Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Official Slap and Pop Sticky Request

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Drake Kennedy, Feb 4, 2006.

1. I think there should be one. Just a compilation of various slap and pop related techniques (basics, double thump, double pop, etc...).

I'm surprised there isn't one already.

2. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    me too. i need to learn some new skills.

3. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    *sigh* I love Marcus Miller, Wooten, and Stanley Clarke... I used to love slapping, but every time I walk into a music store I see somebody trying their hardest to play Higher Ground. I slap every once in a while. Just to add effect, but when it's overdone it makes a bass groove sound crappy... There's lesson one for the sticky ;)

4. I definitely agree.
    I also feel that the way a slapped note rings gives such a fat thump to a beat, sometimes it's better. But more often than not, it's overdone.
    But this isn't 'How not to be a n00b', I made this to gather all the slap technique into one FAQ, so people will stop saying 'How do I double thump?" over and over.
    Plus I think that if 3 fingered playing gets a sticky, why shouldn't slap?

5. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Drake... What you're doing is a very good idea and may be done... but you really think posting a sticky will get people to stop asking question like that? It hasn't happened before why should it now? lol... I don't understand why forum creators add the "search" function or "sticky" function.. nobody uses them!

6. Well at least now the mods can say "Look at the FAQ"
    ;)

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I love slapping on my own time, but my band has been fading from the Funk and lately i find myself not wanting to slap in the band setting. Theres only one song that we play currently that i slap in.

8. ...
    I didn't really mean for this to be a discussion of the slap style's usefullness.

What do you mods think of this idea?

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well pardon me.