Official Revsound Bass Cab Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stumbo, Jan 4, 2018.

1. strost

strost

Oct 2, 2008
    Blacksburg, VA
    In case you wondered what a jazz bass (G&L JB) into a Mesa Subway D800+ into a Revsound RS28 sounds like...

It sounds pretty damn near perfect to me.

(sorry about the crap slap)

2. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    View attachment 2961384
    The almost new Revsound RS210T that I bought from @bertthebassist arrived today. I'm actually speechless (but you know that I'll talk, anyway). I hooked it up to a Gallien-Krueger 400RB MK II head, turned the tweeter up to the mid-point, and touched nothing else. The bass I used was the Fender AmElite Jazz in passive mode.

Holy CARP! This thing is smokin', and I don't mean that in a sad, fried, Trace Elliot Elf sort of way. Crisp, clear high end, tight lows, with presence for days. Very clean, well rounded sound with NO boom at all (surprising for a ported cab), all in a 35lb package. It's pretty bright sounding to me with the tweeter in that position and I have some high end hearing loss, so I expect I'll roll off a little bit there. It's so much better to have more than you need as opposed to not enough.

And, of course, at 4 ohms it's plenty efficient for my current needs. I am not playing any huge rooms at the moment and, if I do, I can always mic up or go direct.

I had every intention of hanging onto the SWR cabinet that I have been dragging to gigs with me, but this cabinet is making me feel like I'll have no regrets at all if I sell the SWR. I can't even think of any reason to ever take it out of the practice room again. I can't wait to take this puppy out for a test drive on stage :)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    Thwack, Stumbo, 9mmMike and 1 other person like this.
  3. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Nice! Good to hear. Have a RS210 on order and plan to drive with a GK700.

Please give us a gig report once you have it out and about.

Pbassmanca, Stumbo and LBS-bass like this.
  4. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    See if you can go FOH! Your report already portends good things. :thumbsup:

Thwack and LBS-bass like this.
  5. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    You will be so pleased with it, I bet!

I have a gig in two weeks in a brew pub that might be the right room for this, but I don't know as I've never been there. Have another gig the following week that I'm sure I will use it for.

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    I suggest taking it to the brew pub and seeing how it does as a test. Maybe even bring one if your other cabs as a backup.

LBS-bass likes this.
  7. dawind99

dawind99 Commercial User

Mar 30, 2012
    Revsound.net and Revsound on Facebook
    Owner: Revsound
    I'd set it at 60Hz. I'm guessing the HP is a first order and has a 12db slope, and that would be a comfortable point to start.

Stumbo likes this.
  8. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Hey Dave,
    Is there an option to build a 2x8 the same width as the 4x8V? From what I read, the 4x8V is 13" wide vs. 15" wide for standard 2x8?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    Pbassmanca likes this.
  9. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    I got a call from Dave today asking if there was anything he could do to help me. This is the level of service he provides to someone who has purchased a used cabinet. And you know what? That's what will propel him to great things. I didn't tell him this story, but Paul Reed Smith was a friend of mine back in the (very early) day, and that's exactly how he did it.

It was a pleasure to speak with him and let him know that he has at least two new fans here in California.

Yep, I said two. I had one of my musical collaborators over yesterday, who was highly skeptical about what this new cab would deliver. He's a big fan of SWR. We did our practice and he said that it sounds great but of course he'd like to have it A/B'd against the SWR, so I did that. He just stood there, kind of beside himself, and finally he said, "You know what? That's a great sounding cabinet."

Honestly, the SWR sounded pretty lame compared to the RevSound. And I love the SWR. But I'm loving this RevSound so much more. Thank you, Dave!

dawind99, Thwack, RoadRanger and 4 others like this.
  10. dawind99

dawind99 Commercial User

Mar 30, 2012
    Thank you for the kind words Laura. It was very nice talking with you and I am so stoked you're enjoying the cabinet!

RoadRanger and LBS-bass like this.
  11. dawind99

dawind99 Commercial User

Mar 30, 2012
    I actually revisited the design a few weeks ago and will be building a prototype and testing it within the next few weeks. I'll keep you posted.

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Excited to hear this! What kind of changes are you making David?

Stumbo likes this.
  13. dawind99

dawind99 Commercial User

Mar 30, 2012
    Well, I really wanted the cabinet to be vertically aligned which is always my preference, but initially the form factor didn't want to work and seemed a bit precarious with a head on top. Porting and keeping the volume as small as it needed to be was also an issue. And after building the first cabinet it just performed so well I was more than satisfied. Since then I've spent three years with the driver in different configurations and have a knowledge that is experience based vs "predicted" of what the driver can do and it continues to surprise me. After being out on gigs for two years with the RS48VT I don't question it's ability to perform. So, I decided to revisit and managed to vertically align the drivers, and fit a port I wanted on the baffle and maintain power handling to 350 watts full bandwidth while keeping the response curve almost identical. Whether it will sound significantly different or the look is interesting I can't say, but it will be fun to find out. I think the RS28 is just pretty perfect in so many ways and has a place that no other cabinet fits as well. And, it is always great to see the expressions when it's played for the first time.

Thwack, strost, Thundar and 1 other person like this.
  14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I couldn't agree more about it filling a space that nothing else has existed in previously. It's a really amazing cab

Stumbo likes this.
  15. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    I'm really enjoying it. Had a good rehearsal with it tonight; such a pleasure hearing all that clean definition while locking in with the bass drum. It'll be going with me a week from this Friday to a gig, and I'm really excited to hear how it sounds in a bigger room with some real power behind it.

Stumbo and dawind99 like this.
  16. Thwack

Thwack

Oct 5, 2010
    Seattle
    Hey ,
    I can now request acceptance into the Offical RevSound Owners Club!! David shipped it out today and UPS says I’ll have it next Friday!!
    410VT and it’s gorgeous!
    I’ll have more to report after it arrives. 5CFD17D3-9AAE-4D96-9DA2-3CAE497CC5D4.jpeg

LeftyD, Jerry Ziarko, aproud1 and 2 others like this.
  17. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Beautiful! Love the color. Does it match your bass?

18. Thwack

Thwack

Oct 5, 2010
    Seattle
    Thanks!!
    I actually don’t have a seafoam bass at this time but my cables are all matching at least. :)

LBS-bass likes this.
  19. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Welcome to the club! Cool looking cab. Looking forward to your review.

Thwack likes this.
  20. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Nice. The green works. Now you need a mid century modern bass to go with it.

My RS210 should be close to done.

Stumbo and Thwack like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021