1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

OFFICIAL Steinberger Synapse club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PDavyduck, Mar 26, 2010.

Tags:
  1. joenoone

joenoone

Mar 21, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I emailed a few months ago when they had on their website that they were working on getting strings again and asked. I was told they'll update the site with info as they know. Now they have nothing about their previous string shortage and aren't replying to my emails asking about it, so I guess it's permanent...

2. acroce

acroce

Sep 8, 2007
    Central Italy
    Hi everyone,
    this thread was started seven years ago and it would be nice to hear now, after all these years, the impression of many passionate Synapse bass owners who wrote love words about their basses.
    It is now clear that Gibson have completely lost their interest in the Steinberger brand, that no spare parts will ever be available for these instruments and that the Synapse line has shown some limits in its design which caused many of its owners quite a few problems.
    I'm from Italy and recently had my first 4-string Synapse, a black one. I had in the past an 80's Hohner B2A for a few months and, despite being not so impressed by its sound, I appreciated the ease of use of the small bodied headless construction and decided for this reason to find a Steinberger. It wasn't easy to find a Synapse, these seem now rather scarce, both on the Internet and on local marketplaces, but in the end I'm very satisfied both for the price I paid and the feeling and sound of the instrument.

As far as I could read there are two major problems connected with the Synapse basses, for what their techincal specifications are concerned: the fragile truss rod which tends to snap and the string adapter screws that are prone to break.
    The bass I bought had a perfectly set truss rod which works with no problems, but one of the string adapter clamps is broken, the original owner referred that it shattered on his first attempt to use regular strings. This is not a major issue, considering that double ball end strings are rather common to find, but regular strings would surely give a better choice.

My question is: does any member of the glorious "Synapse Clubb" have a spare 4-string headpiece or has anyone faced and solved the headpiece screw issue before?
    Thanks

3. I am still using my black 5 string after maybe 4 years now.. It is my main bass. I am not overall happy with the pickups, i would like to change them out but so far haven't done any research on the project.

4. Duca

Duca

Jul 25, 2012
    Friuli, Italy
    I'm from Italy too. I once had a four string Synapse with the same problem and a luthier solved it.

5. Felix Lopez

Felix Lopez

May 15, 2018
    New to the club!
    This is a test... image1.

HeavyDuty likes this.
  6. Felix Lopez

Felix Lopez

May 15, 2018
    Question:
    Is the OFFICIAL Steinberger Synapse club still up?

7. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    You're posting here, aren't you? ;)

It doesn't get a lot of traffic...
    I've resigned from the position of 'number-allocator' since I no longer have my Synapses - hoping someone else will take up the torch, but it's been a long time since anyone asked for a number.

8. Felix Lopez

Felix Lopez

May 15, 2018
    Thank you ArtechnikA!
    I am glad to see that it is still working...It is good even if It doesn't get a lot of traffic...
    I wonder how many of the member still have Synapses and are still active.
    I have many questions about the Steinberger Synapse XS-15FPA 5-String Bass.
    I own one, and like it very much.

Attached Files:

9. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    I still follow the thread because I learned a lot about Synapses while I had mine.
    Ask away! Someone will be able to help you.
    I liked mine, but the day came when I had to admit that I never played them and it was time to let them go to someone who would make use of them.

10. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    I have one that I bought as a project bass. Busted truss rod, but strung up with lighter strings it's playable. I sold the bridge/tuner assembly, so she's currently sitting.

11. Felix Lopez

Felix Lopez

May 15, 2018
    Any recommendations for double ball strings for the Synapse XS-15FPA 5-String? and where to buy them?

Attached Files:

12. Felix Lopez

Felix Lopez

May 15, 2018
    What is this for? It doesn't change anything at all!

Attached Files:

13. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Volume balance treble bass

I believe

14. acroce

acroce

Sep 8, 2007
    Central Italy
    Yes, the large knob is a master volume, the three small ones are for balance (piezo/EMG), treble and bass, all with center detent. To be honest the tone controls work in a very subtle way, hence the impression they don't change anything.

Regarding the question made by Felix, I'm still currently using my 4-string Synapse and I'm very satisfied with it: it's the most comfortable bass I have, easy to play with a slim and fast neck and perfectly balanced, its 3.8 Kg weight is almost unperceived once the bass is on the strap. I had to face the breaking headpiece string clamps issue finding a perfectly working solution that I described elsewhere on this site and after many attempts found the best use of this bass with light strings. I currently use a single ball end GHS Boomers B52s light set (035-095).

Felix Lopez likes this.
  15. Felix Lopez

Felix Lopez

May 15, 2018
    THANK YOU!

16. Felix Lopez

Felix Lopez

May 15, 2018
    Thank you for your response acroce! Can you share a picture of your Synapse?

17. Felix Lopez

Felix Lopez

May 15, 2018
    I really like this case!

18. acroce

acroce

Sep 8, 2007
    Central Italy
    Here it is, it's a black one although the glare makes it look almost blue

Steinberger_Synapse_XS1FPA_3.

19. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member