1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Revsound Bass Cab Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stumbo, Jan 4, 2018.

1. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    I actually contemplated selling my 210 to get a Genzler 10-2 to match one I already have. But I did a side by side and the Rev sounded so good that I changed my mind.

climber, p12bassnut, shoot-r and 2 others like this.
  2. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    Very interested in your thoughts on the 15 cab. Keep us posted.

jnewmark and Stugilliam like this.
  3. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    wow is all I have to say. bought a rs210T off a fellow tber. Its louder and clearer than my two eden ex112 stacked and weighs as much as 1 of them. super happy, was worried 10s wouldnt give me enough boom on the B string but its def boomy and way more defined. I dont use the tweeter but its nice to have.

paired with a mesa wd 800

4. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Just a heads up...just posted my RS115X in the classifieds....
    This needs to be used more by someone...

p12bassnut, pie_man_25 and dawind99 like this.
  5. H Nighttrain

H Nighttrain

Feb 12, 2018
    Just got Johnny's RS115 yesterday. First impression: this thing isn't going to intimidate anybody with its looks, it's pretty dang small for a 15, about the same dimensions as the EA 112 I have it sitting next to. It's signifcantly smaller and probably about half the weight of my last 115. This box is an order of magnitude more manageable.

Compared to my RS212, the 115 has a more rounded, more pillowy feel, but also has that same distinctiveness and response to playing touch that I so much dig with the 212. I haven't pushed it very hard or used it in a live setting yet, but my sense is that it'll work out great.

6. H Nighttrain

H Nighttrain

Feb 12, 2018
    So, I took my new (to me) RS115X out, sat in with a band at an open-air bbq place here in town. Band had a moderately light-hitting drummer, keys, clean (no distortion) guitar, and un-mic'd sax who could not be heard (the inadequate 'PA' consisted of two powered speakers, each with one vocal mic, so un-mic'd sax was lost).

Bass rig was my jazz-like parts bass (smoother sounding bass, it doesn't have the same crispness or presence as a stock J), going thru an Ashdown OriginAL 300, into the RS115, no tweeter. About 180W into the 8-ohm speaker. I put a foam wedge under the cab, tilts it back maybe 10 or fifteen degrees.

I tend to like some growl, but with this setup there was no growling to be had. I have to coax it from the bass, but this amp doesn't really growl. The cab doesn't seem to be made to be growly either, but I've got a TH350 I plan to try in the future.

How did the cab perform? Standing right in front of it, even angled up a bit, you can't tell how loud it is farther away. Fortunately there were two other bassists, so I got the opportunity to roam and hear the rig from all over. Bass was full, round, and punchy, and louder in the mix than I prefer but no one in the crowd minded. I turned the master volume down to where I (and the other bassists) wouldn't want it any lower as a bass monitor, it still filled the venue. I'm gonna hafta be careful with that.

The cab sounded terrific, very full, old school, sit nice in the mix, lows dialed back, low-mids emphasized, not honky or nasally at all, but clear. Plenty of definition and distinction in the notes (uh-oh, can't hide the clams!) One of the bass players sounded like me, the other guy was a bit funkier and without touching any knobs got a bit cleaner/crisper tone out of the rig. Far away, behind a building where bass carries and other instruments get muted, the bass was still kinda clean and not as muddy as one would expect. Same kind of thing standing behind the band.

Since I was sitting in, I didn't play "all out", I was restrained and in support mode, but the responsiveness of the speaker to my touch was excellent - maybe feels a little softer than the 212, but still really great. I don't want to fiddle with knobs, and I want a balanced, responsive sound that matches what my fingers do. That's the most important factor to me, and so far I couldn't be happier with how the cab reacts.

WRT size and weight... even with a padded LeCover, I was able to slide it into the back seat of my little 2-door BMW. And 25 lbs is so, so, so nice! Easy load in/out.

7. dawind99

dawind99 Commercial User

Mar 30, 2012
    Revsound.net and Revsound on Facebook
    Owner: Revsound
    Thought I'd share some pictures of some recent builds over the next few weeks! This an RS8 in tweed with a walnut back. 20201120_160139.jpg 20201120_160156.jpg 20201120_160125.jpg

8. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Stugilliam likes this.
  9. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    MTN.bass72 and dawind99 like this.
  10. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    The TH350 should give you more of that growl you want. So would a GK head, especially a new Fusion head but a used 400RB would do the trick. So would a Legacy.

dawind99 likes this.
  11. H Nighttrain

H Nighttrain

Feb 12, 2018
    Thanks @jeff7bass, but I have too many amps already! The Ashdown sounded more aggressive in my living room than at the open-patio gig, where it was very smooth sounding - and I mean that in a good way, it was just not exactly what I had expected. I was ready to go with the 'Hammer last Fri, but we got a late cancellation so perhaps this Friday.

Anyway this thread is all about Dave's badass cabs, I was just trying to give some perspective with my amp pairing choices - one of these days I'm sure I'll take the RS115 out with my little EA iAmp Micro to see how that sounds, too. But I consider both the Ashdown and EA as backups to the TH which is my favorite of the three.

jeff7bass likes this.
  12. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Looks like I get to test out the RS115 with a loud drummer and a deaf guitar player Saturday. Mainly looking forward to checking out the cab...:)

jeff7bass likes this.
  13. Stugilliam

Stugilliam

Apr 28, 2016
    Eastern CT
    ENJOY!!

aproud1 likes this.
  14. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Driving it with what?

15. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Aguilar AG700.

jeff7bass likes this.
  16. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Nice. Should rock loud.

17. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Finally got to push my RS115. Everyone was stupid loud, I know the guitar player (great player but almost deaf) the drummer has been on the scene a long time but hasn't played her drums in at least 3 years. It showed.... Everything was too loud and even with that volume the 2 - 4 became 1 - 3 far too may times.

Anyway the first time I really got to push the cab and boy did I. Really started to open up after about an hour or so. The handle placement on top couldn't be more perfect and it is a super easy carry. Plenty of highs, plenty of lows and plenty of in between. My Aguilar AG700 seems to be an excellent match. All the controls do what you expect and the cab responds in kind. For such a tiny, light setup it is a real stunner. Finally something I actually like more than my old beat up Genz Benz LS112 reload! Also weighs about 10 lbs less and is a lot easier to carry.

Will play with a jazz trio in a few weeks. Familiar room and group so I'll really know more about this cab. So far though, couldn't be happier. I really liked the RS210 but the RS115 is a better fit for me.

5StringPocket likes this.
  18. Stugilliam

Stugilliam

Apr 28, 2016
    Eastern CT
    That's just one of the great parts of RevSound cabs they work great with any amp and really let the sound of that amp shine through. I love both the 2-10 and my 4-10, and thanks for letting us know of your results, ENJOY!!

aproud1 likes this.
  19. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Dammit! Now you make me want to ditch my 210 and get a 115. If the used market was better, I’d probably do that. I really don’t need the volume output of a 210 with upright bass and I bet a 115 would sound killer.

aproud1 likes this.
  20. Stugilliam

Stugilliam

Apr 28, 2016
    Eastern CT
    Oh come on, your a bass player, we need new gear just to live, keep them both! Through a cloth over it and call it a end table!!

aproud1 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021