Official Slap and Pop Sticky Request

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Drake Kennedy, Feb 4, 2006.

1. I think there should be one. Just a compilation of various slap and pop related techniques (basics, double thump, double pop, etc...).

I'm surprised there isn't one already.

2. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    me too. i need to learn some new skills.

3. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    *sigh* I love Marcus Miller, Wooten, and Stanley Clarke... I used to love slapping, but every time I walk into a music store I see somebody trying their hardest to play Higher Ground. I slap every once in a while. Just to add effect, but when it's overdone it makes a bass groove sound crappy... There's lesson one for the sticky ;)

4. I definitely agree.
    I also feel that the way a slapped note rings gives such a fat thump to a beat, sometimes it's better. But more often than not, it's overdone.
    But this isn't 'How not to be a n00b', I made this to gather all the slap technique into one FAQ, so people will stop saying 'How do I double thump?" over and over.
    Plus I think that if 3 fingered playing gets a sticky, why shouldn't slap?

5. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Drake... What you're doing is a very good idea and may be done... but you really think posting a sticky will get people to stop asking question like that? It hasn't happened before why should it now? lol... I don't understand why forum creators add the "search" function or "sticky" function.. nobody uses them!

6. Well at least now the mods can say "Look at the FAQ"
    ;)

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I love slapping on my own time, but my band has been fading from the Funk and lately i find myself not wanting to slap in the band setting. Theres only one song that we play currently that i slap in.

8. ...
    I didn't really mean for this to be a discussion of the slap style's usefullness.

What do you mods think of this idea?

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well pardon me.