1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

OFFICIAL Steinberger Synapse club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PDavyduck, Mar 26, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Mark4

Mark4

Oct 21, 2007
    It's my understanding that white is the only gloss finish in the Synapse line. The rest are matte/satin.

On a slightly different topic, is the consensus that Status strings are slightly longer and therefore fit better than standard length double-ball strings? If so, how much longer are they typically? I've been using the adapters with conventional single-ball strings on my white XS-15FPA for the past couple years. No problems so far, but I might like to go back to double-ball at some point.

2. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Good to know, thanks for that. Learned something today.
    I know I have seen a thread here with actual dimensions but I haven't been able to find it. It's out there...
    But I recall something like 10mm, and here's why...
    'Real' Steinberger (i.e. pre-Synapse) are mostly too short even when the tuner shaft is fully extended.
    If you look at how much longer they'd have to be to fit well, 3/8" seems about right.
    For a while I was buying up double sets as they appeared in the classifieds and it wouldn't surprise me to discover I've got some of each. Busy day (busy week, actually...) so I can't just go measure them right now. When I get a chance I'll go through them and see what I've got - with dimensions...
    I have no idea who made the OEM Synapse strings or what happened to any leftover stock.

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Speaking of which...

I was in a small mom 'n pop store last week and they had a really nice looking black Synapse 4 in the used gear section. Can't recall the price but I believe it was well-under 6 bills. If anybody is interested, I can assist, choreograph, etc.

Riis

4. Odinbass

Odinbass

Dec 6, 2006
    Cleveland, OH
    Hey! Can I join? I just got my Synapse yesterday, first gig on Friday. I can't wait for my bandmates to be like "*** is that??"

No more knocking my singer with the headstock and going out of tune!

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Excellent! Nonetheless, most singers need knocked in the head at least once or twice during a gig to prevent them from falling into a realm of false-security, mediocrity, etc...keeps 'em alert & on their toes knowing that, at any moment, a chunk of hardrock maple is about to connect.

Riis

BassikLee and Fletz like this.
  6. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Welcome! Pardon the delay, I've been scrambling to recover from a computer meltdown...

# 1 - PDavyduck
    # 2 - Davyo
    # 3 - los100malditos
    # 4 - CelticWarrior72
    # 5 - LanEvo
    # 6 - sputech
    # 7 - pacojas
    # 8 - ArtechnikA
    # 9 - joenoone
    #10 - musicman7722
    #11 - HeavyDuty
    #12 - SugarDaddy
    #13 - PeaveyPlayer
    #14 - anzoid
    #15 - johnnyhaggis
    #16 - Fletz
    #17 - Odinbass

7. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    A small but mighty group. Like our steinbergers.

Felix Lopez likes this.
  8. johnnyhaggis

johnnyhaggis

Feb 21, 2009
    by the way, for the string length issue, i use status nylon tapewound and they fit perfectly on the synapse, as do labella tapewounds. they also fit perfectly on my hohner b2a.

9. johnnyhaggis

johnnyhaggis

Feb 21, 2009
    oh and question: does anyone know of a good guitar forum where i might find a synapse transcale guitar? they were going for about $500 on ebay, but havent been there for awhile, and they never pop up locally on craigslist or kijiji.

10. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    So, I've been toying with grabbing or building a headless bass in the last few months. My eBay addiction, coupled with a watchful eye has allowed me to procure a synapse five body, with broken truss rod, as well as a headpiece, and a bridge. Once the bridge arrives, I'll string her up, see what the neck does. If I have to do surgery, I will. Truss rod replacement isn't rocket science. I've done two others thus far. Both spectors, both successful. If the synapse works out, it'll prolly get an alumitone bass bar. We shall see.

11. johnnyhaggis

johnnyhaggis

Feb 21, 2009
    be careful - I did that same operation and the hard thing is you need to remove the fretboard, which is phenolic, so you cant use normal methods without melting or warping it. you need to heat up a big hot knife.

BassikLee likes this.
  12. Yikes

13. joenoone

joenoone

Mar 21, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I was never able to find a Steinberger branded 5-string flatwound set like what came with my fretless. I've used a variety of 5-string double-ball sets from Status Graphite (e.g. flatwound, half-wound, tape-wound) and they've always fit just fine on my Synapse.

I had the misfortune of the first time I tried to use the built-in single-ball string adapter two of the clamps shattered. I spent years trying to get them replaced. I had the part numbers but Gibson won't sell to individuals and every chain I went to to help me order them couldn't get Gibson to sell it to them either. A big 'ol PITA...

14. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    I received the bridge assembly, and put the bass together. The good news is that while the truss rod is broken, the neck is not a total noodle. I think the graphite channel the rod lives in is helping with that. The band I'm in also tunes a half step flat. That also helps.

While this bridge came with the piezo, I really prefer individual saddles on my basses. The good news is that the saddles from a Spector bridge drop right into the synapse assembly, almost as if the Spector was designed by Ned Steinberger. See what I did there??

This bass currently has an EMG 40HZ, and the three band bassmods pre. Worx goodly. My plan is to play it until my other headless project bass is completed, then do the rod surgery on this one.

Attached Files:

HeavyDuty likes this.
  15. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Interesting! I may need to try changing out the saddle in one of mine for the Spector saddles. Care to write up a little more on what was involved to do this?

16. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL

Sure, the piezo assembly is one piece. I just pulled it, and its attached cable, and dropped the saddles in place. Took maybe a minute.

HeavyDuty likes this.
  17. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Finished bass, almost. I went with an EMG 40DC and the BQC system. The middle of the three tone pots is a dummy. Two stacked. If you look at the strings, they don't seem too far over toward the G string side. The Spector saddles are very slightly less wide than the piezo assembly, like maybe 1/8", total. The set screw still grabs them and locks them down.

Attached Files:

HeavyDuty likes this.
  18. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Where did you source the Spector saddles? I'm thinking that I'd leave my fretless alone but change over my fretted. I also like your idea of gutting the stock electronics - I've always been a fan of EMGs and could very easily be talked into a rework like you did.

19. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    I sourced the saddles from one of my spector bridges. Ymmv. As for a rework, I bought this bass in pieces. The body/neck was $39, cuz of the broken truss rod. Headpiece and bridge each bought separately. So far, not counting electronics or shipping, I'm into this bass for just under $200.

I do have one Alumitone bass bar, and since this is a single pickup bass....

20. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hmmm. I need to call EMG and see what's involved in doing a BQS system without the pan pot.