would have to be somewhat larger. Dave, could you comment?

Stumbo, marcwhy and wagdog like this.
  5. dawind99

dawind99 Commercial User

Mar 30, 2012
    Revsound.net and Revsound on Facebook
    Owner: Revsound
    This will be the new standard for the RS115 loaded with the BN15-300X or BN15-400X. In my opinion it definitely does not require a tweeter. The RS115T is loaded with the BN15-400X which has a different voicing; 38-3000Hz the 300X 42-3500Hz. Both have more than ample low end with the 300X bringing upper end extension. The 400X has a massive low end. The two would pair very nicely and I'm building a RS215 now doing just that. I hadn't done much with the 300X prior to this and it was certainly fortunate that I did. The 300X wanted a very small cabinet and a considerably large port which worked out with the triangular ports adding to the bracing/stiffness of the cab in a most serendipitous
    fashion....also a bit of luck:)

Stumbo, Heavy Blue, Fit4pain and 5 others like this.
  6. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Did they discontinue the "S" driver or just rename it to the 300X ?

Stumbo and Jonathan C like this.
  7. Jonathan C

May 31, 2016
    Holbrook, NY
    The "S" driver in 15“ was discontinued. That was my original choice. Dave looked at the specs for the "X" then modeled the cab for its specs.

Stumbo likes this.
  8. dawind99

dawind99 Commercial User

Mar 30, 2012
    Everyone is invited to this event, basically a GTG with performances, a jam, and breakout sessions with some wonderful instructors. It's Sunday, February 11th from 10AM - 4PM. It's an amazing facility right off the highway and easy to find. There are a bunch of rehearsal rooms and each will have a different cabinet and a player that is familiar with that cab. So, bring your bass and your amp if you like (there will be amps for all the cabs) and we'll have some fun!

Attached Files:

9. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Wish I could make it to the GTG... ironically I will be up in NH that weekend, not too far from Ossipee!
    I just got a new Quilter BB800 head. I bet it would sound amazing through Revsound cabs.

Stumbo likes this.
  10. dawind99

dawind99 Commercial User

Mar 30, 2012
    You're welcome to stop in anytime your in the neighborhood! There's always a variety of cabs around.

Stumbo and Mushroo like this.
  11. Amajew

Amajew Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2016
    I had the opportunity to check out the GTG today in Burlington.

Thanks for spending the time to chat David, it was much appreciated!

I auditioned the 215T, 88T, 48VT and 410VT.

Prior to the GTG I spoke to David at length regarding what styles I play and what my tonal goals are. What I’ve played through in the past and recently. His suggestion led towards the 215T and 410VT.

After playing all 4 cabs my fit strongly is to the 215T. It has a killer low end hit and not as bright as the other cabs. Each cab takes to EQ very well, very impressive! Can’t wait to snag one up and jam with the band!

There’s definitely a huge benefit to being able to audition a cabinet rather than purchasing without auditioning so, if you’re in the northeast area and you’re in the market for a cab, don’t pass up the Revsound cabs.

Heavy Blue, emjazz, billhw13 and 3 others like this.
  12. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Any pics or video?

13. Amajew

Amajew Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2016
    sorry... no...

I can elaborate more on my personal experience though.

So.. the 410VT and 88T seemed to both be similar in loudness when I heard other bass players play them. I don't think they really pushed them anywhere near their capabilities but the B string from the 410VT sounded pretty thick and focused. Neither of them played through the 215 so I can't comment on that from the audience perspective. Once again, it's personal taste. I first started with the 215T and played around with different EQ settings on my D800 and then on my bass (Warwick Streamer PNut 3 with Basslines Jazz and Humbucker pickups). I really liked the thickness of the 215's when I started raising the volume on the cab. One other thing to note is the tone doesn't change from low volume to high volume, you just get more of what you put in. The speakers didn't fart out at all and I reached the limiting of my amp with the current settings I had on the amp, running the gain fairly high and boosting the Voicing control. It was pretty loud. The D and G string notes had a decent thickness to them as well.

After the 215T I plugged into the 88T as it was right next to it. This cab was much much brighter, I don't slap, I'm mainly a finger style player that likes Hard Rock styles.

Then I went back and forth between the 215 and 88. Both cabinets bring awesome low end that I was missing from my current Bodai 112. Low end that you feel, not just the cabinet being loud because the Bodai brings loud with zero issue, but it's very Hi Fi and the treble just screams, even with the treble on my D800 completely counter clockwise.

I then plugged into the 48VT. Nice cab, brings a good amount of low end but after 15 seconds of playing I knew it wasn't for me. 2 of those though I'm sure will rip!!! The low end wasn't as thick as the other cabs but I'm sure you could EQ some more low end. I didn't tweak the amp a ton between each cabinet.

410VT was next in line, it was across the stage from the 215, 88 and 48VT. David also had another 48VT on the side of the stage as the 410VT was. He ran a speakon from across the stage so I could listen to it at about 15 ft from me. Once again... played the 410VT for about a minute and knew it wasn't my thing. But when the other bass player played through it with overdrives, envelope filters and even octave pedals the cabinet delivered big time... just not my flavor...

In my opinion the 215T can handle most gigs without issue, as can the 88 and 410VT. The 48VT is no slouch either, it's just a very different output from the other larger cabinets.

Another thing to note is when the other players were playing the other cabs they were doing a good amount of shredding runs and chordal stuff which showed off the articulation of the cabinets. I can firmly say all of the Revsound cabinets sound very good and will cover any style of music, but again, personal preference is huge when you as an individual picks what will go in your signal chain.

I really like the form factor of the 215 as well. It weighs about the same as my previous GK Neo 212 cab which is 50lb. Easy to just grab it, lift it and put the top of the cab to my chest to move it where I need to move it to. The 410 was also pretty light but the height of it didn't allow me to grab the handles and put the top of the cab to my chest and move it, the handles are positioned too low. I also checked to see how the 88 felt lifting it. It doesn't feel like a 75ish lb cabinet to be honest. David had put the time into assuring the balance of the cabinets handles work very well.

The other bass players also played through 2x8 cabs. For the size and having 2 8" speakers they were very impressive. Those cabs alone could handle any jazz setting or a setting where the drummer and guitarists practice volume courtesy.

Any other questions feel free to message me and I can answer best from my personal experience.

14. strost

strost

Oct 2, 2008
    Blacksburg, VA
    There’s an RS28 on a brown truck heading my way. Super excited!

Stumbo, marcwhy, Heavy Blue and 2 others like this.
  15. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
  16. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Stumbo likes this.
  17. strost

strost

Oct 2, 2008
    Blacksburg, VA
    Lance Bunyon, Stumbo and emjazz like this.
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021